New 27" iMac with AMD Radeon HD 6970M

Hi,

I am considering updating from an iMac 2.4 GHz w/HD2400 vid card and 2 GB memory to the 27" w/AMD Radeon HD 6970M vid card and 8 GB memory. My current computer works well enough with all setting at low, will this upgrade be significant. I am interested in hearing from other users that have this new machine. I am not interested in hearing from folks that just don't like Macs. Mac Bigot here........ :) Thanks all!

john
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
It will be a HUGE upgrade.. I can't stress this enough.
I upgraded from an imac with a 5750, and that was massive... Your upgrade will be enormous.

Reply Quote
thx Boland, since posting i've done some reading on the 6970 and see this question has been answered many ways. :) i'm doing it as soon as Apple is shipping Lion w/new machines.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I have a 27" with the 5750, I can run at the High preset with no issues (for me, that means FPS > 30, and more than 60 is just wasted heat and energy; I normally keep it capped at 30).

The faster processor, more memory and upgraded video card will be a huge upgrade for you, and the 27" is really glorious (the multiple cores help some, but it would be nice if Blizzard could take more advantage of them).
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
06/03/2011 04:01 PMPosted by Growltiger
I have a 27" with the 5750, I can run at the High preset with no issues (for me, that means FPS > 30, and more than 60 is just wasted heat and energy; I normally keep it capped at 30).

I like the way you think here. This is often true, anything over 60 is not recommended. Some people like to get as much FPS as they can but that can cause a lot of issues. Some people tho are used to higher FPS and can tell the difference but thats just very few people who have an eye for that thing, like film industry people do edit and stuff.
Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Tu-Sat 8:45 am - 5 pm CST
If you can't find it here, contact a rep direct :http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. Haala at your sheep!
What do you call heavy rains in Mulgore? A Taurential downpour....
Bah-ah-ah-ah-rains!!!
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
a lot of game mechanics are designed with 60fps cap in mind, you want proof of this go to any area with fog type animations, emerald dream, etc. these fogs only animate correctly < 60fps, above and they look pretty ridiculous, good examples would be island north of icecrown tournament. i really cannot fathom why people want to play more then 60fps, most screen refresh rates are 60ps so it's not like they can see the frames beyond 60, other then the graphical malfunctions above 60 cause or added overhead on their cpu/gpu that make them hotter. Unless you have a top of line 3rd party screen that's probably got a 120 refresh rate or something. but even still, wow isn't designed for that, i'm sure other animations are adversely affected then fog just cannot think of em off hand.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
Sad thing is, even on Lion the feature disparity with D3D is still an issue.

Top of the line iMac with the BTO 2 GB VRAM card runs WoW semi decently.

I've a 2007 24 inch iMac, Core2Duo, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, 256 VRAM.

I run at native res (1920x1200), MSAAx1, no v-sync, low shadows, low water, High everything else except View Distance which is at Medium. 40-55 fps.

We're talking about a 5 year old Mac with a very mediocre GPU if not downright awful (for what was available in 2007).

It pains me to say this but a USD 2,099 computer should put my current iMac to shame and it doesn't. I'm really hoping that Mountain Lion brings better display drivers with better OpenGL support.

Wishful thinking, I know...
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Kremel:

I have the same thing but the 21". I'd say bump the resolution down and it should be more playable.

Sad thing is, even on Lion the feature disparity with D3D is still an issue.

Top of the line iMac with the BTO 2 GB VRAM card runs WoW semi decently.

I've a 2007 24 inch iMac, Core2Duo, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, 256 VRAM.

I run at native res (1920x1200), MSAAx1, no v-sync, low shadows, low water, High everything else except View Distance which is at Medium. 40-55 fps.

We're talking about a 5 year old Mac with a very mediocre GPU if not downright awful (for what was available in 2007).

It pains me to say this but a USD 2,099 computer should put my current iMac to shame and it doesn't. I'm really hoping that Mountain Lion brings better display drivers with better OpenGL support.

Wishful thinking, I know...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]