The Wheel of Time.

90 Human Death Knight
I quit reading this series about four books in. I feel like I gave it a decent chance.

Unfortunately, the author spends the first 90% of the book barely advancing the story and spending chapters and hundreds of pages self-gratifying himself with describing a world instead of letting the reader experience the world through the telling of actual plot points.

The ends of the books so far have been a rush but I can't bring myself to suffer through another 700+ pages of exposition and fluff to get to some advancement of the plot.
Edited by Lucius on 4/20/2012 10:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
The Aes Sedai got on my nerves, really... a lot of thing got on my nerves reading that book. Gawaiin Tamdread that little prick killing his trainer. Then of course Egwene with her "I know what is best for you Rand Al thor" attitude and Casadune slapping of Ran for no reason. argh..the man is saving your !@# work with him not against him!
Reply Quote
I live about two hours from Charleston, and wish that I could find exactly where he is buried. Would love to leave something on his grave as a tribute for all the good memories he gave me.

He's interred in the cemetery at Saint James Church in Goose Creek, SC. Small burial ground behind a 300+ year old church building. Really, really beautiful place.
Edited by Prayskull on 4/23/2012 4:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I thought the series was really good for the first six books, maybe seven. Then the plot just got bogged down with characters and subplots and it seemed like it was treading water till he passed. Sanderson has done as good a job as any can do with another man's work. I can honestly say the only reason I kept reading was because I had already invested so much time with the series.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
04/23/2012 04:45 PMPosted by Prayskull
I live about two hours from Charleston, and wish that I could find exactly where he is buried. Would love to leave something on his grave as a tribute for all the good memories he gave me.

He's interred in the cemetery at Saint James Church in Goose Creek, SC. Small burial ground behind a 300+ year old church building. Really, really beautiful place.

You sir, are my hero.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Unfortunately I can't disagree with all the complaints about Jordan's writing style, or the bloat that later books suffered. Even with all of the obvious flaws, the series has been my absolute favorite for over half of my life now. I guess it's one of those things that if it *clicks* with you, then you can overlook the bumps and enjoy the ride for what it is.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I would have to say that I absolutely love this series. While the RJ seemed to go a little overboard on detail, the majority of it does in fact matter and sets the mind in a critical thinking state. I would have to say also that you can defiantly tell a difference between RJ and Brandon's writing styles, but that is something that would have to be endured imo to see the end of this series. I was keeping track with the progress of AMoL while Brandon was writing it and I would have to say that the rate at which he can pump out words is extremely impressive.

Also for any of you that don't know and are interested the release for "A Memory of Light" is scheduled for Jan 2013. Also, for anyone interested an excerpt from the prologue of AMoL was released yesterday on Tor. Link available below.

http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/04/a-memory-of-light-prologue-excerpt
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I'm also on book 9. First time through reading it (though I did restart and read books 1-5 a second time last year).

I'm enjoying it very much, though the last two books have slowed down quite a bit. I enjoy the depth of detail RJ puts in, but the "smoothing of the skirts" and "yanking of the braids" does get old, as does each gender thinking the other is full of idiots. I get it. Now enough already.

I've got the rest bought, just gotta get through 'em. THen I'll probably start reading Song of Ice and Fire or some such.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
A Memory of Light cover art unveiled.

www.tor.com/blogs/2012/05/michael-whelans-cover-for-a-memory-of-light-revealed

The pose is odd, and Callandor shouldn't have a curve or one edge, but I like it. Rand looks pretty good. As rude as it is to speak ill of the dead, it's better than Sweet's work.
Edited by Covi on 5/3/2012 8:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
24 Worgen Hunter
The cover looks good. I could not stand most of the other covers. I can not wait for AMOL. I remember when i read the first book I thought it was good but the way the characters spoke at times bugged me. The whole "thank the Light" and "burn me" and "wool head' thing. It has a very old fashioned or folksy feel to it. I also recognized a lot of borrowed concepts from other stories. I'm glad I was able to look past those annoyances though because I love this series. I have read them all, some of them 3 and 4 times. The strength of Jordan's writing is his characters and cultures as is Sanderson's. I think Brandon is a fantastic author. The Way of Kings is incredable and the ending of the Mistborn books blew me away.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
I for one believe that Sanderson did the books justice through his style alone. In comparison with his other books (Mistborn series), WoT did not see much original content from him, which I feel is the reason behind my liking.

Book 7 till Book 9 was fairly bad in terms of writing. Of course that is understandable due to Jordan's poor health. Personally my favorites are book 3 and 4. I enjoyed Fires of Heaven till the end of the Rhuidean scenes.

The whole Shai'do politics was a bit too irritating for me to digest. I never liked the asinine New White Tower politics either. However, that I have gotten used to for awhile.

Can't wait to read the last book of the series, and since according to Sanderson it was mostly written by Jordan with the former just patching things up, it is sure to be epic.

tl;dr - I like Sanderson's writing style especially in comparison to Jordan's sick days (book 6, 7, 8). However, I feel Jordan's content are definitely much stronger than Sanderson's.
Reply Quote
I really hope they turn the first three books into movies.

There is a lot of fat in the series, even Game of Thrones is suffering for me from to much fat.

Only recent author i've read that does not seem to inflate their story to sell more books is Dan Brown.

With that said, i'm still reading feast of crows, and plan on finishing Memory of Light on January 11th 2013.

Damn publishers really know how to get my money... ::((
Edited by Doza on 5/7/2012 5:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
05/07/2012 05:38 PMPosted by Doza
Only recent author i've read that does not seem to inflate their story to sell more books is Dan Brown.

He compensates by writing a whole new story every 2 months it seems like :P
Reply Quote
05/08/2012 12:02 PMPosted by Tweakx

He only has 5 published novels that i know of. If Wiki is right i've read all his novels.

I will say they all went down hill after Digital Fortress. I really loved that book.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Robert Jordan has crafted perhaps the biggest and most detailed world in the history of fantasy. Just the scope and size of it combined with the sheer number of characters kind of takes away from real character development in the series.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I love the series and I can not wait for the final book to come out. Every now and then I see toons named after characters from the books.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
05/08/2012 06:39 PMPosted by Doza

He only has 5 published novels that i know of. If Wiki is right i've read all his novels.

I will say they all went down hill after Digital Fortress. I really loved that book.

I may be thinking of someone else. I tend to lump the whole genre together, lol.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]