Arathi Basin - WoW Magazine

(Locked)

Community Manager
Tell us how you win Arathi Basin! World of Warcraft Official Magazine is looking for player tips and tricks for achieving a victory.

If chosen your name and text could appear in a future issue of the Official World of Warcraft Magazine.
85 Troll Shaman
Zerg Gold Mine.

Seriously though, my guild name says it all.
Edited by Scraman on 5/27/2011 12:42 PM PDT
85 Night Elf Hunter
By owning ST / LM and GM or BS. However none of this happens when people fight on the road. So Scraman's guild name is right on target with out that you do not win.

Edit: For those games where people do focus on a target on the road I WTB fishing in AB back.
Edited by Deathrind on 5/27/2011 12:48 PM PDT
100 Tauren Shaman
I win AB by blaming my team.
85 Worgen Druid
Learn how to be in 5 places at once!

In all seriousness though, if you are defending a flag, for goodness sake, fight on the flag and use splash damage abilities. I hardly ever PVP so I shouldn't be one to give advice on such matters but in the times that I did do Arathi Basin all I would have to do is lay in wait in steath mode, wait for a distraction, and cap the flag. I could do that at least once every game and I get lols out of it every time.
85 Dwarf Paladin
There really is no trick. Which bases you have or get first don't really matter. In Arathi Basin, just like every other battleground, the key to winning is teamwork. I know it may sound cliche but that's really what it is all about in an mmo. If you can't work together you can't win.
Edited by Nonfiction on 5/27/2011 1:23 PM PDT
85 Worgen Druid
Play aggressively, react quickly.
85 Undead Warrior
By owning your factions magic triangle.

The Blacksmith is always the center.

If you are Alliance keep ST, Horde keep farm.

Between the BS and your base is a bridge, which also happens to be near another node, GM for Alliance LM for Horde.

Get that node.

Put your spare or backup defenders on the bridge and from the Smith call incs for all locations.

Your opening gate move will be 1 Farm or ST 5 Smith 4 LM for rated.
Your opening gate move will be 1 Farm or ST 7 Smith 7 LM for PuG.

If you choose LM because it is high ground, go back to the TV, this is not Hollywood.
Edited by Bloodbone on 5/27/2011 1:35 PM PDT
Defend!
Defend!
Defend!
Don't cap and then leave a lone Mage on the flag. I can only shout "You Shall Not Pass" only so many times before the actually do pass.
85 Worgen Druid
When my guildmates and I play we usually control GM, Stables, and either blacksmith or Lumber Mill. Put a healer at the front two nodes and fight on the flags.

I usually hover somewhere in the middle between the bases and respond to pressure accordingly, making sure to CC and control the attacking horde to offset their numbers advantage.
Works well for us.

And if too many come into a base, I let the team know that they've sacrificed a lot of defense in order to assault this one base, and we move on the offensive. It's really just all about experience and situational awareness.
Lumber Mill, Blacksmith, and Farm (or Stables if your alliance) are the best locations to hold if possible. From Lumber Mill, you get great view of the a large part of the bg area. Blacksmith allows you to get to any of the four other bases quickly. Farm/Stables is the closest base to your personal graveyard, allowing recapture to potentially become easier.

However, you can't always have it your way. In this case its sometimes rare, but you should at least try to hold blacksmith if you cannot have all of the other mentioned bases, to allow easier defense.

EDIT: PS: I'm basing this off of pugging. :p Where you can't always decide who and how many will stay at certain bases to defend.
Edited by Oraxe on 5/27/2011 1:32 PM PDT
85 Human Death Knight
Farm, Blacksmith, and Lumber Mill are the three best nodes in the BG. By keeping a small number of players on each node with the rest sitting on the crossroads between them you can easily get to any node that's in trouble.

That being said a good offense is a good defense. where would you rather fight, your teams' node with the possibility of losing it or the other teams' node with the possibility of winning it?
95 Dwarf Shaman
What follows is a basic strategy I've been using since vanilla. It served me well in the original premade days and helped my druid successfully obtain Justicar with my team :)

Break your group up into flag defense groups and floater/offense groups.

For flag defense groups, you will want them to be no fewer than two players each as it's sometimes possible to lose a flag cap while CC'd. You want backup to prevent the flag capture in case your trinket is down. You can pair with a healer, or any class that has high survivability. The purpose of these defensive groups is to prevent the nodes from getting ninja'd and to call incomings. After that, the defense groups need to hold the flag until a floater group can arrive to save the day.

Floater groups need to be fast moving, mobile groups who float between two or three nodes and assist the defensive groups. They will also operate as an offense group, taking a poke at a flag if they aren't needed for defense. Generally they will hover in a common area so that they can get to a node to assist as quickly as possible. When a defensive team calls for assistance the floater group will head there and help drive back the enemy. They will also need to be paying attention and break away when it's clear that the node is safe and/or the defensive group can hold it. The reason for this is that they need to get back to their floater position as quickly as possible in order to assist the next node under attack.

In your average AB game, you need to hold three points to win. I like to have three, two man defensive groups and two, four-man floater groups with the last player going where assistance is most needed. At the beginning of the match we might start with a single person on defense to stack the offensive group higher in order to better take a node. Anyway, assuming all goes well, we'll have three nodes with 2 people sitting at each flag. The two floaters will sit between them. For alliance, good places for the floaters to sit would be on the road to BS bridge from Stables near GM, and at the bottom of the road as it leads up to LM from stables.

If horde attacks GM, the GM side floater assists. If they attack the LM, the LM side floater assists. If it's a huge zerg, the players from Stables and BS might shift to assist on either side, with the appropriate floater shifting to temporarily cover defense. Additionally, if it's a large attack on one side, the floater group on the other side may take that opportunity to take a poke at the closest node on their side, thus either capping a 4th node, or retaking a 3rd in the event that defense was unable to hold back the enemy offense.

Continue to play this fluid, tug of war style of play until hopefully, you win. As the other team will likely be doing similar, try not to get too frustrated. The most important thing you can do is communicate and make sure you fight on flags. Try not to get distracted and try not to get caught up in tunnel vision. You need to see what's going on around you and communicate it to your team.

Hope that's what you were looking for :)
85 Worgen Rogue
Capture all 5 bases and camp horde at their starting zone.
85 Undead Warrior
05/27/2011 01:33 PMPosted by Foxymischief
Capture all 5 bases and camp horde at their starting zone.

Wake up wake up, you were dreaming!!
29 Goblin Warlock
Communicate. If people can help call out Inc's, people can get to a base with just enough time to prevent a flag cap. This allows the previous defenders to rez and fight off the attackers. If the attackers are in such a large group, say in BG that other nodes are probably empty, and tol take them instead of fighting at Stables the whole time.
85 Dwarf Warrior
There are many strategies out there, but one more thing to consider attacking is the enemy's moral. Humiliating the enemy, even at one node, can have large impacts on their team performance.

Examples of stressers:
-Keep an enemy alive when they want to die.
-Have a rogue harass one of their nodes for a while in stealth.
-Co-ordinate damage cooldowns: let them think they're up on you for about 10 seconds then, when they've overextended themselves, obliterate their offense with everyone using their cooldowns at the same time.
-Flip a node to neutral even if you know you can't keep it.
Edited by Buckybadger on 5/27/2011 1:42 PM PDT
85 Human Paladin
Fight on the flags, not the roads - sometimes it's helpful to run in and, Hungering Cold/Frost Nova rezzers that are incoming, but that's about it.
MVP - Technical Support
98 Draenei Mage
Strap bacon to my body and let the horde chase me into the lake.

Then after that ....

Well I never get to that part :)

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
85 Blood Elf Paladin
As Horde, LM/BS/Farm is a tight triangle. I'd rather avoid GM myself, its a far away node with limitted view.

Off the start, have the team capture farm and split players between LM and BS. The enemy will capture stables and GM, and most cases go straight from GM to Farm, so i tell my team to be ready for this sneaky assault.

If say 7 go LM, 7 go BS and 1 is defending farm. After both LM/BS cap, about 2 from each flag fall back to farm and defend it from the incoming attack.

This strategy I use often and its quite hard for Alliance to beat. Once we stabilize our bases and truely control all 3, I like having 3 defend each flag, with the rest of the team mounted and roaming, patrolling for incomings, a "quick response" team if you will. LM provides superior view of enemy movements, and BS is also a good view if one of the defenders keeps riding around the island looking for enemy movement.

As Alliance, I truely believe the battleground is unfair to them. The tight Horde defensive position is near impossible to crack, when Horde play right using my strat this is nearly unbeatable. To counter this strat, Alliance must send a heavy initial rush at one of the flags, preferably LM. Alliance should send up to 11 players to LM at the start of the game, with a paladin for Crusader Aura, to break up and kill the Horde at the flag and gain control.

Then what...they are left holding GM/LM/stables. Not a good combination to hold, very hard to defend, massive distance between bases. Stables should be the launching ground for flag defenses. Since bases are so far apart, 4 players should hold each base. That means less roamers.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]