Life at 85 - WoW Magazine

Community Manager
Now that your character is 85, what next? World of Warcraft Official Magazine is looking for creative tips to pass on to newer players who have reached the level cap. Previously, we've concentrated on gaining reputation, improving gear, and crafting, so think outside the box.

If chosen your name and text could appear in a future issue of the Official World of Warcraft Magazine.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Um, didn't you guys already do this a couple months ago?

Edit: Here's the other thread, in fact.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2301732827
Edited by Icedragon on 5/27/2011 12:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Rogue
05/27/2011 12:40 PMPosted by Bashiok
Previously, we've concentrated on gaining reputation, improving gear, and crafting, so think outside the box.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
05/27/2011 12:48 PMPosted by Bootleg
Previously, we've concentrated on gaining reputation, improving gear, and crafting, so think outside the box.

Other than achievements/exploring that's about all that's left. I suppose you could collect things like mounts/pets or old armor sets, but that's not really an end-game specific thing.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman

Something good to touch on would be how to use your new 85 to make life easier for your lower level alts, or for another toon that you're thinking about leveling.

Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
This is perhaps not what the blue is looking for, but my advice, when you hit max level, is simply revenge. I take a little bit of time now and then to destroy those murlocs that ganked me as a level 20, or take down that fel reaver in outlands that I accidentally stumbled upon. Low level dungeon wipes? Np, go solo the whole thing, and show them exactly how powerful you have become!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Whenever I get an alt to 85 (I have nearly 3 alts now) the first thing I do is research optimal specs, rotations, and stat priorities. Why not focus on getting better gear? Well, even though I do believe gear helps, I also believe that to be a good (Insert Class Here) it takes more than that. It takes a firm understanding of how your class truely works. You could have the best gear in the world (of Warcraft) but still do sub par DPS if you don't understand how to keep and maintain a solid rotation. Thankfully, we have a tremendous community out there with hundreds of websites, forums, and blogs to help me along the way.

In short, I research my class.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Start by learning about how, and when, to utilize your new spells. Set up appropriate keybindings - it is very important to be able to react immediately in a given situation. Over time you will develop muscle memory of all your keys.

Conduct research on your class. End game content, both PvE and PvP, are a very different in nature from leveling, and often times very unforgiving. Arm yourself with the right spec at the right time along with knowledge of spell priority/rotation will benefit you for a long time.
Reply Quote
21 Human Priest
In end game I focus mostly on dungeons and such but that can get boring after a few runs. To help break up that time I've found it really fun to take some of my lower level guildies and run them through some lower level dungeons. IDK just me. Make friends the game is so much better that way be it end game or not.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
You can duel other players and try become way better at fighting people.

Or you can start raid groups in your home city and go attack opposite faction cities.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
05/27/2011 01:15 PMPosted by Coridon
This is perhaps not what the blue is looking for, but my advice, when you hit max level, is simply revenge. I take a little bit of time now and then to destroy those murlocs that ganked me as a level 20, or take down that fel reaver in outlands that I accidentally stumbled upon. Low level dungeon wipes? Np, go solo the whole thing, and show them exactly how powerful you have become!

how do you stumble upon something that shakes the ground when its near and takes up the entire screen o_O
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
At the end-game content, I mainly do dailies each night when the dailies reset at 1:00am (My Time) 4:00am server. In the daytime I do heroics now and then along with selling items in the Auction House, as I'm trying to save gold for the Vial of the Sands mount.

I am getting close to obtaining it, which would be my 119th mount on this character. Doing PvP in Tol Barad and working on achievements is fun to do as well during the day!
Reply Quote
In the welcome to WoW forums we get a lot of questions in the realm of "I just hit 85, What now?"

Some of the biggest issues I see with players who finally get their first character to the level cap is the severe lack of understanding of just how important it is to have the correct stats on your gear, as well as how important it is to properly Gem and Enchant all of your gear as well in order to maximize your performance, especially if the player in question really wants to break into raiding. Lackluster performance won't cut it in a raid.

This includes using PVP gear to "fool" the iLvL check to get into Heroics for "Better gear" because it's "easier to get."
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I never made it to 85. I found my true passion well before you could even level to 70. When World of Warcraft started I set out to create a guild. Not just any guild, I wanted to lead the number one guild in the world. With that thought in mind <The Vineyard> was born. It didn't take long for us to start achieving server and world firsts, and my dreams were quickly realized. Years later <The Vineyard> is still number one, and still going strong. I never made it to 85, but my advice to a fresh 85 would be this: do as <The Vineyard> does; be the best at everything you do.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
05/27/2011 03:05 PMPosted by Confirm
how do you stumble upon something that shakes the ground when its near and takes up the entire screen o_O

I've watched the fel reavers from certain safe spots, and while they do a fair amount of stomping around, they will randomly glide very quickly along their path making almost no noise and then return to stomping.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
As a fresh lvl 85 player, you'll be joining a much larger population of players compared to the time leveling. Your performance and activities at higher levels often depend on fining your place within the population, getting to know like-minded individuals, and gaining a reputation among them. You should choose a guild of individuals you can get along with, with similar focuses on PVP, PVE, RP, or whatever facet of the game you fancy.

You should also spend time learning about your class. Your first leveling experience will only have taught you the basics of your class, introducing you to your spells and talents. The days of casually pressing buttons are over. Performing well at level cap is about fine-tuning your character to perform at your maximum potential. The wow community has spent countless hours researching each class in the game, providing you with a multitude of well developed resources at your disposal. You should use these resources to learn about gear stat preferences, talent choices and spell/ability priorities that may not be obvious without a vast base of anecdotal evidence and mathematical modeling.

Just as important as learning about your class is learning how to interface with it. You need to develop a good user interface to help you manage the multitude of spells and abilities at your disposal. In addition to enhancing your performance, a good UI should be comfortable on your wrists and hands. If it hurts, you're doing it wrong. No game is worth developing carpal tunnel over. Once again, the wow community is at your disposal, providing you with a vast array of examples and addons to enhance your game play.

Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Because raiding is one of the ultimate PvE goals, if you are going to focus on PvE, you should make sure to pick up quest gear from Twilight Highlands and Uldum.

Generally you can finish a zone in a few days or less and have a mostly full set of good gear. This is a lot less time than it would take to get PvP gear, jump straight into heroics, and inevitably fail because PvP gear alone simply doesn't have the stats to support good DPS.

While you are questing in these places, you also get some blue rarity gear along with reputation with factions in that area. You can buy some nice heroic equivilent or epic gear through their vendors with enough reputation.

A full set of quest gear from these places will be enough to do normals at 84-85, and a full set of normal gear will be enough for heroics.

Keep progressing like that, but make sure to go for quest gear first (Not PvP, if you can help it) then gear from normals before you start heroics.

On a side note, gear with Agility will be best for feral druids, enhancement shaman, all hunters, and all rogues.

Gear with Strength will help retribution paladins, frost and unholy death knights, and also fury and arms warriors.

Gear with Intellect will help Balance druids, all mages, all warlocks, elemental shaman, and shadow priests.

Stamina, dodge and parry are for tanks, and they should use gear with these. Spirit is a vital stat for all healers because it keeps your mana up to cast heals, but isn't as good for other classes.

Neither stat, unlike Agility, Strength and Intellect, will help dps (except spirit in some cases).

In general, do quests and make sure you know which class you're playing.
Edited by Jrueg on 5/27/2011 10:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
Once I've geared up a bit and made some money on whichever character is currently my main, I like to save up for heirloom gear and set aside some money for the various alts I'm leveling (I have about 3 of them right now). This can be pretty expensive/time-consuming, but I find it much better than the alternative of leveling a character 1-80 the old-fashioned way. Right now I have a hunter and paladin who both have +35% xp gain from heirlooms, and I'm beginning to work on getting some gear for my druid alt as well.

Once I gear up all of my current alts, I plan on leveling them all (while still completing dailies on my main for money/rep/tokens) and then starting over again. It can seem a little pointless since I just end up leveling a new character as soon as I finish gearing another up, but I find that continually leveling alts not only keeps me entertained and gives me something to do aside from sitting in the capital cities and waiting for queues, but as someone whose primary focus is PvP I find it very beneficial to gain an intimate understanding of every class' abilities and mechanics.

As for what happens when I have one of every class at 85 I'm not really sure. I'll probably just continue to gear them up and make more and more money until I can just pimp all of my toons out and get all the fancy gear and mounts that I possibly can.
Edited by Nielsen on 5/28/2011 2:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Have some fun with the auction house! A reasonable amount of startup gold is relatively easy to make through dailies or leftover story quests once you reach 85 - think up creative ways to use your professions to make a ton of gold!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]