Is PVP Healing Fun?

85 Human Priest
Hello cuties.

I'd like to know if there are any of you who enjoy healing in PVP as Disc or Holy in general. I'm not really interested in whether you are successful or not. I'm just interested in if you enjoy it, if you find it fun and rewarding. Is it something you would do without reward? I know fun is very subjective, so obviously the discussion here will also be subjective.

My experiences in PVP as a healing Priest in cata so far has been mostly negative. I find that I am very easy to lock down and most, if not all strategies in the 3v3 arena bracket seem to be to destroy the healer as quickly as possible. Other players have many tools to prevent me from casting anything and the majority of the time I am actually not playing the character. Now of coarse, I realize that wihtout assistance from my team, I will be locked down and destroyed. The type of PVP is irrelevant, it could be Arena, Battlegrounds or World PVP, it really doesn't matter. My experience is the same. Its just not fun.

My Frost Mage however, is like looking at the flip side to this experience. It is extremely rewarding, it is fun and I would do it all day without reward. Playing a Frost Mage is extremely fun solo and even more fun with a team.

Is playing a Priest Healer only fun if people babysit you?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I don't think it's very fun, but I do think winning is fun, and I think a disc healer in PvP is going to be a means to that end. Then again, it's dependent on your ally's, which is exactly why I don't find it fun.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I love pvp healing(have 3 pvp healers). Being a healer usually swings games in my favor. I can protect the FC, help defend nodes, support an offensive push, keep teammates out of CC, etc.. I love healing because just one healer can make all the difference between decisive victory and crushing defeat.

In terms of whether you need babysitting, you don't in random battlegrounds, but you certainly do in arenas and rateds. Priests in particular are notorious for being very squishy to melee, and consequentially, most melee teams will make a beeline for you. Without peels, you will die. Therefore it would be in your best interest to partner with classes that are good at peeling(rogues and mages come to mind).
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
I personally love pvp healing. I pvp as holy, and for me its incredibly fun to frustrate damage dealing players, when they cant kill me, even though they are tunneling me and blowing all their CDs.

Right now in its current state, holy is awesome if you like playing an offensive healer. Its only downside is mana compared to say druids or shaman, but I figure when I get better gear that wont be an issue as much.

Granted, I mostly play BGs, I only arena for points. (I personally dont really feel arenas take a lot of skill its more based on comp and gear. I mean the top end arena probably takes skill but overall its really the class matchups that determines who wins when the skill level is relatively equal) if blizz really wanted to make arenas fair they would either give everyone the same gear or make ppl arena with no gear, lol. make it so you have pickups in the arena or something like quake. :P

But ya pvp healing is fun. You can feel the other players frustration when they forget all objectives and just chase you for the entire BG because they are mad they cant kill you, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yes, it's fun; I love the challenge.
Being targeted and battered first off is harrowing, but as a disc priest, I feel I can usually hold my own as long as someone else around me knows what they're doing. Plus, it's super satisfying knowing that a) you are annoying the crap out of the other team, and b) you are a big part of the reason your own team is doing well.
That said, I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. Recently (maybe since the last patch?), it seems like I am perpetually stunned/silenced/incapacitated, and it's becoming a little too exasperating...
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Its fun to kill bads in a healing spec.

Also, in holy Body and Soul is ridiculously fun. 60% ms bonus yes
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
06/07/2011 09:04 AMPosted by Mìsery
I don't think it's very fun, but I do think winning is fun, and I think a disc healer in PvP is going to be a means to that end. Then again, it's dependent on your ally's, which is exactly why I don't find it fun.

I find the situation the exact opposite. I often make my allies look like superheroes, and I can definitely tell when I ride into a fight at a flag the tide changes dramatically in our favor.

Behind every kill/damage leader is a healer oom. =P

The only thing I hate is when I wade into a fight heavily outnumbered and the guys you ran into save all wuss out and run leaving you after you saved them from dying.

Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I've always loved my disc priest in pvp, in BC/wrath we were kinda forced to be babysat because we were the only healer with no type of freedom. Now we have one and don't have to be babysat as much. Every healer needs peels from time to time, especially in today's arena with meleecleave being 90% of the teams you queue into.. so it's not just a priest thing to need peels, it's a meleecleaves being dumb thing atm. but yes i've loved my priest in pvp, as disc, since i started him in BC. i also believe it's the highest skillcap healer mainly cause there's so many things you can be doing, ways to heal, cc, etc. some will prolly disagree with that tho but.. oh well lol. but yes, priest = most fun healer in WoW pvp! :P
oh and also! i've played every other healer at max level and i currently have all healers at 85 and still enjoy my disc the most, even tho rshams are incredibly op.. they're pretty boring to me.
Edited by Caxian on 6/7/2011 2:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I love PvP healing! :D Have since Wrath and Cata never changed it.
Reply Quote
79 Troll Priest
Ive been starting to run BGs as Holy, before lvling up I was BGing as disc and Idk why but I like holy in BGs.... When you stick with a buddy, its not so bad but Ive found that I dont want to go run off by myself... or get left behind..... but for the most part Ive been having a good time actually.... I love saving people from certain death or getting someone out of a CC then giving them a speed boost with body and soul..... makes the kiting mage/hunter/whatever crap their pants when that warrior I just freed gets a shield AND a speed boost lol...
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Incredible how fun it is, I'm only 1600 in 2s and 3s (dropped a bit from today) but it is a great challenge and as you get better it gets harder to lock you down (I get bursted every game)
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
06/07/2011 04:48 PMPosted by Dòbby
Incredible how fun it is, I'm only 1600 in 2s and 3s (dropped a bit from today) but it is a great challenge and as you get better it gets harder to lock you down (I get bursted every game)

See, thats the biggest issue for me right there. It seems double melee in 3's is far too effective and B-lining to the healer is the only viable strategy. The healer design is far to imobile. Its like being a healer is a punching bag spec. Since Cata, healers have lost a lot of mobility. Its the punching bag design philosophy thats bothering me I think.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
06/07/2011 10:07 AMPosted by Checkmydubs
Its fun to kill bads in a healing spec.

This! lol, they just get SO mad! Or bad rogues will just give up and vanish.

My newest funsie is to /lol at someone who should be going after the FC. I will taunt them with /lol until they get pissed enough to come after me. Worst case scenario is that it buys more time for the FC and diverts attention from them.

I'm grinding WSG rep, so have been doing WSG's ad nauseum. I PvP as Disc. Love it!
Edited by Flaxxen on 6/8/2011 12:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
[quote="26325800117"]My newest funsie is to /lol at someone who should be going after the FC. I will taunt them with /lol until they get pissed enough to come after me. Worst case scenario is that it buys more time for the FC and diverts attention from them.

I used to love this also. Often you can get over half of the assist train off a flag carrier and get them to chase you half way across the field. Who cares if you ended up dead?

When the mood strikes, I used to love healing PvP pugs. If you weren't healing, you were really effective bait -- both roles have great strategic potential.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I enjoy healing PvP. I've only got to a little over 1900 in 3v3 arenas, but I found that your success as a priest is heavily dependent on your teammates. We did a KFC and I was lucky to have two 2k+ experience partners that were awesome at peeling. The only reason it didn't work out better is because they both ended up transferring to two totally different servers.

I notice that I get targeted more than any other healer in BG's, probably because priests don't have as easy time escaping as other classes. My experience in battlegrounds doesn't influence my opinion in PvP much though.

I'm not busting on any other classes, but I'd say from my experience priests are a little more difficult to use properly. I haven't played a druid though, so I can't speak for them.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Also...
I've always loved my disc priest in pvp, in BC/wrath we were kinda forced to be babysat because we were the only healer with no type of freedom. Now we have one and don't have to be babysat as much. Every healer needs peels from time to time, especially in today's arena with meleecleave being 90% of the teams you queue into.. so it's not just a priest thing to need peels, it's a meleecleaves being dumb thing atm. but yes i've loved my priest in pvp, as disc, since i started him in BC. i also believe it's the highest skillcap healer mainly cause there's so many things you can be doing, ways to heal, cc, etc. some will prolly disagree with that tho but.. oh well lol. but yes, priest = most fun healer in WoW pvp! :P
oh and also! i've played every other healer at max level and i currently have all healers at 85 and still enjoy my disc the most, even tho rshams are incredibly op.. they're pretty boring to me.

This is very true.
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Priest
I started doing PvP healing on this priest just last weekend and for the most part I really enjoy it. Some classes are still pretty strong against me at this level, and with stuns and silences I can get burned down pretty easy, but I love being able to keep my team alive with bubbles and heals.

Occasionally a melee type tries to take me out one on one and with my reflective bubble followed by a fear, Mind Blast, and Penance, they are usually dead. It must annoy the heck out of rogues. However, I can usually only survive a rogue onslaught from stealth if I am pre-bubbled or they fail to crit. Still, much fun!

Honor is great, I have been up against the honor cap for a few days now, looking forward to 70 and buying a nice new set of gear!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]