Patch 4.2: We Bid Thy Keyring Adieu

How about simply removing all keys from the game as they no longer serve a purpose? What is the point of requiring BC heroics to have keys? Why do we need a key to enter kara? Just remove keys from the game and unlock everything that was previously locked.
83 Night Elf Druid
All well and good ... BUT WHAT ACHIEVEMENTS ARE YOU GOING TO ALSO REMOVE??

Blizz did this crap some time ago and removed the Keymaster Achievement and never converted it to a FoS, without adequate prior communication ... so the question IS pertinent.

This is what I came to request: You're going to give back Keymaster at some point, right Blizzard? I haven't forgotten.
05/23/2011 11:28 AMPosted by Alkaid
honestly people, you're not losing anything here! quit turning this anthill into a mountain. sure blacksmiths will have to carry keys in their inventory, oh well, its a very small population of the game affected by this change.

I find it interesting you're defending this move with a guildname like that. :P

If anything, your guild name is EXACTLY what this product needs!
Edited by Leafhoof on 5/23/2011 11:31 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/23/2011 11:28 AMPosted by Zabre
How about simply removing all keys from the game as they no longer serve a purpose? What is the point of requiring BC heroics to have keys? Why do we need a key to enter kara? Just remove keys from the game and unlock everything that was previously locked.

You missed a very important post. They ARE removing nearly all keys. BC heroics won't require them, Karazhan won't require one, nor will Algalon or Malygos.

The remaining keys will be quest items and BS keys. BS's don't get much room to complain because Engineers make a Seaforium which does the same as a key but doesn't fit in a key bag.
85 Tauren Druid
05/23/2011 11:28 AMPosted by Alkaid
honestly people, you're not losing anything here!
RP and vanity.
85 Tauren Druid
05/23/2011 11:31 AMPosted by Ehcks
BS's don't get much room to complain because Engineers make a Seaforium which does the same as a key but doesn't fit in a key bag.

So the homogenization monster rears it's ugly head again, huh?
70 Worgen Rogue
So, did you guys run out of things to nerf? LOL...
85 Orc Death Knight
Hmm I see it already in a few weeks.

*NEW PREMIUM FEATURE* Extra bag slot

We can now allow those who pay for this premium feature to get access to another bag slot. This is due to our removal of the key ring from all players. Enjoy Premium members!
90 Night Elf Druid
You missed a very important post. They ARE removing nearly all keys. BC heroics won't require them, Karazhan won't require one, nor will Algalon or Malygos.

The remaining keys will be quest items and BS keys. BS's don't get much room to complain because Engineers make a Seaforium which does the same as a key but doesn't fit in a key bag.

I think your missing the point. Why get rid of a perfectly useful place to store items that people spent a lot of time to get, just to save room for something else. And if they are putting the dungeon journal in its place, why not put it in with the map. But who am I but just a lowly player.
90 Tauren Warrior
So, in other words, the 10 stacks of Blacksmithing keys sitting in my keyring will be transferred to my already-crowded bags and Blizzard seems to think that this will enhance my overall gaming experience.

Add in 5 keys for unlocking the BC Heroic dungeons, coffer, door and chest keys, keys of sentimental value (that will probably be purged to save a few cents of bandwidth), and that's even more bag space that I do not currently have.

Gold has been much easier to obtain since Cataclysm launched, but I'm not rich enough to pay 6k for each 4-slot upgrade to my bags just because the keyring has disappeared to make more icon space. If anything, can't they just thin the dividers between each button or remove the useless gryphons from the UI instead of deleting something that has actually been useful?

Meanwhile, my auto-attack and Glyph of Intimidating Shout are still broken, with no blue post in sight on the Bug Report forums. If anything, this is just a waste of time. Why remove the keyring when it's been doing its job and no one's complaining about it?
85 Draenei Shaman
05/23/2011 10:49 AMPosted by Bashiok
We still have a number of keys that serve a purpose. Heroic BC, for example. Karazhan. We still want to be able to access that content, so will key requirements be removed from those?

Key requirements are removed from the examples you gave, and should be for all other similar examples. Our intent is not to remove the Keyring and then throw a bunch of keys into your normal bags, so we're going through and making changes to more or less finalize the move away from using keys that began midway through Burning Crusade.

Glad to see that the key attunement stuff is being removed from them since you're ditching my keyring. If the requirement for them wasn't going to be removed would of made me sad to have to ditch a lot of my arch toys or perma-transform items or old tier sets to make room for keys. Because atm with all 22-24 slotters on character and bank, This toons bank is full and I have the basic 16 slot backpack available.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/23/2011 11:32 AMPosted by Ormula
honestly people, you're not losing anything here!
RP and vanity.

How do you RP keys? No one can see that you have a key. There is no graphic for a key that other people can see you using.

So you're opening a locked item? How hard is it to RP that the item is locked and that you are unlocking it?
90 Blood Elf Warlock

You're correct that Seaforium doesn't fit in any key rings, but it does fit in the Engineer bags, the largest of which is a 36 slot bag, 10 slots more than the largest bag that Blacksmiths would be limited to for their keys
90 Night Elf Hunter
05/23/2011 11:04 AMPosted by Addyison
This is another change that, once again, benefits NO ONE, and simply inconveniences the players who like to collect things and who have appreciation for and run the older content.

As far as I'm concerned, this is just the latest example of the lack of planning and foresight on Blizz's part that has prompted many to express concern over the direction that development is taking. As we have already seen, 600k have voted with their feet.
Edited by Vladimir on 5/23/2011 11:36 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin

You're correct that Seaforium doesn't fit in any key rings, but it does fit in the Engineer bags, the largest of which is a 36 slot bag, 10 slots more than the largest bag that Blacksmiths would be limited to for their keys

So ask for Blacksmithing bags.
85 Orc Shaman
Blizzard focuses on and "fixes" the strangest things, while glaring issues just drag on and on ....
85 Blood Elf Paladin
05/23/2011 11:24 AMPosted by Ehcks
You do realize that blacksmiths are able to make keys to open lockboxes, right? And they exist with Cata release. It's even trainer taught. Obsidium Skeleton Key. So blacksmith keys will be left in bag spaces.

Engineers can make Seaforium. This type of item exists only to unlock things, exactly the same as any key.

Seaforium can not fit in a key bag. You'll get used to it if you have to store keys in your regular bags.
Not on top of my ZG gear, tabards, and Link items I kept for sentimental reasons or because Blizz feels everyone should wear tabards not representing guilds to get reputation.
85 Tauren Druid
05/23/2011 11:35 AMPosted by Fuzzeh
remove the useless gryphons from the UI instead of deleting something that has actually been useful?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Even this is more preferable to such an unwarranted change. Not to mention it made me laugh.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]