Stealing mats against the rules?

38 Orc Shaman
I have not had the luxury of having my mats stolen before but I was just curious.

If there is an agreement in chat that if you give them the mats and they will in turn give you what you want, and they throw you on ignore after getting the mats from you and fly away can you take any action other than whining about it on the forums or in /2?

Like I said, no one has done this to me but everytime I hand over 4 maelstrom crystals for a weapon chant on one of my toons, I piss my pants in anticipation if it will pay off.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Lay the terms out very clearly to the person you are giving the mats to, in order to avoid any confusion or grief.

When I hand over mats to anyone, so I say in whisper or party chat " Confirming that i'm handing you mats and gold for use of your chaos orbs to craft me X item " or "Confirming I am handing you mats to cretae X enchant for me."

If someone messes around, open a ticket and take pleasure in seeing him login no longer after the GM deals with him. ( temporarily, bliz doesnt ban peeps permanently else they lose $15 a month. Even scammers have their utility. )

Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
If there is an agreement in the chat logs, it is considered scamming and will be actioned as appropriate should you choose to report it. If it can be determined that they indeed scam you, you will likely get your mats back.
Edited by Bubbajoe on 5/17/2011 9:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
If you have made an agreement through chat, it is a reportable offense that Blizz can confirm through chat records. Make sure to include information about which characters (yours and theirs) were involved, which server, and the server time of the agreement and attempted transaction.
Edited by Tiakatt on 5/17/2011 10:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Max is correct. As long as you've stated the agreement in chat (a monitored channel, such as /t or /p) you should be fine. You don't even need to be terribly specific, just say something like "I have the mats for [X item], can you craft it for me? I will tip Y gold." If they agree and you make the trade, you're covered if they bail in the middle. Likewise, if you fail to pay up, they can get you nailed in the same way.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Blizzard can also track your character-to-character whispers.

Not sure if they track RealID convos or not. But you shouldn't have anyone on your RealID who is likely to actually scam you ;)
Edited by Tiakatt on 5/17/2011 10:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
You can report it as scamming, and the GMs will ban/suspend that player and you will get your mats back.
Reply Quote
05/17/2011 09:55 AMPosted by Maxdps
If someone messes around, open a ticket and take pleasure in seeing him login no longer after the GM deals with him. ( temporarily, bliz doesnt ban peeps permanently else they lose $15 a month. Even scammers have their utility. )

This is not true. Someone that keeps it up will work their way up the prenatally volcano to a perma-ban. At some point, the GM time dealing with their ass-hattery and maybe other players leaving the game because they were scammed out weighs the scammer's $15 /month.
Reply Quote
Screen shot is your friend. I took a screen shot of all the mat for the Sandstone Drake and in the conversation clearly stated I wanted the Sandstone and how much I was willing to pay to have it made.
Reply Quote
from a past experience on a friends account i can say that GMs do fix people stealing mats.

mats were passed over, an item was crafted, and then the crafter laughed at my friend and put it up in the AH. A ticket was put in, and when he logged in the next morning the crafted item was in his mail and he had a GM note saying "thank you for your ticket, here is your item, we can't tell you what happened to the crafter".

it was obvious though as we never saw the guy again and this was before paid realm transfers or paid renames.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
05/17/2011 10:29 AMPosted by Dinadan
Screen shot is your friend. I took a screen shot of all the mat for the Sandstone Drake and in the conversation clearly stated I wanted the Sandstone and how much I was willing to pay to have it made.

Unnecessary, as GMs have access to chat logs which is more proof than a screenshot.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
05/17/2011 10:29 AMPosted by Dinadan

Screen shots are not necessary unless you're taking it purely for your own records. blizzard logs virtually everything that happens in game. They can go through their logs and see your agreement as well as what was traded.

Also, blizzard does not accept screen shots as proof in any circumstances. They can be easily doctored and are not a reliable source of information when they have logs on their end that cannot be tampered with.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Heya Grelak,
I have not had the luxury of having my mats stolen before but I was just curious.

If there is an agreement in chat that if you give them the mats and they will in turn give you what you want, and they throw you on ignore after getting the mats from you and fly away can you take any action other than whining about it on the forums or in /2?

Like I said, no one has done this to me but everytime I hand over 4 maelstrom crystals for a weapon chant on one of my toons, I piss my pants in anticipation if it will pay off.
As long as there is a clear agreement in chat inside the game and not outside of the game, it can be investigated and considered a scam, if the agreement is not met.

Please visit our Scam policy for more information here: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/20459
Edited by Zenlyth on 5/17/2011 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Psst, Strickenxx - this thread is from June 2011 - it's best not to 'necro' older thread :p
Reply Quote
23 Tauren Hunter
08/27/2012 11:42 PMPosted by Nephe
Psst, Strickenxx - this thread is from June 2011 - it's best not to 'necro' older thread :p
Just FYI, 5/17/11 is May, not June. lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]