The Wheel of Time.

85 Dwarf Paladin
There should be a reference to the series in WoW. I mean there are references to Lord of the rings and Final Fantasy, so why not of WOT?
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
Ummmm the NARU hello! San Angreal?!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
02/18/2012 12:29 PMPosted by Kalayan
There should be a reference to the series in WoW. I mean there are references to Lord of the rings and Final Fantasy, so why not of WOT?

Sedai's Ring?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
The Wheel of Time created a rich world that one can easily fall in love with. Just the amount of the different cultures, races, nations, etc....is mind boggling and rich in detail. Throughout the series there are literally a ton of easter eggs that one can find.

The characters, not so much. There are too many, as if the size of the story itself is not even enough to contain all of the various plot twists and loose ends. The primary antagonists(the Dark One, Padan Fain, the remaining Forsaken) are kept to such a minimum that their threat does not feel to a reader that it is imminent nor dire. Rather than seeing what Demandred, Mazrim Taim, and Moridin are up to, we are treated to multiple chapters of Elayne taking a bath and Aviendha filling buckets with water by the drop.

Even with the 1000+ page a Memory of Light, it is absolutely going to be impossible to wrap up all the loose ends that were introduced in the story.
Reply Quote
A new quest in Kun-Lai summit has you using rocket launchers called Dragon Launchers. That is in Towers of Midnight.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I preordered A Memory of Light yesterday. January cannot get here fast enough.

The characters, not so much. There are too many, as if the size of the story itself is not even enough to contain all of the various plot twists and loose ends. The primary antagonists(the Dark One, Padan Fain, the remaining Forsaken) are kept to such a minimum that their threat does not feel to a reader that it is imminent nor dire.

Also, I have to respectfully disagree with this. There is an incredible amount of foreshadowing, and they are constant threats. The Dark One's entire case is that he is unable to directly touch the world, and as the series progresses, reality begins to, quite literally, fall apart as his prison weakens. Laws of nature stop applying, the dead walk, etc. Rather than feeling unthreatening, I have to argue that it creates one of the more darker buildups that I have read; even if he isn't directly present, the entire world feels his influence increasing, smothering it.

As for Moridin and Demandred, we do actually learn bits and pieces of what they are up to, but you are only given pieces of the puzzle from any one point of view. This fits particularly well with Demandred's nature of being cunning. Overall I was very satisfied with Jordan's character development, and I certainly didn't feel that there were too many. This has been one of the few series where I actually enjoyed reading every point-of-view.
Reply Quote
87 Human Monk
The wheel of time series....

is basically a collection of books celebrating the wonder of femdom
Edited by Pinocchio on 10/21/2012 7:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Did someone call?

Whitch is why Rand Matt and Perrin, the 3 Tav'eeren at the center of the story are men.

No, Not at all there kiddo.

01/14/2012 12:25 AMPosted by Vaelkyri
I gave up after book 13.

There isnt 13 books yet.

-----

Man from the sounds of the WoT-Hate in this thread we have some 50 shades and Twihard fans in this thread! i mean to harp on so about Robert jordans writing style (and Brandon Sandersons after he took over) you must be into bad writing.

And while i will admit that sometimes R.Jordan could go into a BIT too much detaill about the common room of an inn, it helps set the story. it pllaces the reader IN that common room. it helps the imagionation SEE what R.Jordan WANTED the reader to see.

overalll, 10/10 book series. those who dont like it can go back to there crappy fanfic garbage.
Edited by Tuon on 12/17/2012 6:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Seems more about gender polarism. The women seem to be feminists, while the men are often misogynists. At any point in time a character will make a comment regarding the other sex that is soon mirrored by that gender making a comment to the initial character's sex.

12/17/2012 06:50 AMPosted by Tuon
overalll, 10/10 book series. those who dont like it can go back to there crappy fanfic garbage.

The series starts out well enough, but Jordan had some pacing issues later on in the series. The Eye of the World and The Great Hunt are much, much, much better books than Crossroads of Twilight. Now I've heard some great things now that Sanderson has picked it up, so I might get through to his stuff finally, but having read some of Sanderson's other stuff, I think I might like Sanderson better than Jordan.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
05/30/2011 08:49 PMPosted by Tomten
A prequel came out sometime also; I never read it and don’t remember the name.

Errr..... I read it a while back.... New Spring I think? Iunno.

I've read all of the books published so far and love the series.

Can't wait for the last one :D

All hail the Dragon Reborn.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
There isnt 13 books yet.

Well if you count Book Zero there is.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue

celebrating? hahaah no. the world's an utter mess due to 10,000 years of "femdom", heck no one trusts female Aes Sedai at all. Plus, the whole crux of the story is that having a man and woman working in harmony outstrips nearly anything you can throw against it

Although how the guys had patience with a lot of the women who come off as incredible harpies, i have no idea.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
The series starts out well enough, but Jordan had some pacing issues later on in the series. The Eye of the World and The Great Hunt are much, much, much better books than Crossroads of Twilight. Now I've heard some great things now that Sanderson has picked it up, so I might get through to his stuff finally, but having read some of Sanderson's other stuff, I think I might like Sanderson better than Jordan.

his wife took over editing as he got sicker. that's my theory as to why the later books have such weird pacing
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

That's a fair opinion. I like both Sanderson and Jordan, but as you point out Jordan had some real pacing issues. I don't think it had much to do with his wife taking over editing, and think it was more that after the first 2-3 books he was a proven success, and successful authors get a lot more freedom with what they can write, and tend to be a bit more self-indulgent. You can see the same thing happening with ASOIAF (First three books were great, since then books have been taking forever to come out, and much slower pace with lots of meandering and useless plot threads), and even with the Kingkiller Chronicles (the author allegedly had all 3 books written at the start. But since his first book was so successful he's spent literally years rewriting/editing the sequels).

Personally, I think Jordan had a more immersive writing style. Something about the way he wrote really seems to flow better than Sanderson. Of course there is a good argument that could be made that the flow is what caused Jordan's pacing to be slowed down so much. It could also just be Sanderson is younger and not quite as experienced yet, I definitely noticed a huge difference between Elantris (his first book), Mistborn (a later series), ToM (his most recent WoT book), and A Way of Kings (his most recent book written on his own). A Way of Kings is by far the best written/flowing of his books in my opinion, my main hope is his later books in that series don't fall prey to the author self-indulgence I mentioned above.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Vox
Not sure if anyone has seen this review of the series, but I found it pretty amusing. While I agree with some points brought up, overall I am fan of the series and have the last book on pre-order.

http://forum.malazanempire.com/index.php?showtopic=21832

Warning, may contain some content offensive to people.
Edited by Bebbit on 12/24/2012 4:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
There isnt 13 books yet.

Yes there is. 14 if you count new spring:

0. New Spring 334 26 122,150 12h 31m 6 January 2004 Prequel set 20 years before the events of the first novel.
1. The Eye of the World 782 53 305,902 29h 32m 15 January 1990
2. The Great Hunt 681 50 267,078 26h 08m 15 November 1990
3. The Dragon Reborn 674 56 251,392 24h 31m 15 October 1991
4. The Shadow Rising 1001 58 393,823 40h 31m 15 September 1992
5. The Fires of Heaven 963 56 354,109 36h 34m 15 October 1993
6. Lord of Chaos 987 55 389,823 41h 37m 15 October 1994 Locus Award nominee, 1995.[5]
7. A Crown of Swords 855 41 295,028 30h 31m 15 May 1996
8. The Path of Daggers 672 31 226,687 23h 31m 20 October 1998
9. Winter's Heart 766 35 238,789 24h 18m 7 November 2000 Prologue chapter was released as a promotional eBook in September 2000.
10. Crossroads of Twilight 822 30 271,632 26h 03m 7 January 2003 Prologue chapter was released as a promotional eBook on July 17, 2002.
11. Knife of Dreams 837 37 315,163 32h 24m 11 October 2005 Prologue chapter was released as a promotional eBook on July 22, 2005.
Final novel completed by Robert Jordan.
12. The Gathering Storm 766 50 297,502 33h 02m 27 October 2009 Completed by Brandon Sanderson.
13. Towers of Midnight 864 57[6] 327,052 38h 17m 2 November 2010[7] Completed by Brandon Sanderson.[6]

Forgive the horrid formatting.

I agree with the rest of your post though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I just recently read the series for the first time.

I loved it, but I had a lot of trouble adjusting once Sanderson took over. Some characters stopped feeling like themselves to me. Mat in particular. But overall Sanderson did a fine job with a very difficult task. I'm looking forward to the next book.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

I loved it, but I had a lot of trouble adjusting once Sanderson took over. Some characters stopped feeling like themselves to me. Mat in particular. But overall Sanderson did a fine job with a very difficult task. I'm looking forward to the next book.

5 days!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

5 days!!!

Yep. I just finished rereading the entire series again in anticipation.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]