Whats mastery?

85 Human Paladin
Could somebody please tell me what is mastery?
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
97 Tauren Paladin
For your protection spec, it increases your chance to block (with a shield obviously)

For your holy spec, it does something retarded, so ignore it and never gem/reforge to it

for your ret spec, it gives a percentage of the damage done by your templar's verdict, divine storm, and crusader strike as extra holy damage. If you have room after stacking strength, mastery is your next stat to lump on your gear.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Go to your talent tree tab and click 'view summaries' to see what each mastery does. (IIRC)

Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
97 Tauren Paladin
06/03/2011 03:40 PMPosted by Orango
Go to your talent tree tab and click 'view summaries' to see what each mastery does. (IIRC)

This. Also, if you hover your mouse over your mastery value in your character pane, the tooltip will tell you what your current spec mastery does.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Your mastery is a passive benefit to your character based on what talent specialization you chose. As noted in the tooltip for each paladin mastery here on Wowhead, you can increase the effectiveness of your mastery bonus by stacking items with mastery rating: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#s

Some classes or talent specializations desire mastery rating much more than others, depending on how powerful the bonus is to their role, but the basic idea is that this passive skill is attractive to you because of the talent specialization you chose.
Reply Quote
41 Gnome Priest
Mastery is a stat you reforge out of, unless you're a tank.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Mastery is like pringles. The stackable snack that once you pop, the fun don't stop.

I should clarify: The lovely lady elf above me is a Holy Paladin. Their mastery is garbage. This, however, may change later in the xpac when they're able to stack obscene amounts of it (or something like that, total hearsay) but at this time it's about as useful for them as a square tire.
Edited by Leucen on 6/3/2011 3:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Mastery is the Armor Pen of Cataclysm. Some specs love it, some have no need for it.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Why didn't Bliz give different names to the passive bonus Mastery and the stat Mastery?

This seems to confuse so many people.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
What is mastery?
Oh baby, don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more
Oh, baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more

What is mastery?
Yeah

Oh, I don't know why you're not there
I give you my love, but you don't care
So what is right and what is wrong
Gimme a sign

What is mastery?
Oh baby, don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more
Oh, baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more

What is mastery?
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
97 Tauren Paladin
Why didn't Bliz give different names to the passive bonus Mastery and the stat Mastery?

Uhh... I don't see what's confusing. They are both the same thing. The stat mastery increases that passive bonus, so I kind of get what you're trying to say... unless you want more "ratings" like crit and hit, etc. Get more Mastery rating for more mastery.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman

Uhh... I don't see what's confusing. They are both the same thing. The stat mastery increases that passive bonus, so I kind of get what you're trying to say... unless you want more "ratings" like crit and hit, etc. Get more Mastery rating for more mastery.

Yeah I understand the distinction and the idea behind them both being Mastery as one increases the other, but I've just seen so many posts about it that it obviously confuses some people.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
06/03/2011 03:47 PMPosted by Healstime
Mastery is a stat you reforge out of, unless you're a tank.

I'll reforge into mastery as frost, if haste is already on the item.
Edited by Karat on 6/3/2011 4:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
06/03/2011 03:47 PMPosted by Marathel
Some Masteries are downright terrible and have absolutely nothing attractive to them at all.

And since it's a single generic stat, they can tweak how it affects each class/spec differently w/o worrying that they are going to break a bunch of other stuff. Like when they change how Hunters use Agility.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
I don't like Mastery because I can't figure it out.

I reforged everything to mastery, my dps went in the pooper. I reforged everything out of mastery, my dps went in the pooper too.

So I tried to balance all of my stats and... I still feel like I'm missing something.

Phooey on all of it, I say. :(
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
I don't like Mastery because I can't figure it out.

I reforged everything to mastery, my dps went in the pooper. I reforged everything out of mastery, my dps went in the pooper too.

So I tried to balance all of my stats and... I still feel like I'm missing something.

Phooey on all of it, I say. :(

I'd guess its a middling stat for you. I don't know about mages, but for frost DKs, mastery is third after str and haste. Thus, if there's haste and something else on an item (crit, for example), you'll reforge into mastery, but if there's just mastery, you'll reforge out of it and into haste.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]