Why the shortage of tanks?

85 Blood Elf Mage
So how come we don't have enough tanks on our server? Has it just become harder to tank in general or are people just being lazy?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I used to queue on my 4 tank characters a lot, but then they announced 4.2 and the valor -> justice conversion.... then I stopped :3
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
05/30/2011 07:35 PMPosted by Flamy
I used to queue on my 4 tank characters a lot, but then they announced 4.2 and the valor -> justice conversion.... then I stopped :3

So it's Blizzard's fault? =[
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Random dungeons are better off without flamy's tanks in queue, trust me.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
05/30/2011 07:50 PMPosted by Crass
Random dungeons are better off without flamy's tanks in queue, trust me.

Redux is better without a bad Gm like Punkers Aka Crass
Reply Quote
6 Worgen Warrior
You telling me an alien that ripped a dog apart got KO'd by a STICK?
Reply Quote
87 Orc Death Knight
A man that sees an alien that ripped apart his dog, picks up a branch and attacks the alien?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
tys
Now I'm just arguing from a tank pov. The other roles DO matter, but im sticking to the topic.

I've been in some pugs on my dps/healer alts and seen alot of tanks take alot of $hit from random people. I had to wait 30minutes for this guy to que up and these other tards want to tell him that his spec is all wrong or he shouldn't be gemming all stam or don't pull with your taunt button. I've witness people being really rude to some of the tanks I've been grouped with. Let's be completely honest, you aren't gonna be lucky enough to get a 372 ilvl geared tank thats 13/13 each time you run a dungeon. Just because he/she wears the Jenkins title doesn't mean that this person isn't competent enough to tank a 5man. It may not be the smoothest run, but hey, it's a run. Be nice to your tanks.

REMEMBER: It's only a 20-30min run so just get your points and get out. In the time it may take you to tell him/her what talents they should/shouldn't have, you could have killed a boss. Don't make the tank's job stressful. When you get lucky and get grouped with a decent tank, you WANT the tank to WANT to come back. Even if they aren't that good this time, being nice to them may entice them to reque and the next run may be even better.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Now I'm just arguing from a tank pov. The other roles DO matter, but im sticking to the topic.

I've been in some pugs on my dps/healer alts and seen alot of tanks take alot of $hit from random people. I had to wait 30minutes for this guy to que up and these other tards want to tell him that his spec is all wrong or he shouldn't be gemming all stam or don't pull with your taunt button. I've witness people being really rude to some of the tanks I've been grouped with. Let's be completely honest, you aren't gonna be lucky enough to get a 372 ilvl geared tank thats 13/13 each time you run a dungeon. Just because he/she wears the Jenkins title doesn't mean that this person isn't competent enough to tank a 5man. It may not be the smoothest run, but hey, it's a run. Be nice to your tanks.

REMEMBER: It's only a 20-30min run so just get your points and get out. In the time it may take you to tell him/her what talents they should/shouldn't have, you could have killed a boss. Don't make the tank's job stressful. When you get lucky and get grouped with a decent tank, you WANT the tank to WANT to come back. Even if they aren't that good this time, being nice to them may entice them to reque and the next run may be even better.

I like you, come play in Adapt
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Personally, I prefer to tank guild runs over pugs, mostly because I know and trust what my healer can and cant handle, I know whether or not the dps can attack a marked target, interrupt, and how well they perform. On my healer, I can handle most of the tanks that aren't so good, therefor really don't care what they do, making randoms much less stressful. When I say "LOS pull" I mean don't attack until they @@!%ing target until they get here. As a tank, you need to know and trust your group more than any other class, and the baddies stick out and effect you more than ever while tanking.
Edited by Provoken on 6/5/2011 2:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
tys

I like you, come play in Adapt

You can't have him, hes mine.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
06/11/2011 04:04 PMPosted by Elv
You can't have him, hes mine.

I would challenge you to a game of tug o war but I dont think I would win :-( On that premise, you win.

Lets be besties
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
I used to have a tank.
Then I realized that you can't click as a tank.
So I stopped tanking.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Since I need nothing from 5-mans, I tend to not run them. When there is new content, I'll do it a few times just to experience it. If you were my friend, maybe I'd tank 5-mans for you. But you're not.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
The big problem i've noticed is that the tank is expected to mark all targets, know all the fights, and tell everyone what to do; the dps mostly are just there to kill things and don't like thinking beyond that (and if you make them think, they'll have some choice words for you). Now this isn't always the case, but it is often the case, and makes tanking a thankless task; even the call to arms feature isn't often incentive enough to que tank sometimes.

It's also that I'm trying to keep my tanking and boom-chicken specs fairly equal, so I don't feel right queing as tank while rolling on caster gear.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
When DPS has the ability to blow all their big damage without regard for threat, then vote the tank off the island for failing to hold aggro, tanking is a losing proposition every time. I'll come back to tanking when DPS no longer has the power to play poorly and punish the tank.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
My last random dungeon (ZG) had 3 dps that refused to change anything on any fight, and basicly wanted me to rush around and do the fights for them. They were the narrow minded, short sighted, and just annoying. They were not interested in working as a team, they just wanted it done for them. All 3 put out crap dps even with them standing in one place mashing buttons.

So in summary, as a tank I'm expected to bring 110% to every dungeon while dps get to drool and mash buttons and at best putting forth 20% effort.

I love tanking, but the attitudes of pugs keeps me from queueing. So I stick with guild groups.

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
I think the problem has been summed up, if you want more tanks: stop being *@!*s to tanks.

Personally I've loved tanking since the day I hit max level, got very very good at it and within two weeks was running hyjal/bt alongside the GM of the guild being MT. Joining cata months after it's release after hiatus I had to put up with a LOT of *%@# in opinions of my gear from PUGs. I'm usually a tank who bends the rules on gear "requirements" for things like heroics, warriors have a lot of damage control and high end raiding doesn't let you "overgear" so much like heroics.I'm Only one person though, everyone has to do their part and that's usually forgotten by the stoners rotation of 1,2,2,3. and the healers only watching where they click.

Enough personal QQ, everyone needs time to learn, everyone does it differently. This is usually tolerated by low dps and the overgeared tanks in heroics so no one notices the slow heals. at this point in xpac life most tanks comftorble with showing up in PUGs have plenty of gear, the lower geared ones are just discouraged.

Remember PvE is cooperative, leave the crap talk to PvP :D.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Good tanks are saved to instances, noob tanks nobody gives a chance to. It's not that they aren't out there, it is just they are already spoken for, or don't meet thr requirements. I mean FFS, people want a min ilevel of 356 to run ICC! That's what a 264 ilevel raid?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]