RealID cross realm dungeon grouping thread#11

90 Human Paladin
05/19/2011 06:52 PMPosted by Search
they wouldn't be reporting record profits if the gap between sales and cost was closing..

If anything their costs should be going down. This is not a new game and at this point their huge initial investment has more then been recovered. Yes there are ongoing costs and those do vary depending on their development cycles, but they are hugely successful and to be honest are not exactly a bargain in the MMO world. The game client with expansions is comparatively expensive, and the monthly fee is not a penny less than what I'd consider the industry standard and hasn't dropped since the game started.
85 Undead Priest
I read the first thread, some of the second. I don't have the patience to read all the others for this little point.

The idea itself, no matter if it costs money or not, is likely to open up a cottage industry for people. Example:

"372 iLvL tank, WTS my realID info. $40 for the info, $10 paypal per Heroic tanked."

However, I have little to no opinion as to the RealID service costing extra or not.

That's not only violating the terms of service, but is, in fact, illegal to do, and blizzard could sue you for making money off of their game, and by god they'd easily win that case =)
I don't think this is illegal. I don't know of anyone who has been successfully sued for charging to play a game for someone.
23 Worgen Rogue
05/19/2011 03:59 PMPosted by Rhineheart
I for one sincerly hope that I am wrong because as more players leave, the more "premium" features will be implemented to make up for the loss.

...and the more "premium" features that are implemented, the more players will leave. Doesn't seem like a good tactic.

...and the more "premium" features that are implemented, the more players will leave. Doesn't seem like a good tactic.
Edited by Gunthrr on 5/20/2011 3:51 AM PDT
85 Dwarf Warrior
Does blizzard get the point yet that making this a paid service is a bad idea? theres eleven threads on it, 10 capped and 11th a few pages away from being so, hopefully they realize forcing us to pay for this service is bad idea and will make it a service we do not have to pay for or just not implement it at all either way is nice.
05/20/2011 04:12 AMPosted by Anrius
Does blizzard get the point yet that making this a paid service is a bad idea? theres eleven threads on it, 10 capped and 11th a few pages away from being so, hopefully they realize forcing us to pay for this service is bad idea and will make it a service we do not have to pay for or just not implement it at all either way is nice.

they will probably make a post on it in the coming days, the realid change took abit for them to discuss it in a meeting or whatever before getting back to us. fairly reasonable honestly, im sure our feedback is going to good use.

if it doesn't well.. there will be less monthly subscribers around to even buy such a "premium" service

it's funny, after about 4+ years of playing this game i never could wrap my head around how i would stop playing this game. however, essential barring off content for "normal" subscribers that would make me and my long term friends ive met over the years be able to play together daily is actually offensive enough to me that it warrants quiting. it's been a great run it really has, i just hope it continues- if it doesn't. ah well its been quite an adventure
85 Human Mage
I hope they drop the idea entirely. Scrap it. Leave it the way it is. If for some reason my friends are on a different server than my toons, then I can either create a new toon on their server or pay to transfer my toons. Keep it like it is.
59 Goblin Hunter
05/20/2011 04:12 AMPosted by Anrius

So you would rather not have it exist, than just not use it? What about all the people that think its fine? Why shouldn't they get to have it?

And seriously people I spent $17 bucks on lunch yesterday.

So you would rather not have it exist, than just not use it? What about all the people that think its fine? Why shouldn't they get to have it?

Wanna pay for our subscriptions since you have money to spare? :) Not all of us have enough luxury to spend such amounts on lunch or games. We do sometimes though, because you gotta have a little fun in your life. Sometimes the price is just a bit too..steep.
Edited by Gunthrr on 5/20/2011 5:39 AM PDT
80 Tauren Druid
Playing with friends is an immensely more enjoyable and successful experience than playing with strangers.

This system has so much more potential than anybody realizes and it's being squashed out of the starting gate by it's very creators.

If Blizzard puts a paid gate up, and says 'This group gets to play with their friends any time they want, and this other group gets to play with random jerkwad strangers more often than not', it's brutally money grubbing.

If Blizzard expects me to pay ($15) to have the option to pay ($3) to play with a selection of people of my choice, they are mistaken.

There's a very large segment of wow users that believe, contrary to the corporate/Facebook program, what their mothers and teachers taught them - that spraying your personal information, name, and email address onto the net is a very bad idea.

If Blizzard requires Real ID to use this system of cross-server invites, it will only be encouraging the most irresponsible of behaviours in order to play with others of a skill level and temperament of our choice.

If Blizzard launches this service as a paid service requiring Real ID, I won't be renewing my subscription.

If Blizzard launches this service gratis, requiring Real ID to use it, I will be falsifying my name with Blizzard in order to use the system with impunity, as many others will as well, and I and everybody else who chooses to do so will start signing each other up like mad and I will get a much better grouping experience under the name of Zaeed Massani.

If Blizzard launches this service gratis, without the requirement of Real ID, or implements a Real-Alias type system, I will be mollified, but my trust in the company would still be damaged.

If Blizzard releases this service gratis, without a real-name requirement, and issues a statement from the CEO with a firm demarcation of what premium services they are planning to offer in future, and if said services are ethical and well-principled in nature, I'll be okay.

It's an MMO. Don't implement a system that could be so awesome for promoting bonding and playing in a community of friends, and put a price tag above and beyond the regular one on it. Don't even use Real ID, please, because many people have legitimate concerns about the nature of that feature as we saw so powerfully in the Real-ID forums fiasco, and it would have the effect of damping this feature's use. You've already got cross-server grouping - if we care to do so with random dweebs. Make it better, don't make it worse. Promote friend-making like what used to happen before the LFD came into being, where we'd all choose to friend that awesome tank or healer we met in a pug, and chat them up later and run s'more dungeons with them.

Bring the community back with this incredible, potentially game-changing feature. Up the dang subscription fee for all of us if you must, but make this egalitarian.

Blizzard, "I beg to assure you that I have never written you, or spoken to you, in greater kindness of feeling than now, nor with a fuller purpose to sustain you, so far as in my most anxious judgment, I consistently can. But you must act."

TLDR?

Think the community's bad? Play with friends.
Wanna play with friends? PAY FOR IT! MWHAAHHAHAHA
85 Human Mage
05/20/2011 05:33 AMPosted by Cithere

I agree. I would like it. I would pay for it. But, I'm thinking they should scrap it. 11+ threads of QQ are enough. Just scrap it. It was a nice idea that seemed to outrage the community, so scrap it. It's something we currently can't do so not a problem. Nothing taken away. I think only a minority would have used it anyway in reality. It's not that difficult to find 5 for a dungeon group, and that's all Blizz stated it would be usable for. I wouldn't have needed or used it for that. Of course, I must be strange in that I tend to roll toons on servers my friends are already on.
85 Draenei Paladin
I agree. I would like it. I would pay for it. But, I'm thinking they should scrap it. 11+ threads of QQ are enough. Just scrap it.

That would be a worst case scenario.

I would rather see them implement it as a premium service than not at all. I would still decline to reactivate my subscription and tell my friends to stay away from WoW, but I'm not going to gloat over the idea of "ruining" it for those who would be willing to pay just because I have huge misgivings over it.

The cat's already out of the bag. I don't think Blizzard can just go, "Hey, let's forget this ever happened."
85 Human Mage
Perhaps this was said already, but I feel it should be said (again).

Money speaks louder than words with a company. If you really want to get your point across, go to account management and cancel your account. You don't lose any of the information, characters, items, money, etc. if you cancel. It all stays there, and you can go back at anytime.

I am sure Rift wouldn't mind having a couple thousand more subscribers...
85 Human Mage
05/20/2011 06:02 AMPosted by Parenthesis
I agree. I would like it. I would pay for it. But, I'm thinking they should scrap it. 11+ threads of QQ are enough. Just scrap it.

That would be a worst case scenario.

I would rather see them implement it as a premium service than not at all. I would still decline to reactivate my subscription and tell my friends to stay away from WoW, but I'm not going to gloat over the idea of "ruining" it for those who would be willing to pay just because I have huge misgivings over it.

The cat's already out of the bag. I don't think Blizzard can just go, "Hey, let's forget this ever happened."

You are probably right. They mentioned it; 11+ pages of QQ. If they say, we hear you, so we are going to scrap it, they'll probably get 11+ more threads of QQ's. People are strange that way. Nothing would be taken away from them, but the moment some future possible thing is mentioned, people act like they have a right to it already.

But, sure then say it goes through free (meaning they would have to raise our sub prices or something to pay for it or reduce some other proposed change or new content in order to pay for it): Ok, so then you can group in 5 man dungeons cross server if you all have each others RealID's. That's all Blizz stated it would be for. I would be very interested to see how many would actually use it. I wouldn't. I think only a minority of the WoW population would be using it. Of course, again, I play on a server with my friends and we are all in a group of 3+guilds together. We run dungeons together; if not enough are on, we pug it. I never have a problem with needing to group cross server for a 5-man dungeon run. That's just me. But, hey, I'm a team oriented person. If they need to increase sub price to allow a few people to do this. I would be all for that even though I wouldn't be using it. Of course, I would be just as happy if they scrapped it.

It's funny that now what I'm hearing is "We demand to have this and we demand that it be free." I ask in return: "How many of you would actually USE it since it's just for a 5-man dungeon run in which you can already group cross realms (albeit you cannot ensure you get in with friends that are cross server)?"

My main point is this: Let's try not to let emotion cloud our judgment. Before we start demanding an increase in subscription price to pay for this, please think about it rationally. If a majority will use it often, then it would be worth a subscription increase; however, if only a minority will be using it and only rarely, I don't think it's worth a subscription increase. So, why not scrap it?

P.S. I do get, understand, agree with the sentiment against premium services, though.
Edited by Magdasearus on 5/20/2011 7:12 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Hunter
TotalBiscuits take on this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_qA40bVmCI&t=13m23s

User mail question #1. Starts at 13:23.

I don't agree with him on some of his points but he backed up his viewpoint with some good reasoning, as he usually does.
1 Undead Rogue
Is the realID paid cross realm "option" releasing content also?

I thought it would work as is, since the people i have on my realID know how to play very well. Sadly i server hop a lot so most people i talk to are through realID, the really nice people that i actually like, and wanted to be friends with.

By what i understand of this optional service is you have the chance of creating/forming groups with players you know, understand how to play the game. It does get kind of irritating to jump in a group via LFD, and it be like 1 boss left, and they are having problems with some boss. Then you see why people leave the group. Because people have a poor gaming style, yet persist in showing up, because they think they are making a huge difference.

I would rather pay to play with competent people, than get a random group of people that have no clue what they are doing. I am a pretty decent player, and am never bored enough to queue with guildies and carry scrubs that are very terrible at this game.

Try and remember that its an optional service, you don't have to go with it. Its a service, not the release of content, or gear purchasable via the website. Stop slippery sloping the issue. You guys are coming up with asinine ideas of them making other things available via these types of premium services.

Its just a perk to RealID and grouping with the friends on your realID. Not everyone is like you and has all their in game friends on one realm. Some people have friends scattered all over the servers.

I WOULD RATHER PAY TO GROUP WITH PEOPLE ON MY REALID THAN HAVE TO GROUP WITH SOME OF THE PEOPLE AVAILABLE ON LFD.

There is no perks, or nothing over the top that is going to game change due to this, but at least you have the optional assurance of grouping with people you can be on VoIP with, and that know what they are doing.
Edited by Lalyg on 5/20/2011 6:59 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]