Selling Items In-Game

10 Dwarf Hunter
I apologize for the vagueness of the title - but I wanted to pose a question regarding the purchasing and selling thereof, of items such as vanity pets, TGC items, and game time cards in-game.

DISCLAIMER: I am not interested, nor have I ever sold items in-game that were not readily available, in-game. I am merely inquiring as to the "legality" so-to-speak, of such actions.

To be more specific, I see players, daily, offering items purchased from the Blizzard Store (such as mounts, or companion pets) and even 60-Day game time cards for a lump sum of gold, often times 10k or more.

Is this permissible? I'm well aware that selling (or buying) gold, is strictly forbidden and results in a permanent banning - but what about the aforementioned items? I know for a fact that there are players who DO buy these items when they're advertised in Trade chat. The only thing that strikes me as a bit odd, is that if this ISN'T permitted, why are players simply given a generated code (from the Blizzard store), that they can freely distribute?

Thanks for reading!
Edited by Krayz on 5/25/2011 4:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Items purchased with hard currency cannot be sold in game.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Real Money -> Game Time Card/Blizzard Store Item -> Gold

Real Money -> Gold

Same effect. Real money was used to buy gold.

TCG loot cards, however, are in-game items that you can trade and sell on the AH (most of them). Selling them or the code you redeem IN-GAME for gold is fine.

Anything that is bought directly with real money and redeemed in account management is not okay to sell/buy with gold.

Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
More or less, if you can't put it on the AH in-game, you can't sell it for in-game currency.
Reply Quote
10 Dwarf Hunter
Ah, that what I figured. But there are literally dozens of players on my server (not related to this toon's server or guild) that sell pets and time cards, daily.

I can see the correlation between buying/selling gold vs selling pets/cards/etc for gold - but it concerns me that when players purchase items from the Blizzard store, they are given a randomly generated code to use, and that to me, is providing an outlet for players to sell these items in-game. They're not tied to your account (which common sense says they should be).

That being said, thats why I had to ask - just to be sure I wasn't missing something. So in short, its illegal, players do it anyway and get away with it, and Blizzard hasn't done much of anything to prevent it. I've never personally reported anyone, but my guildmaster (on another realm, different guild) recently booted a player from the guild for doing this exact thing, and it caused a ton of drama. Dozens of players bailed out, claiming it was BS, while others ruined the ex-guildmate's reputation in Trade chat.

All in all, its stupid.

Thanks for the tips - (no sarcasm intended).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
05/25/2011 04:32 AMPosted by Krayz
I've never personally reported anyone

05/25/2011 04:32 AMPosted by Krayz
Blizzard hasn't done much of anything to prevent it.

Would be easier for them to do something if you would report it when you see it.
Reply Quote
10 Dwarf Hunter
05/25/2011 04:37 AMPosted by Ismismism
Would be easier for them to do something if you would report it when you see it.

With 11 million players, and just dozens of "code sellers" on my server alone - I'm certain its suffice to say that there are players who do report it.

Just because I haven't, doesn't make me solely responsible for the other 11 million players who have or have not reported offenders. A simple option, would be to tie those claim codes to the purchaser's account. Even if the purchaser has multiple accounts, require them to sign into the account they're purchasing it for - simple enough.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Solutions often seem simple until you get into the logistics of trying to apply said solution.

I'm certain its suffice to say that there are players who do report it.

There are. Players like myself and many others. But you shouldn't assume others will report it. Take the 2 seconds to right click and report the person. If everyone did that, the problem would sort itself out real quick.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
OP,

Vanity items and item cards purchased in the blizzard store do not generate an in-game code, they are redeemed outside of game.

People are actually giving away part of their account information for in-game gold to have them gifted to their account. They need to log-in to their account outside of game to redeem them already.

Freely giving away part of your account info for 10K gold I find just down-right crazy.

While you(meaning all of us) should not be held responsible for reporting all offenders we(all of us again) appreciate it when you do.

It is sad when you see someone posting on the support forums asking BLizz where their vanity pet/RAF mount has gone, and them finding out the hard way they have been scammed out of both gold and potentially part of their account info shared freely to a hacking site.

For Trading card items, there are two steps to this:
1) card code redeemed outside of game on a website.
2) server specific code generated from step 1 that can be sold in game but this transition is not supported by Blizzard for scam protection.

Hopefully, enough of us will share this information with our fellow game players to reduce the number of scams occurring.

EDIT:

OP,

This information about buying selling out of game items for in-game gold is covered in the ToU. Blizzard can't force people to read it, and since you can't play the game without acknowledging that you read it, what more can Blizzard do?

How much more warning can be given, add it to the in-game hints/advice that everyone turns off the 2nd or 3rd time they start playing the game?
Edited by Frostbringer on 5/25/2011 5:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10 Dwarf Hunter
With current queue times and the redundancy of seeing reported players back in Trade chat committing the same offenses within a day or two, it just doesn't make a report seem worth investing time or energy into, when I can simply ignore them.

Granted, having longer queue times doesn't necessarily mean my report matters any less - it just means it loads up MY queue, and should I need help regarding something else, I'd have to wait to submit a new ticket, or cancel my current report - thus, pointless.

The fact still remains, its not OUR obligation as players, to handle disciplinary action. Not to say we shouldn't file reports, but when Blizzard themselves doesn't even take preventative measures, whats the point?

I really don't want to turn this into a debate - fact is, the codes aren't BoA, therefore the root of the problem lies with Blizzard's inept marketing. That is in no way intended to be an insult, but merely an observation. I only wanted to inquire (more-so convince myself), if players committing these actions are breaking any "rules". Thanks for the information.

---

Brief Edit, in response to the above post:

I'm aware of how the codes work. Point is, I've seen constructive (normally highly regarded) members of the community selling these items, and they're considered "trustworthy", and to my knowledge, are not scamming anyone.

Its no different than the game time cards - they give you the gold, you whisper them the code in-game.
Edited by Krayz on 5/25/2011 5:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
05/25/2011 05:01 AMPosted by Krayz
I'm aware of how the codes work. Point is, I've seen constructive (normally highly regarded) members of the community selling these items, and they're considered "trustworthy", and to my knowledge, are not scamming anyone.

Have you stopped to consider that the account may have been compromised and the person who's doing the scam (yes, it is a scam) is not the actual owner of the account?

Reply Quote
10 Dwarf Hunter
Did you stop to consider reading any of my previous posts? I clearly stated that even a former guildmember (whom was never a "trouble maker", was always donating to the guild bank, helping other players, and a very active community member), committed the very same "offense" - was booted from the guild, and had his reputation trashed. He was reported, by several narcissistic, CoC-Gestapo members of the guild - and this all happened nearly a week ago. I find it hard to believe the reports haven't been investigated by now.

I'm 100% certain it was him, as I spoke with him in Vent the very same day it occurred. So no, I don't stop to "consider" hacking, as picking out a hacker isn't very difficult at all. Hackers don't log in with key codes for vanity pets - they sell your in-game items, converting MOST of it to gold. I've been hacked before, I would know.

I agree that his actions were wrong, but it appears he was unaware that it wasn't permissible. I'm not sure whether I should be relieved he wasn't banned, or to be angry that this "rule" isn't enforced nearly as much as purchasing/selling gold is.
Edited by Krayz on 5/25/2011 5:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
If he's a legitimate player, our first step is normally education.

The VAST majority of those are NOT legitimate players. They are gold-sellers trying to commit a scam. Oh, the player usually does get their item/pet/mount/time - at first.

Till the owner of the credit card comes forward to dispute the charge and then they are out their ingame gold AND what they thought they purchased.

As far as being back the next day, lots of these guys use similar names on various accounts as they put them into service. It may very well be the same cretin at the wheel, but likely a very different account.
Reply Quote
10 Dwarf Hunter
Thanks for some clarification Orlyia - I wasn't expecting a Blue post!

Like I said above, the guildmate was never the kind of person you'd expect to break a rule, thus why I was a bit confused that everyone made a big deal over it. I'm not familiar with the TGC, but I see people buying/selling items related to it in-game, all the time.

I've always known buying/selling gold was a "no-no", but vanity pets and mounts just seemed trivial.

Then watching the open-handed dissection of the aforementioned member, was pretty much heartbreaking. I never knew him in RL, but he has helped me throughout the last few years I've known him. So, I'm sure you can see, I was a bit torn between labeling him as a "baddie", vs just ignoring it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]