Arathi Basin - WoW Magazine

(Locked)

85 Night Elf Hunter
First of all, when I enter the battleground, I dismiss my loving pet Giraffe and summon my trusty Rhino, Punty.

We'll then make our way over to the lumbermill, hopefully with part of the team, and with their help take the flag.

Then I wander over to the saw mill and hide near the big saw blade with rhino waiting to pounce on an attacker.

We'll wait patiently until just such a fiend comes along and tries to take our flag.

Rhino immediately rushes in to action, charging the offender with haste and promptly lifts and throws the poor soul over the edge of the cliff! Mission accomplished!

When he comes back to my hiding spot, I give rhino a piece of swiss cheeses, he likes them the best. Sometimes he'll eat and apple if I have one.

Then we both sit and wait for the next victim to experience Rhino Punt!

Thats how we win the game!
85 Night Elf Priest
Others have covered most of the key strategic advice so here is something to think about on an individual level.

Think about what sneaky techniques your class can use to surprise your opponents and gain the upper hand when fighting for a flag. In the heat of a big battle shamans can cheekily ninja a node while in wolf form. Priests can try to sneak a cap by dispersing.

If there is a long fierce fight at a flag then think about what your class can do to give your side the upper edge. Instead of killing a target, CC them, drain their mana or my favorite technique as a priest... mind control them off the cliff at Lumber Mill.

If you are attacking a flag then remember to approach in stealth if you can, so the defenders don't call in re-enforcements. Another way to surprise your enemy is to slow fall or levitate en masse from Lumber Mill to Blacksmith or from the ridge above Gold Mine.
90 Night Elf Druid
Use Bg chat to your advantage. Don't troll. Work up a strategy. Even if most people in your group don't care about winning, there is 1 or 2 people out there that want to win the game. Work with those people and try to defend AB to the best of your abilities.

85 Gnome Mage
Farm, Blacksmith, and Lumber Mill are the three best nodes in the BG. By keeping a small number of players on each node with the rest sitting on the crossroads between them you can easily get to any node that's in trouble.

That being said a good offense is a good defense. where would you rather fight, your teams' node with the possibility of losing it or the other teams' node with the possibility of winning it?

I'm affirming this strategy as very good. That intersection has the shortest distance between three connected notes. An organized reserve can quickly move to any of the three that are under attack.
100 Worgen Priest
Roll Horde.
85 Human Warrior
When I run Rated BGs I make sure to run 4 healers
This following strategy is assuming that you start as Alliance:

- I send 1 DPS with a pet to cap/solo defend stables (since if the player is CCd he can use the pet to keep players off of the flag)

- 1 DPS and 1 healer to Gold Mine to cap that

- 3 Healers and 5 DPS head to The Blacksmith to cap that point.

- Upon successful capping of Stables, Gold Mine and the Blacksmith I distribute my forces

- 1 healer and 1 dps at each node to defend

- 1 healer and 3 DPS to sit in the road between Blacksmith, Mine and Stables as a roving group.

Whenever an incoming is called out the roving group will to back that node up, this way the node that is getting attacked will have 2 healers and 4 dps at it. Due to positioning of the nodes that we have, we will always be able to reinforce faster than they will be able to get there to attack.

If needed we can break up the roving force to defend two nodes at once, typically a Mage or Rogue would be separated from the roving force to defend a second attack due to their crowd control.
85 Gnome Mage
When I run Rated BGs I make sure to run 4 healers
This following strategy is assuming that you start as Alliance:

- I send 1 DPS with a pet to cap/solo defend stables (since if the player is CCd he can use the pet to keep players off of the flag)

- 1 DPS and 1 healer to Gold Mine to cap that

- 3 Healers and 5 DPS head to The Blacksmith to cap that point.

- Upon successful capping of Stables, Gold Mine and the Blacksmith I distribute my forces

- 1 healer and 1 dps at each node to defend

- 1 healer and 3 DPS to sit in the road between Blacksmith, Mine and Stables as a roving group.

Whenever an incoming is called out the roving group will to back that node up, this way the node that is getting attacked will have 2 healers and 4 dps at it. Due to positioning of the nodes that we have, we will always be able to reinforce faster than they will be able to get there to attack.

If needed we can break up the roving force to defend two nodes at once, typically a Mage or Rogue would be separated from the roving force to defend a second attack due to their crowd control.

You're getting CLOSE to the ideal strat but you aren't quite there yet.
85 Tauren Druid
There are five bases, don't keep trying to take one back if 50% or more of the enemy team is there! Coordinate with your teammates and attack bases where you have the player advantage.

Also, be aware of Elemental Shamans and Balance Druids at Lumber Mill =)
85 Human Death Knight
It's been mentioned before, but the only real time to release someone from base defense (excluding full-scale attacks) is when you have one or two competent stealthers who can go around and ruin the other side's plans. Even pre-mades, let alone PUGs, will make the wrong decision and break off an attack to recap the node when all they really need are one or two people to swing back and pick it up again while the stealther just moves on to the next node. Alternatively, a good rogue waiting a short distance out from a base can work wonders - sap the healer and then ambush or garotte a target as soon as they engage. With proper timing, this can actually leave the healer locked down for the entire skirmish, and the ambush victim might die before realizing the rogue is there as they've just started to fight one of the visible flag defenders.

Regarding actual strategy, rather than spoiling actions, the triangle with fluid movement and communication is the only reliable plan - but it itself relies on having a team that will communicate and move fluidly. Generally, this won't happen, and when it doesn't the battle devolves into individual or small group clashes where victory goes to the better warriors (as contrasted to the better soldiers).

That said, though, all of my characters have been on the wrong side of a chain-zerg in the past. The executing team for this will leave one or maybe two people at each base and send everyone else to a single point (usually mill/smith for Horde or smith for Alliance). After taking that and annihilating whoever the other side has sent to contest it, the tide will surge on and do the same to the rest of the map one point at a time. It sounds suicidal, but against disorganized teams it's fairly safe, as the victims can't reorganize fast enough to take the exposed points (extra credit if the zerg team keeps moving their guards around, making it seem like they have six or more defending instead of maybe three), and even against well-led groups the morale effects of getting hammered into the ground every time anyone stands and fights can be crippling.

Ironically given its lack of finesse, this is the single best four-cap/five-cap method I've seen, but if it does fall apart the zerging team is so hopelessly overextended they'll lose the entire map before they recover. This means they wind up on the receiving end of a four-cap or worse where the other team only has one point left to attack anyway and thus are fully justified in launching a true zerg rush of their own.
85 Undead Warrior
What a sad state of affairs, most of the responses are dead wrong.

No wonder BGs suck, no one knows how to play.
87 Human Mage
Since Arathi Basin is a 15 versus 15 player battleground and there are an uneven amount of nodes to guard (5), the best way to win is to ensure that you maintain at least 3 nodes for your team via a "revolving offense".
The team which can keep three or more nodes, while continuously shifting their offense to compensate for attacks from the enemy team will win. The strategy of cap three nodes and defend will only work against poor opponents. Your offense must be continuous and the pressure must be maintained against the enemy so they can't put pressure on you.
Edited by Zerethor on 5/30/2011 11:08 AM PDT
90 Goblin Shaman
I used to be in a guild called <ALLKEYBOUNDTOFROSTSHOCK>.

That usually got the job done.
70 Blood Elf Paladin
Getting the ideal node setup is great but don't get fixated on owning a node that is well defended. Most of the losses I've seen in AB is because a team just decides that they absolutely must have a certain node that is defended by a well entrenched team.

If a base has a lot of players defending it hit somewhere else, even if "somewhere else" is a node that may not be ideal for your setup.
Edited by Xannís on 5/31/2011 4:03 PM PDT
85 Tauren Druid
do the opposite of everything I say in chat and you have a good shot at winning!
85 Worgen Druid
Working like office toy, the four silver balls on strings, if you hit one it slams into the other three and keeps going back n forth.

If GM is being hit, send some LM --> Stables, and send the ones at Stables to GM,
Less travel time.

Same thing in the other way if LM is being hit.

And if ST is being hit, then send a couple from each.
92 Blood Elf Paladin
05/27/2011 01:28 PMPosted by Goldenclaw
Play aggressively, react quickly.

This is the secret to all good pvp really. AB is no exception.
82 Tauren Paladin
Winning AB is pretty simple ...

Control 3 nodes for the majority of the match, and you win.

A mistake many make is that they get 3 nodes, and defend them, then fall apart when they lose a node. While you have 3 nodes, and the other has 2, of course they are going to try to get a 3rd. No team is going to sit on 2 nodes and ride out the match!

Unfortunately, you can't just put 5 people at each node and guarantee yourself a victory. They key at this point is communication and reaction.

When you lose a node, and you will, you either have to get that node back quickly, or take a node they just left under-defended.

Now, you shouldn't all mount up and charge the node under siege, leaving the other 2 nodes undefended! Big mistake often made!

Here is where communication comes in! If the node under attack is being hit with 5 or less, it can be salvaged. If it is hit with more than 5, you should sacrifice that node and take one of theirs. Stealth characters should keep the other 2 nodes under surveillance for a quick counter strike.

This is actually MUCH more advantageous to you than trying to hold the 3rd node!

Why? Because when you are up 3 to 2, you are gaining resources at a 3 to 2 ratio. When you swap nodes, you are gaining resources at a 2 to 1 ratio for the minute it takes to gain control of the node after capping.

Now, in many matches, you will at some point find yourselves down 3 to 2 instead of up 3 to 2. Don't panic! Don't go crazy and wind up down 4 to 1. At a 4 to 1 ratio, even for a couple of minutes, the other team will get a huge lead.

The key here is to scout, identify the weakness, then strike. BUT, don't just hit it straight out! Keep 2 at each node you hold, send 3 as a feint to one node, and 30 seconds later send 8 to the node you want to take. This will prevent their entire team from showing up as you are trying to take the node you want, as they will already be responding to your feint. For the feint, use hardy characters that can take a beating to drag out the battle.

Now, the coup de grace is establishing a lead with the above strategies, then, if possible, taking a fourth node when they are vulnerable. 1 or 2 stealthers can often grab a fourth node as half the other team rides off to do battle! This is especially effective at the mine as many players hate to defend this node, as there is almost no visibility towards the rest of the battlefield.

All of this is sound advice, IF you can get your team to listen. Many times just having a level headed leader who can direct the action is more valuable than anything else. If your team is wasting time typing out insults to each other, it's kind of hard to type and fight at the same time. Each second spent arguing is 100 percent wasted time!

And of course, even if you play a good game, sometimes the other team is just better. You may be out-geared, the other team may have a better mix of classes, and may just be more coordinated and skillful than you.

When you find yourselves in this situation, "Just let them win!" is not a constructive strategy. Throughout your BG career, you will wind up playing with many of the same players over and over. Fostering a losing attitude is not constructive at all.

Above all, remember that it IS a game, and play to win, but also to enjoy!
21 Human Priest
give away secrets?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]