Guild Progression Functionality

(Locked)

11 Dwarf Priest
Are there plans to implement differentiated 10 vs. 25 encounter time stamps / guild achievements or will the community be reliant on popular 3rd party sites to interpret this data?

Obviously, there will always be a strong demand for such information. Would be nice to get accurate data right from the source.
Edited by Pappas on 5/27/2011 3:49 PM PDT
Web & Mobile Team
There are no plans to differentiate between 10 vs 25 man stats at this time.
Edited by Straton on 5/27/2011 4:09 PM PDT
11 Dwarf Priest
05/27/2011 04:07 PMPosted by Straton

Fair enough. I suppose there's less opportunity for guilds to "cheese" or be foiled by rankings in GuildOx and WoWProgress come Firelands anyway (since there will be a single raid instance).

T11 was a bit of a gong show.
85 Blood Elf Rogue
05/27/2011 04:07 PMPosted by Straton

It would be really really nice to be able to show that you killed a boss in 25 since that is where the main competition is. With all the additions to the ui so that we are not so reliant on 3rd party websites, it would be nice for blizz to mark on your Heroic kill achievement which mode you killed it in first.

There wouldn't have to be 2 versions of the achievement in wrath, but it would be nice to give a way for 25 man guilds to show that they gave a little more effort than the 10 mans.
4 Troll Hunter
05/27/2011 05:20 PMPosted by Xenden
There wouldn't have to be 2 versions of the achievement in wrath, but it would be nice to give a way for 25 man guilds to show that they gave a little more effort than the 10 mans.

Wasn't it in current content that some 10 mans were actually a lot harder than their 25 man counterparts? The opposite being true as well that some 25 mans were a lot harder than the 10 man counterpart? Unless, all the various articles, player experiences, etc are incorrect.

Edit: Fixed a misspelling
Edited by Actaéon on 5/27/2011 6:20 PM PDT
85 Dwarf Warrior
It would be really really nice to be able to show that you killed a boss in 25 since that is where the main competition is. With all the additions to the ui so that we are not so reliant on 3rd party websites, it would be nice for blizz to mark on your Heroic kill achievement which mode you killed it in first. There wouldn't have to be 2 versions of the achievement in wrath, but it would be nice to give a way for 25 man guilds to show that they gave a little more effort than the 10 mans.

Whilst I still believe there should be separate realm firsts for 25 and 10 (Who cares if you inter grated the 2 tiers to one lockout, you can still give people the honour of showing they got realm first in their respective raid group level)... I would definitely agree with this comment, at least give us the personal satisfaction of having our Heroic/Normal achieves in a 25m status (Or 10 ofc if that's just what you'd prefer to show off)
5 Goblin Warlock
Well I've heard from a birdy, in the Blizz Development system nonetheless, that the overall plan is to remove 25m raiding and just have 10 and 10 heroic while moving a larger development force into the production of Titan care to elaborate?
85 Worgen Warlock
Hey Straton,

Any plans to add boss kills back to the news feed? I was trying to set up a php image script that would print out "latest boss kill" in my signature, but found that this was generally impossible.
Web & Mobile Team
05/27/2011 05:20 PMPosted by Xenden
It would be really really nice to be able to show that you killed a boss in 25 since that is where the main competition is.

Unrelated: I don't think that is accurate.

05/27/2011 10:42 PMPosted by Blacksen
Any plans to add boss kills back to the news feed? I was trying to set up a php image script that would print out "latest boss kill" in my signature, but found that this was generally impossible.

We have plans to expose news feeds through the API. I would advise against creating scripts that mine data from the html in the wow community site.
100 Night Elf Druid
It would be really really nice to be able to show that you killed a boss in 25 since that is where the main competition is.

With all due respect, it doesn't matter what Blizzard thinks, it matters what the community thinks. What we have from blizzard is "10 and 25 modes are intended to be equal" but in reality it's *not* the case. For some bosses 10m is harder, for some bosses 25m is harder.

I'm not *personally* interested in bragging rights, but many in the community are. Because of this, I'm indirectly affected, because other players perception of my guild affects my guilds recruitment efforts, which directly affects my own enjoyment.
Edited by Kyiran on 5/28/2011 12:56 PM PDT
11 Dwarf Priest

Which is "harder" is not the point, at all. The point is that they are *different*. It doesn't even matter if Blizzard hypothetically matches the difficulty setting of parallel heroic encounters (forget that you can't even measure this ... it just doesn't matter).

Blizzard stated repeatedly in the lead-up to Cataclysm that they didn't want 25 man guilds feeling compelled to run 10 man content. Well guess what? You shifted the motivation from loot (which was equalized) to progression and realm status. It still exists.

An elegant solution would be a guild achievement (i.e. a system that already exists) per heroic encounter that locks you out of the parallel encounter achievement. So a 25 man guild wants to throw together a perfect 10 man comp from a larger subset of players to nab a realm first or to disguise the fact they can't beat Al'akir with 25 players? Fine. But guess what? You sacrifice the 25 man achievement.

EDIT:

While the following is harshly stated ...
With all due respect, it doesn't matter what Blizzard thinks, it matters what the community thinks.

... the fact that Wowprogress and Guildox have to work so hard to imperfectly track how guilds are faring in progression should be a strong indicator that perhaps what is available in-game is simply not robust enough.
Edited by Pappas on 5/28/2011 1:22 PM PDT
85 Worgen Druid
05/28/2011 10:22 AMPosted by Straton

We have plans to expose news feeds through the API. I would advise against creating scripts that mine data from the html in the wow community site.

What the post is asking is why none of the Cata raid Boss kills show in a players news feed like previous tiers did. No one mentioned data mining HTML, and what point would that server.. the data is not there.
Web & Mobile Team
We do what we can with the data we are given.
85 Blood Elf Rogue
05/28/2011 01:14 PMPosted by Pappas

Which is "harder" is not the point, at all. The point is that they are *different*. It doesn't even matter if Blizzard hypothetically matches the difficulty setting of parallel heroic encounters (forget that you can't even measure this ... it just doesn't matter).

Blizzard stated repeatedly in the lead-up to Cataclysm that they didn't want 25 man guilds feeling compelled to run 10 man content. Well guess what? You shifted the motivation from loot (which was equalized) to progression and realm status. It still exists.

An elegant solution would be a guild achievement (i.e. a system that already exists) per heroic encounter that locks you out of the parallel encounter achievement. So a 25 man guild wants to throw together a perfect 10 man comp from a larger subset of players to nab a realm first or to disguise the fact they can't beat Al'akir with 25 players? Fine. But guess what? You sacrifice the 25 man achievement.

EDIT:

While the following is harshly stated ...
With all due respect, it doesn't matter what Blizzard thinks, it matters what the community thinks.

... the fact that Wowprogress and Guildox have to work so hard to imperfectly track how guilds are faring in progression should be a strong indicator that perhaps what is available in-game is simply not robust enough.

You said it more elegant than me, but all 25 man guilds want is a way to show we gave the extra effort to do 25 mans. When someone sees an heroic kill, usually the default thought is, well they probably did it in 10's. We just want a way to show no, in fact we are actually a 25 guild. It doesn't even make it so 10's have less of something, it just lets 25's differentiate themselves a little aside from "more loot". Which tbh, isn't why I raid, it is for the challenge, and I think there is some of the player base, (some being at least me and papas and i assume there are more, and you know what they say about assume) that would like a way to show "hey, i killed "X" in 25.
87 Draenei Priest
It would help recruitment a bit if there was a clear (not guessed, like what is currently done by loot/achievement tracking) distinction between formats and kills for guilds and individuals.

If anything, I would like to know what arguments you guys at Blizz have against that feature. Seeing from your point of view would be cool too.
Web & Mobile Team
I'm going to lock this thread because it now has nothing to do with the APIs we expose.
Edited by Straton on 5/28/2011 8:57 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]