Frost DK vs. Blood DK

85 Draenei Death Knight
So I have an 85 rogue that I like doing Battlegrounds with but I've been playing my DK quite a bit recently and I've come up with a few questions for any seasoned DK player. Now I haven't done any pvp with my DK yet but I have done a few dungeons. I've been trying to focus on quests just to get him lvled.

I've now tried all 3 specs for DK and my favorite by far is blood, although originally I wasn't interested in blood spec at all then as I played it I've seen that my survivability is MUCH greater as blood than the other 2 specs.

Now as blood I've been focusing much more on stamina than strength for higher health, do you think that's smart, should I go with strength in stead or is it more of just a personal preference? Also do I look like my talent tree's are going in the right direction?

Also I have noticed that frost seams to be more popular in pvp than blood (on the pvp charts at least). Now I'd think that blood would be better in pvp because of the tanking / self healing than frost, or is there a difference in battlegrounds and arena when it comes to which spec would be better (besides factoring in your partners, and preferences)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
So I have an 85 rogue that I like doing Battlegrounds with but I've been playing my DK quite a bit recently and I've come up with a few questions for any seasoned DK player. Now I haven't done any pvp with my DK yet but I have done a few dungeons. I've been trying to focus on quests just to get him lvled.

I've now tried all 3 specs for DK and my favorite by far is blood, although originally I wasn't interested in blood spec at all then as I played it I've seen that my survivability is MUCH greater as blood than the other 2 specs.

Now as blood I've been focusing much more on stamina than strength for higher health, do you think that's smart, should I go with strength in stead or is it more of just a personal preference? Also do I look like my talent tree's are going in the right direction?

Also I have noticed that frost seams to be more popular in pvp than blood (on the pvp charts at least). Now I'd think that blood would be better in pvp because of the tanking / self healing than frost, or is there a difference in battlegrounds and arena when it comes to which spec would be better (besides factoring in your partners, and preferences)

A good blood player>all players the intenseness of how you can stack your bloodshield v any other class is awesome. I was in a 20 minute match with a rogue. I won ofc since I could immediately break stun
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
The main problem with Blood is you don't do a whole lot of damage unless you're taking damage. Most people(good ones anyways) will just ignore any tank specced classes unless they're either the last enemy alive or they have the flag. IMO, get your dual spec, go blood for CTF/EoTS/IoC/AV and Frost for the rest. Survivability drops a bit in frost, but the damage makes up for it.
Reply Quote
I'd have to slightly disagree with Scraman in regards to the damage a blood DK can pump out, not as good as frost, but not as abysmal as the other tank specs.

Depends on what you want to do OP. For someone who plays BGs for the objectives solely, blood is your best bet. My blood DK has managed to hold off 3-4 people at BS in an Arathi Basin game for a solid 30 seconds until my teammates arrived due to defensive cooldowns and death strike spam. Flag carrier in WSG...nuff said really. Of the 4 tank specs, blood DKs are above and beyond the rest in regards to pvp survivability.

My suggestion though, don't focus on avoidance stats or stamina because those are not what makes a blood DK thrive. It's deathstrike and blood shield mixed in with the other neat toys (AMS, IBF, Vamp blood). I would spec as you would for any other offensive character because glyphed heart strike was critting for a good 20-26k on my DK before I took a lil break 2 months ago. You won't be frost damage, but the enemy will notice you.

The only problem with blood is that it is easily kited, so don't spec blood if you're into only killing things. Spec blood if you want decent damage with the best (yes, best) survivability in the game...you'll be a beast defender, monsterous flag carrier, and a overall pain in the neck.

Hope that bit of info helps.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
`
Edited by Betka on 6/14/2012 7:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Interesting, that actually brings up another question I had, since I've never done pvp with my DK what would be the best skill to use against a stun from a rogue? Since I have a rogue I know they can be a royal pain if you don't know how to go battle against them.

So are you guy's saying it's more of a preference with blood vs frost or is one really better than the other when it comes to pvp in your opinion / experience? And when I say survivability I am not just talking about not dying I'm talking about the spec that has the best chances to win against most other classes.
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
Frost is far better than blood at 85 for just about anything other than fcing.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Also in regards to the blood tree, would you guys suggest sticking with blood only or are there a few other things you would put a few points in with frost or unholy, I'm thinking of sticking strictly with blood
Reply Quote
Icebound fortitude breaks and makes you immune to stuns for a period of time. (8 or 12 secs...cant remember). AMS can make you immune to whatever poisons the rogue is attempting to put up.

A blood dk is the bane of most rogues...they hate fighting blood...but a frost dk is the one that will kill most other classes at 85, just by facerolling and effective use of death strike when necessary.
Reply Quote
If you go with blood for pvp...you are likely still going to want to go enough into the frost tree to get lichborne for self healing with death coil. 2 points in unholy command are good to have as well from the unholy tree.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Do you think the Glyph of Dark Succor makes up in defense and healing rather than using blood presence? Cause i would think that out of the three blood presence look's to be the most helpful
Edited by Zyrxeez on 5/25/2011 8:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Personally coming from a frost Dk, I see it as either what type of playstyle you have but most importantly how well you can play the spec you choose. From 60 to 74 I've dominated BG's as playing frost spec mainly in my opinion because i figured out how to use my spec really well. I do tons of damage to other classes, always on the top of 3 of the scoreboard for most kills/honor points while in the meantime holding a great Kill death ratio due to Lichborne/deathcoil healing, sacrifising my ghoul for health, and proper use of death strike(with the help of Glyph of Dark Succor). If you learn how to play the spec comfortably you'll be a amazing Dk. Nothing against blood spec, i love it and all but 9/10 tiems when it comes down to a 1v1 between me and a blood spec Dk I always end up winning. Personally though I would pick Frost spec. You get very good damage output and still have great survivability.
Hope this helps some.
Edited by Vynellan on 5/25/2011 8:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
The main problem with Blood is you don't do a whole lot of damage unless you're taking damage.

assumign that the person you are attackign isnt gonna sit there taking it, this should not be an issue

So are you guy's saying it's more of a preference with blood vs frost or is one really better than the other when it comes to pvp in your opinion / experience? And when I say survivability I am not just talking about not dying I'm talking about the spec that has the best chances to win against most other classes.

Blood takes the rng out of low level pvp, at low levels you will always be fighting other twinks, some even with better gear than you.Playing blood gives you some added defensive benefits ..while still giving you the chance to do amazign dmage(currently at least below lvl 80 blood does an aweful lot of damage).

so blood is just the best bang for your buck, frost may give you slightly more dmage but your pretty much a free kill to whichever twink starts on you first.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Blood is alright to play when you're undergeared, lets you live a bit longer. Frost is pretty awesome though. btw, might want to change that spec a little so you get Lichborne and a 1 minute Strangulate;
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jMh0bZGcorfuRd0ub:amM0bV0Mm
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
frost may give you slightly more dmage but your pretty much a free kill to whichever twink starts on you first.

I agree with you on this because before I hit 70 I got facerolled by most if not all twinks that jumped to attack me but once I hit 70 and got my pvp set twinks arn't close to being a issue anymore, the only twinks i have a serious issue killing is protection pallys.
Reply Quote
A rogue that knows what he's doing can lock down a blood DKs damage too by erasing Vengeance with shiv spam. I always do.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
05/25/2011 09:23 AMPosted by Vynellan
frost may give you slightly more dmage but your pretty much a free kill to whichever twink starts on you first.

I agree with you on this because before I hit 70 I got facerolled by most if not all twinks that jumped to attack me but once I hit 70 and got my pvp set twinks arn't close to being a issue anymore, the only twinks i have a serious issue killing is protection pallys.

OMG don't get me started on prot pallies, their monsters, even those one level below me can almost 3 shot my blood dk, their freakin rediculous at low levels.
I'm always scrolling through my combat log when i go against one just so i can lol at how hard they hit.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
People keep on saying "self heal with death coil" it won't ever let me do that, is that a glyph I need, or something?

And as far as CCing goes I wouldn't think that blood is any easier to CC than frost

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]