Ask The Devs #8 - Firelands (Answers)

85 Dwarf Shaman
You guys avoided all questions about engineering helms (aka goggles). >_<

05/25/2011 10:11 AMPosted by Kaivax
We’ve decided for now that the Vashj’ir quest line along with the Throne of the Tides dungeon does a pretty good job of finishing the Neptulon story.

Seriously? ...finishing? ...so that portal near Throne of the Tides entrance is gonna be left alone ...poor instance portal. Q_Q
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
You guys avoided all questions about engineering helms (aka goggles). >_<

We’ve decided for now that the Vashj’ir quest line along with the Throne of the Tides dungeon does a pretty good job of finishing the Neptulon story.

Seriously? ...finishing? ...so that portal near Throne of the Tides entrance is gonna be left alone ...poor instance portal. Q_Q
It will go the way of the old Hyjal portal in Wintergrasp from pre-cataclysm. A curious world environment piece... but totally useless.
Edited by Fanahlia on 5/25/2011 11:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Q: When Tier 11 content was first launched, the majority of fights in 25-person were explicitly easier than the 10-person version, such as Nefarian and almost every Heroic encounter. Do you have plans to make content for 25 players more appealing in patch 4.2? – Wynter (EU-DE), Nisana (EU-FR), Espiritu (NA)

I think you guys misread my question, unless Wynter and Nisana had asked this, I was asking if there were plans to better balance the 10 man to make it and 25 mans the same difficulty.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Q: A majority of the fights in T11 favored having little or no Melee DPS. Are there plans to fix this? – Merissa (NA), Espiritu (NA)

A: We view this more of a class problem than an encounter problem. It used to be the case that casters really suffered whenever they had to move, which was the penalty they paid in order to make up for the fact that melee took a lot of extra damage. Nowadays, melee classes don’t really take that much extra damage, and we’ve also given casters a number of movement-oriented tools designed to keep their DPS from dropping as much as it used to when they are asked to shoot-and-scoot.

Whenever there are situations in an encounter that encourage grouping, the ranged often move into melee (with the occasional exception for hunters), but melee never move to ranged. Any of the fights that punish clumping also tend to punish melee more. We recognize all of these problems, as do many players, but it’s challenging to address them quickly. For example, without compensation, casters would suffer a lot in PvP if their movement tools were suddenly stripped away.

In the meantime, we don’t want to over-constrain encounter design, or worse, make it feel very formulaic by getting to the point where players expect the “melee fight” to be followed by the “adds fight,” followed by the “Patchwerk fight,” then the “ranged fight.” We’re making sure that melee have some fights where they can shine in Firelands. To use just one example, the Sons of Flame on Ragnaros tend to be better handled by melee than ranged.

So, basically... you know its a problem and things will continue to favor ranged classes, but its ok because the adds in the final encounter of the upcoming raid are melee "friendly"? Thats a pretty big slap at all the melee players out there, especially when getting to the end is the goal, and we will be sitting if there is a similar geared/skilled ranged player available. What happened to Bring the player not the class?
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Isn't it awesome to know that our 5m is being shelved so that raiders can have more bosses in firelands.

So casuals are supposed to be happy with leftover content and ZA and ZG? Keep it up blizzard, you are doing great.
Reply Quote
All this whining about everything, you guys realize that with 8.5 MILLION customers it is literally impossible for them to please everyone right?
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
05/25/2011 11:40 AMPosted by Florena
If nothing else just put it in a third tier of heroics for 4.3 or 4.4 or something, many of use will be sorely disapointed to miss out on this five man. So what if it doesn't match up to a raid tier like firelands? The story is still relevant and should be finished.

They will probably have AQ20 that was I think removed be brought back as 5m heroic in 4.3.

Since the datamined files show silithus update in 4.3 so I am betting thats their plan.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Baaahahahahaha! Wow, really? You guys really believe this? Do you want another minute to fish up some other excuse which does not insult the community's intelligence?

Our initial plan for this raid tier was to have fewer bosses in Firelands and a small number of bosses in the Abyssal Maw.

So there was a point when there would be less than seven bosses in our next tier of Raiding?

Wow. I don't even know what to say about that.

So, we put all of our eggs into that one basket.

Translation: We've been struggling to release out next tier in a timely fashion so we've scrapped everything else. But hey, we now have up to seven bosses!

We view this more of a class problem than an encounter problem. It used to be the case that casters really suffered whenever they had to move, which was the penalty they paid in order to make up for the fact that melee took a lot of extra damage.

Nice way to dance around the issue. While range may have been required to move more, this was less of an issue when brought to the attention of healers and mostly affected their dps peen. Melee, on the other hand, always have much more potential to wipe the raid due to that extra damage and strain on the healers in this expansion.

If a class problem is affecting the encounter and continues through two tiers of content, then guess what? It's not a class problem but a problem with the encounters you guys are designing.

After doing some raiding as a melee class and a range class, I think it's safe to say that the only reason people bring melee to raids are to handle interrupts while the casters have one less thing to do.

We’re making sure that melee have some fights where they can shine in Firelands. To use just one example, the Sons of Flame on Ragnaros tend to be better handled by melee than ranged.

Melee are now garbage men since they shine at taking out the trash.
Edited by Barada on 5/25/2011 11:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Mage

Really?

Really?

The story hasn't been finished at all, we still don't know what's happened to Neptulon or the remaining Naga forces.

He was just swept away at the end of the dungeon.

I know a lot of people were looking forward to the Abyssal Maw content due to the things we had heard about it, like us being in a underwater environment like Vash.

What, you couldn't do Firelands and the Maw? Should have stuck with your original plan of doing both, Firelands may have been smaller but we would have gotten more lore and story progression.

This just sounds like another excuse for rushed content and cut corners.

I hope that the Maw is still planned for a future content patch, but at this point since the launch of Cata I just don't expect much anymore.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
As people have said before me, Neptulon didn't exactly get his story wrapped up. Dude got sucked up by a giant squid, hardly a satisfying conclusion.
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Druid
05/25/2011 11:41 AMPosted by Florena
I think blizz has answered a similar question before. All in all they just don't like the mechanic of needing certain resistances in certain encounters. I agree with this too, you shouldn't have to gear a resistance for a certain dungeon it's just annoying.

My actual question was why we still have fire restance as a stat if we aren't going to be able to gear for it. Also, the quoted question was mine as well. :-P
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
05/25/2011 11:40 AMPosted by Lorinall
Q: Will we see anything of a sympathetic view of why Fandral Staghelm changed allegiances before he meets his demise? – Lorinall (NA)

WTH why did they answer a stoopid question like this instead of my question about why we wouldn't be using fire resistance? Blizzard is so lame.

edit for irony
<=============== look here

I saw your question on there and I think I actually have an answer. How much Fire Resistance gear have you seen? :P

Edit: Fire resistance is still a stat for pvp purposes and PvE DR, but its not something we can gear or gem for, I couldn't imagine some fights without Fire Resistance + Aura Mastery :(
Edited by Espiritu on 5/25/2011 11:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
So the Abyssal Maw is officially canceled? That absolutely sucks! I was really looking forward to doing another underwater dungeon, since Vash'jir happens to be one of my favorite Cata zones. Why can't you at least add it for 4.3 along with another new dungeon? Does this mean you are only planning on adding raid content for future patches now?
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
05/25/2011 11:55 AMPosted by Swordblade
So the Abyssal Maw is officially canceled? That absolutely sucks! I was really looking forward to doing another underwater dungeon, since Vash'jir happens to be one of my favorite Cata zones. Why can't you at least add it for 4.3 along with another new dungeon? Does this mean you are only planning on adding raid content for future patches now?

Well seeing as raiders are their priority customers, you shouldn't be surprised.

This expansion they only care about raiders, rest of us get leftover content after their priority customers have done it and has it on farm. Forget about new 5m because catering to raiders is more important and vast majority of playerbase.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Even on top of what everyone has said about how the Neptulon story is not complete, why exactly is Blizzard abandoning Vashj'ir? We had a huge zone, one of the most unique settings in the entire game, and you're going to completely ignore all of that in favor of yet another fire-themed instance? I've been going into dull fire and lava themed instances in WoW ever since Ragefire Chasm, and I'm tired of them. And yet you choose to devote all of your resources to even more fire raids, while completely eschewing adding in an aquatic dungeon using the much more unique Vashj'ir setting that you've clearly taken a lot of time in creating?

Why would you do that?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]