Arms PvP Guide - Info and Tactics (4.3)

(Locked)

85 Human Warrior
There are some things I hadn't considered, like intervening the shaman when he's scattered. Thanks! Good stuff.

Unfortunately we picked up a DK randomly since the warlock was a no-show for the past few days, so we're running a TSG with a shaman, which we were avoiding but it's late in the season, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Either way, the information is helpful and all good stuff to keep in mind so I don't get that 'cleave' mentality stuck in my head.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
06/06/2011 04:13 PMPosted by Squirrelnut
F Mage:

I have come to love this abbreviation for them >_>

Nice guide too, Arms is smexy.
90 Orc Warrior
FYI -- Updated the original post with links to improve the ease of navigation. Basically can just click the link beside the section you want to see and it will jump down to that post on the page. To get back to the top you can just click back on your browser; prevents any need for scrolling =)
Edited by Squirrelnut on 6/13/2011 1:40 PM PDT
85 Goblin Warrior
slam or heroic strike on my bar???

i just dont think slam is that useful, id put the points into heroic strike myself in the defensive tree
90 Orc Warrior
slam or heroic strike on my bar???

i just dont think slam is that useful, id put the points into heroic strike myself in the defensive tree

A lot of newer Warriors take this sort of approach of simply spamming Heroic Strike with points in Incite. The problem with doing this is you are badly hurting your performance for a few key reasons:
    1. Lack of Damage
      Slam hits substantially harder then Heroic Strike. Since HS costs a lot of rage it becomes a choice of using either one or the other and if you opt to use HS just because it is instant you are missing out on a lot of damage you could be doing.

2. Rage Deprivation
      Heroic Strike is the least rage efficient ability we have (hence being a rage dump off the GCD) so if you are using it in place of any other ability you are making a big mistake. It should ONLY be used during Deadly Calm or if you have 60+ rage

3. Should be Using Both
      During Deadly Calm when rage is not a concern you should be using BOTH because HS is not on the GCD. When MS & OP are on CD you should be Slamming and if you have enough rage you should be using HS as well.

Basically taking Incite over Imp Slam and not frequently using Slam is a loss of damage that you could be doing. It may take a little practice and it may be a little more difficult but wouldn't you prefer to get good at something that improves your play beyond what is possible from an inefficient HS spam spec?
90 Orc Warrior
Switched to TSG to entertain myself last night since my WLS shammy is hardly ever on and our team hasn't played in a couple weeks. I thought I would give it a try for the lols taking advantage of OP Frost DKs before 4.2 nerfs would be funny... Biggest tunnel facerollfest ever made lmao

Seriously going from WLS where we had to coordinate efficient positioning, peels and target switches over to TSG is such a joke; here is how it goes:
    Start on whatever player is closest -> DG -> HC -> Int Shout -> Strang -> Throwdown -> dead healer or you fail

Don't get me wrong it is fun to destroy teams while drunk and using minimal coordination but to be honest the versatility of a good Frost DK is straight up ridiculous. We are basically REWARDED for ignoring everything and tunneling 1 player non-stop. Team is only at like 1800 rating so far but my MMR is up to over 2550 and we are getting 80+ points per game. Anyone that argues the DK nerfs weren't needed either hasn't seen a decent F DK or just likes being OP if they play with one.

I hope to get back to WLS once 4.2 comes out, the effort and sense of accomplishment from those wins is a lot higher. Everyone says Bliz "balances around 3v3" but playing TSG for a night sure made me understand why WoW was dropped from competitive tournaments. I really wish they would do two things:
    1. Ignore Rated BGs for any balance decisions (too easy to find OP comps)
    2. Balance PvP around 3v3 Arena and utilize different ability effects in PvP vs PvE (which they are half doing anyway... CS looking at you... and would make both PvPers & PvEers happy)
Edited by Squirrelnut on 6/15/2011 9:31 AM PDT
90 Orc Warrior
Ya, the option of retaliation + root (so he can't pull it back) on a pet when fighting a hunter that is trying to range or LoS you is very nice, many times you can either get a kill on it or get it low enough that when the Hunter comes to save it and you charge them any cleaving while attacking the hunter will finish it off for your Victory Rush proc.
85 Human Warrior
Just wanted to say thanks for this guide it has been amazing, I stopped playing a warrior near the end of BC and found I had no idea how to play one in Cata, this has been a great help in getting me back into pvp.
90 Orc Warrior
Feel free to jump in with questions and I can update the FAQ if it is something frequently asked for.
hey squirrel, another question, ive been running 3s with resto shaman/frost dk/me was wondering for strategy wise, we have been focusing heals, should we change that strategy or does it depend?
85 Night Elf Mage
When to pop retaliation? What classes are most vulnerable to it?
85 Orc Warrior
im wondering why this has not been stickied yet
85 Human Warrior
Can you go over enchants in the guide?
90 Draenei Warrior
Very nice guide. One suggestion, though.

In your section about which pets do and do not activate Victory Rush, you should note that killing the ghouls from a DK's Army of the Dead activate Victory Rush as of right now.

Otherwise, thumbed you up and requested a sticky. It's about time this forum had a PVP guide like this.
Excellent
90 Orc Warrior
06/18/2011 08:36 AMPosted by Moveover
hey squirrel, another question, ive been running 3s with resto shaman/frost dk/me was wondering for strategy wise, we have been focusing heals, should we change that strategy or does it depend?

Depends on who you face but generally Priest/Druid you blow them up. Pally/Shammy it varies depending on comp. KFC we usually go after the hunter to minimize some damage and pressure, TSG we go after the DK to either blow him up or force him defensive to spam DS heals and stop his pressure, RMP we switch between players but Priest ends up being the kill target in the end, MLS we will usually sit on the lock (stops a lot of his pressure) while our shammy shears the mage (sheep highest priority). I did some TSG with a Shammy healer tonight and it worked pretty well, I prefer Shammy heals over any other healer because they are basically the #1 healer in virtually any comp right now.

06/18/2011 10:46 AMPosted by Arkinesis
When to pop retaliation? What classes are most vulnerable to it?
Generally it is just when being focused by any melee. Against Warrior & Rogue it can be very helpful as a defensive CD as they tend to go after someone else if you have it up.

06/18/2011 12:45 PMPosted by Destin
Can you go over enchants in the guide?

I don't really see much point considering there are really no options, all decent Warriors get the same ones: Str/Resil on everything you can, 40 resil on chest, mastery/speed on boots, attackpower/crit on legs, strength on hands & wrists, landslide on weap. Basically get Str whenever possible and same with Resil. I might throw something brief up if I have enough space still after including addon's.

Very nice guide. One suggestion, though.
In your section about which pets do and do not activate Victory Rush, you should note that killing the ghouls from a DK's Army of the Dead activate Victory Rush as of right now.
DK's never pop it anymore and if they do they are pretty much stupid since you can VR off of them whenever you want plus I don't think it is possible in Arena anymore.
Edited by Squirrelnut on 6/20/2011 11:52 AM PDT
85 Troll Warrior
Sticky!!!
85 Worgen Rogue
Tsssk I was hoping for something like this for arms.......

GRATZ for the STICKY ^^

Btw, keep it up, excellent guide!!!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]