Ask The Devs #8 - Firelands (Answers)

95 Draenei Death Knight
05/25/2011 10:29 AMPosted by Mypali
however, we also received plenty of feedback from the Cataclysm questing experience that we occasionally took control away from players too often, especially in Uldum, in order to tell the story, so we want to be very careful when we do that in the future

Damn right. I still can't wipe the shame of my cowardly character cowering before creatures that I can kill en-mass. Bastards. The solution is to not CONTROL the character, just show whats going on. Wrathgate was perfect there. We watched a battle. You didn't show us COWERING, we just sat back and watched.

By accepting the quest, we basically consent to be somewhat controlled, i.e., I'm helping someone do something. Unless it's following a specific plan that the character is in on (i.e., the quest is get yourself captured), CONTROLLING our characters for us is bloody stupid. Please don't ever do that again.

Honestly I loved seeing my toon as part of the story in the cut scenes in Uldum and Vash... I have no problems with seeing more of this done in future expansions.
Reply Quote
95 Draenei Death Knight
05/25/2011 10:11 AMPosted by Kaivax
So, we put all of our eggs into that one basket. We’ve decided for now that the Vashj’ir quest line along with the Throne of the Tides dungeon does a pretty good job of finishing the Neptulon story.

Firelands looks nice, but this is a heck of a gamble going with only one raid in tier 12. 1 raid and 1 lockout per week, has a pretty large potential to turn even the most amazing content into monotony by the time the next raid comes, especially after a strong tier 11 with lots of flavor and option for raiders.

Even someone's favorite PB&J can taste awful having for lunch every day if one doesn't switch it up a little. I'm hoping all the eggs in the one basket have a pretty strong shell.

P.S. Still hoping to see Abyssal Maw sometime before the next expansion. Lots of others are too.
Edited by Honalee on 6/12/2011 2:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Cmon Blizzard..
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I understand Firelands and fire festival both have Fire in there names but that doesn't mean a holiday and a patch should be on the same day. this happens way to much, so with them happening at the same time should i just wait a week after patch releases so i don't have to deal with epic server lag to where i can't even move things around in my bags or sell stuff to vender's or even worse will my game freeze up every time i go to loot something effectively stopping raids for a week is that what i should expect. I am starting to think the only reason theres lag during patches at all is cause every time it drops on the same days as a holiday of course 2 elements mixed in like that are going to screw things up. I don't know if that's the goal to kinda test it but testing belongs on PTR's not live servers.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Q: Do we have any plans to include events similar to the Wrath Gate? – Mushik (LA), 잔메르 (KR)

A: We have a short cinematic or two, but nothing on the scale of the Wrath Gate cinematic for 4.2. We enjoy that kind of epic spectacle and we’ll do it when it makes sense; however, we also received plenty of feedback from the Cataclysm questing experience that we occasionally took control away from players too often, especially in Uldum, in order to tell the story, so we want to be very careful when we do that in the future. That said, there are some very cinematic moments in 4.2 such as watching the druid trees on the Molten Front grow or seeing the bridge form to Sulfuron Keep.

I cant believe people complains about this... Do they really want a mindless experience? I'd rather have more interesting story telling than just keep reading quest logs and thinking how could would it be to see a nice real time video about the story...
Reply Quote
99 Blood Elf Priest
Neptulon seems to be a strong elemental lord and as we killed al'akir and are about to end ragnaros it would make sense to add more onto neptulon. . . .
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I'm just assuming, but it seems as though this storyline will be finished in a new raid, aka, a further tier of content.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
05/25/2011 10:25 AMPosted by Dëva
We’ve decided for now that the Vashj’ir quest line along with the Throne of the Tides dungeon does a pretty good job of finishing the Neptulon story.

Really? Vash'jir is one of the best experiences I had on Cata and I was really looking forward to the Abyssal Maw dungeon.

I'm VERY disappointed.

Me too.
:c
Reply Quote
After reading this list of failures (no Abyssal Maw? The hell?), and the fact that melee dps gets shafted in the firelands (as if you were offering us stickers and calling us "champ" when saying we would be doing next to nothing to bosses), just left the mage side of me going "Ah well, least parts of it wont bother me" and the rogue/death knight sides of me going "OH COME ON?! SERIOUSLY?!". Good job Blizzard, maybe you can also end this expansion without anyone confronting Deathwing.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
As a casual player, I can guarantee you that I would spend AT LEAST three times the amount of time in Abyssal Maw in this expansion than I ever will spend in the new raid
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Why isn't there any firelands spirit cloth gear from bosses? Do you really want Holy priests to be worthless, or is "just reforge everything her der" what is expected of them?

Or, as an alternative, do you just want them to valor grind, and then say "dude, that raid does nothing for me. I have to valor grind. And this 'valor-is-next-to-impossible-to-come-by' thing is really pissing me off. WoWRageQuit"
Edited by Senshi on 7/2/2011 6:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
I"m posting in reply to "Ask the Dev's #10", because the other one filled up.

You guys were discussing "holy crap! Warriors do a lot of aggro".

The only solutions I've seen for this throughout the past patches was "nerf warrior dps".

Can I remind everyone that Warriors are melee (thus they suck in non-BG pvp, makes our dps plummet on "tank needs to kite the boss" fights, and gives them survivability issues); that they have no marketable CC (I don't think anyone has ever asked me to fear-shout the whole group before); that we have no efficient kiting ability (except run away after hitting something); amongst countless other issues.

Currently in my guild, my tanks get pissed off at me because I'm not the highest dps (I'm up there, though -- 2nd ...behind a hunter...); I have no CC-abilities; and when I actually jump in to the fights -- after waiting for 30 seconds or so -- my aggro goes from 0% to 100% with hardly any effort (no, our guild's tanks don't suck, and no I don't have to use CDs).

Let us have massive PvE dps, or give us some CC/Ranged abilities (which DOES sound insane, I'll be the first to admit it).

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Isn't it awesome to know that our 5m is being shelved so that raiders can have more bosses in firelands.

So casuals are supposed to be happy with leftover content and ZA and ZG? Keep it up blizzard, you are doing great.

Blizz said this best the majority of the game is focused on endgame content and a majority plays endgame content so it only makes so much more sense to focus on endgame content.I'll admit another 5 man woulda been nice but until pugs can learn to do a simple za/zg run then i hope they dont introduce a new dungeon...
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
i'm wondering 1 thing What happened to the battelmadian? she was the 1 that got the naga armies to where they were when they took over neptulon's realm and yet she isnt even mentioned beyond the quest chain. Did i miss something?
Reply Quote
05/25/2011 11:15 AMPosted by Fehnris
Eh we already pretty much knew N'Zoth wasn't going to be in this expansion considering Azshara follows him and she is also not going to be fought in this expansion. Now the NEXT expansion will deal with him and very very likely have her as the main antagonist (unlike N'Zoth it's been specifically said we won't fight her in Cataclysm).

Unless we fight him in 4.4 since he is the one that messed up Deathwing and the Naga. Who knows? Maybe beating him up clears up the Naga's mind and they join one of the playable factions. Like the Forsaken are to the Scourge and the Draenei to the Eredar. Not perfect examples but you probably know where I'm getting at.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]