Vote kicked from group gives deserter buff?

90 Undead Mage
I was just vote kicked from a group in BWD because I asked why we were going a certain way instead of taking the mole machine. We were in the dungeon for about 2 minutes.

I tried to re-queue and it now says I have a 30 minute deserter buff. I was not aware that you got the deserter buff after being vote kicked from a dungeon. I did absolutely nothing wrong, I asked one simple question and was removed from the group. Why am I being punished for no reason?

So just to get things straight. I waited a little over 10 minutes to get into a random dungeon (level 54 by the way, so no guildies to run with at this level). And since I asked a simple question before the '10 minute time limit' I now have to wait another 30 minutes before I can even re-queue and another 10-15 minutes waiting in the queue. How is this reasonable and acceptable?
Edited by Rdj on 5/20/2011 10:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
65 Goblin Death Knight
i just queued for a random 48

assume I was kicked?

often teamed with groups of guildies, so who knows why?

why do I get deserter buff?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Tank joins random
It's the dungeon he doesn't want
"vote kick me"

This was ridiculously common (you'd see it 30%+ of the time)

Votekicking to avoid deserter was abused, and they found votekicked players being hit with the debuff was better for the game than que hopping.

Also, this is a necro'd thread from 11 months ago, but it also isn't fully against the rules if the topic is still relevant (as I understand) and things haven't changed since the OP's post.

Only 2 ways to leave a group are to be votekicked or to manually leave party, so if you didn't leave party, you were removed via the votekick function.
Edited by Asane on 4/21/2012 4:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
65 Goblin Death Knight
so the big issue now is 20+ minute queues for dps

guildies ganging up on others

and super short q'ing for tank/heals
Reply Quote
86 Orc Shaman
04/21/2012 04:45 AMPosted by Lùcy
so the big issue now is 20+ minute queues for dps
Blizzard can't force people to roll/play tanks and healers which would probably be the only realistic solution.

guildies ganging up on others

Do you have a specific fix or suggestion to address this issue or the queue time for dps?

and super short q'ing for tank/heals
Since fewer people play these roles, how exactly is this an issue?
Edited by Masochist on 4/21/2012 5:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
65 Goblin Death Knight
giving the deserter buff when being kicked was a new experience after years of playing :)

replacing a dps in a run takes seconds so kicking them is no issue, hence my comment about the disparity in wait times being a related issue

maybe not let groups que for randoms

maybe reduce 10 minutes as the cut off
Reply Quote
65 Goblin Death Knight
if only singles can random q

then for a deserter buff make it a only applicable on a unanimous vote
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
04/21/2012 03:37 PMPosted by Lùcy
if only singles can random q

This is an MMO

cutting people off from playing with friends is bad.

I'm pretty sure I'd quit, I already hate that I can't bring a friend with satchel runs, this is literally not even an option Blizzard would entertain.
Edited by Asane on 4/21/2012 4:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
That is wrong, but i think the deserter debuff is totally wrong in general. We shouldnt have to stick to a group we arent happy with or that isnt very good without not being able to play again for 30 minutes if we leave. It makes me mad because we pay money for this game but alot of what they have in effect at the monet is not fair at all. Im sorry that happened to you... i saw someone get vote kicked on the nexus just a few minutes ago because they accidently fell off the ledge at that one part where we ALL have accidently jumped off at the wrong part after anomolus (spelling?). I thought it was a joke and pushed decline... that kick reason was "fell of ledge" but the group put it through. thats bullcrap i think too. Lots of flaws in this game. I was hoping RIFT woulda been better... ive been looking for a way out of WoW that keeps my attention like WoW does.
Anyways, i wish they would all together remove the deserter buff. The game was fine without it!
Reply Quote
65 Goblin Death Knight
i just did 4 in a row that were breaking up , lost , afk, 30 minutes lost each
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
04/23/2012 01:42 AMPosted by Cuteshoes
That is wrong, but i think the deserter debuff is totally wrong in general. We shouldnt have to stick to a group we arent happy with or that isnt very good without not being able to play again for 30 minutes if we leave. It

Yes you should, I know you don't want to but your dropping on the slightest pretext is not good for anybody else. If you really want to drop? Then a 30 minute penalty is not an issue. Note it only takes 15 mins in the instance to avoid it. If your not their 15 mins then you haven't really tried.

04/23/2012 01:54 AMPosted by Lùcy
i just did 4 in a row that were breaking up , lost , afk, 30 minutes lost each

Just re queue inside the instance.

15-to umm 53 over the last month. I have completed every instance, I have seen zero vote kicks and the groups have never broken up /shrug Thats with perhaps 15-16 instance runs.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
That is wrong, but i think the deserter debuff is totally wrong in general. We shouldnt have to stick to a group we arent happy with or that isnt very good without not being able to play again for 30 minutes if we leave. It makes me mad because we pay money for this game but alot of what they have in effect at the monet is not fair at all. Im sorry that happened to you... i saw someone get vote kicked on the nexus just a few minutes ago because they accidently fell off the ledge at that one part where we ALL have accidently jumped off at the wrong part after anomolus (spelling?). I thought it was a joke and pushed decline... that kick reason was "fell of ledge" but the group put it through. thats bullcrap i think too. Lots of flaws in this game. I was hoping RIFT woulda been better... ive been looking for a way out of WoW that keeps my attention like WoW does.
Anyways, i wish they would all together remove the deserter buff. The game was fine without it!

No deserter debuff means tanks will random que until they get what they want.
This was and would still be a huge problem and only hurt dps more.

you mention Rift, I was playing around with it for the last couple months, Rift's random groups are 50x worse than WoWs, because they've made it EVEN more gear driven to the point gear trumps skill in Rift (Macros ruin that game). There were less restrictions and with the gear driven system, you saw people voting off people constantly until they had someone in ROTP or HK gear, since the difference between a good 5 man player and HK was 750 DPS to 5000 DPS (Single target) meaning you spent less time in the dungeon from voting off 5-6 people geared correctly and getting a behemoth (It's seriously like if TBC came out, and people still did Stratholme for badges, the gear is a bigger jump than 60 - 70 was). Rift has basically destroyed their game by making it literally an anti-wow player game that copies WoW to an obsessive point, but tries to "counter" forum post issues which blows up in their face.

Long ancedotal stories aside, deserter serves a purpose, and I believe every random grouping system uses something similarly, since it's an abuse limiter.

Leaving groups early (Or being constantly kicked) is a sure sign that you're not playing an MMO like it's a team sport, and you're busy playing a single player game.

You need to analyze what's happening when your groups break up or are kicking you. I've used the random grouping system 1000's of times, with only 1 time being vote kicked to my name (Because another hunter left pack on, so they opted to vote kick both hunters), I've leveled a half dozen toons from start to 85 using the tool across every "generation" since it's inception and these magical groups that randomly kick perfect players every run never seem to coincidentally pop up for me.

Are your groups breaking up after a wipe? as a 65 blood DK with herilooms, you can nearly solo the dungeons you're queing for, it's a fun little quirk with how Vengeance and Cata builds work out with an overgeared blood DK while leveling (I just leveled one to the 70's recently).

Personally, in my groups, there's no way to initiate a vote kick, because the "out of combat" timer for votekick doesn't pop up, unless I intentionally stop in order to utilize this (Remember, healer mana is infinite til around 80, thanks to the 200% spirit buff and cata talents being ridiculous)
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
You people know you're replying to a post from about a year ago, right?

Your replies are unlikely to be useful to the original poster.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
04/21/2012 04:39 PMPosted by Asane
I'm pretty sure I'd quit, I already hate that I can't bring a friend with satchel runs

That would completely ruin the idea behind the satchel, so yeah.
Reply Quote
86 Orc Shaman
04/23/2012 04:36 PMPosted by Kathucka
You people know you're replying to a post from about a year ago, right?
That's probably why post 2 was reported.

04/23/2012 04:36 PMPosted by Kathucka
Your replies are unlikely to be useful to the original poster.
Pretty sure they are being aimed at Lucy and not the OP at this point.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]