Life at 85 - WoW Magazine

100 Worgen Warrior
You are awesome Bashiok... where do you find a name like that?! Nice picture also...
Reply Quote
86 Orc Death Knight
So you've reached the plateau, the Level 85 Achievement is fresh in your tab and you're ready to take on the world (of Warcraft), but where do you go from here?

The real question, my friend, should be where do you not go?

Push your skill and gear to the limit, stage one man attacks on cities of your enemy faction, hunt down elite monsters and see just what you can kill on your own.

Above all else, create contacts through your experiences. Many people get lost in the grind for glory and gear and quickly forget about the simple pleasures that can be gleamed from adventuring with a few friends outside of dungeon runs.

As a fresh 85, the world is your oyster, no place in Azeroth can be kept from you any further, revel in your new found freedom and blaze your own path through the World of Warcraft.
Edited by Grimful on 6/14/2011 7:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Death Knight
Congrats, you have reached level 85!

What now you wonder. I normally just do some misc. things for a while as a break from the grinding (collect mounts, level professions, do uncommon achievements, etc.). After this, I normally start gearing up by doing TB dailies, Randoms and using Tailoring, Blacksmithing, and Leatherworking. Then I start working on endgame content such as raids and high-tier heroics.

But whatever you decide to do have fun and Enjoy your new 85 :]
Edited by Deathjoe on 6/14/2011 12:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
When I hit 85 with a character, that means it's time to start leveling another character!
Reply Quote
You have reached level 85- what does this mean for you?
I've read the replies and it seems like you all want to farm gold, get awesome gear, learn your class, kick someone else's but.
Who's but is it behind someone's screen? And how much of your body is left in reality? That's what you should be asking. How much of a person are you?
I've seen so many nice people corrupted by the- how can I put it?- potential. You are so absorbed in your self-ambition, you don't care about your "lame, under geared" partner anymore. You worked hard for all your shiny tier sets; nobody can deny that, I hope nobody does.
PvPing is just great- I mean, that's why you queued for it right? What's not cool is a total obsession with winning. Speed hacks, TB griefing, just plain nastiness; all from your desire to win, all from your desire to ruin your enemy's BG. You might be Horde and Alliance in-game, but when you personally interfere with them like that, it becomes human to human.
Did you have a friend on your contacts that you added, never talked to again? Or did the two of you do more than just the average get-together, maybe several days of fun leveling? But, what is this fun you find in individually grinding hours of gear and gold? What is the game in that?
Or is your desire to totally outshine others turned you into a machine, grind, grind, and grind. You will gain your moment of sun at last, but is it worth the cloak of shadows you must wear? Even guilds are growing farther apart. That's what happened to my last one, and I knew all of them in real life.
And if you want to hate me for this post, I hope I didn't insult any of you. But if you will feel better for an ironic reply that will hurt my feelings, you have my sincere apologies for aggravating you. I hope it will make your day better.
What I'm saying is that when you're 85, don't surge forward impatiently. Check yourself, for the reality of things. Then you can continue to epic-ness in the sunshine of your friends and the knowledge you know yourself, not just your class, instead of farming in shadowy solitude.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Mage
Once I reached lvl 85 I began exploring the world which led me to places I'd never seen, also causing me to push my character to see just how far he could go including crossing the small expanse between the mainland and some of the islands ( was surprised to find that with the ultra fast flying I could make it ) as well as lvl my archeology ( which I never had time for when I was lvling ) and putting together a good pvp set for Battlegrounds and Arenas which I also never had time for. What I found was instead of heading into a drolldum of repeating the same ol stuff there were endless possibilities once I hit level 85 and I'm still discovering new experiences as well as new challenges. I'm even thinking about writing a short story on the exploits of my toon... something to read in a few years and remember all the fun I had bringing him to life. So use your imagination and enjoy !
Edited by Greyhorse on 6/15/2011 9:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Hunter
try doing dungeons and raids that you didn't do when you were lower i have already started.
get mounts get acheivs and possibly make new friends

You have reached level 85- what does this mean for you?
I've read the replies and it seems like you all want to farm gold, get awesome gear, learn your class, kick someone else's but.
Who's but is it behind someone's screen? And how much of your body is left in reality? That's what you should be asking. How much of a person are you?
I've seen so many nice people corrupted by the- how can I put it?- potential. You are so absorbed in your self-ambition, you don't care about your "lame, under geared" partner anymore. You worked hard for all your shiny tier sets; nobody can deny that, I hope nobody does.
PvPing is just great- I mean, that's why you queued for it right? What's not cool is a total obsession with winning. Speed hacks, TB griefing, just plain nastiness; all from your desire to win, all from your desire to ruin your enemy's BG. You might be Horde and Alliance in-game, but when you personally interfere with them like that, it becomes human to human.
Did you have a friend on your contacts that you added, never talked to again? Or did the two of you do more than just the average get-together, maybe several days of fun leveling? But, what is this fun you find in individually grinding hours of gear and gold? What is the game in that?
Or is your desire to totally outshine others turned you into a machine, grind, grind, and grind. You will gain your moment of sun at last, but is it worth the cloak of shadows you must wear? Even guilds are growing farther apart. That's what happened to my last one, and I knew all of them in real life.
And if you want to hate me for this post, I hope I didn't insult any of you. But if you will feel better for an ironic reply that will hurt my feelings, you have my sincere apologies for aggravating you. I hope it will make your day better.
What I'm saying is that when you're 85, don't surge forward impatiently. Check yourself, for the reality of things. Then you can continue to epic-ness in the sunshine of your friends and the knowledge you know yourself, not just your class, instead of farming in shadowy solitude.
i agree
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
LoD
Once i hit 85, since being my 3rd time to get cap...im not much of a fan for raiding so i did the next big thing....pvp. get your honor up....maybe get BoAs to start on another character...maybe a class/race you wanna try....that can help consume time...get your 85 gear up to pvp and be on top of the charts...get your proffesions up to help make money for a lower level alt..do stuff like that..its always fun. Thats just from personal experienece though
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
i belive and thank just not me but averone that its time to take a fight to diffirt planets
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
ones i hit 85 im going to the moon ;)
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Rogue
Once you hit 85, there is a whole new kind of powering up to do. Gearing up is your new leveling up. The difference between an ungeared level 85 character and a geared level 85 character is substantial.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
There should be houses and guild halls in the game. That would be awesome for something to work towards and progress in. There could be a construction profession as well to build the items!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Raiding Tip: If the boss put it down don't hang around
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Priest
Once you reach level 85 is when the real game starts! You can work to earn achievements, such as collecting awesome mounts, cute little companions, or even collect money through the auction house, farming, professions, or dungeons. You can challenge yourself to optimize your battle skills and go on epic journeys through dungeons and raids, collecting new, more powerful gear along the way! You could partake in player versus player battles, and prove your power over everybody else! Or you could just start anew by creating a new character and taking on a brand new role as you press on through the journey to the top!
Edited by Jacklynn on 6/18/2011 6:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Don't do what I did. When I had my first 80 way back in mid-Wrath, I used all my badges to buy heirloom gear, instead of gearing up my main character. My level 10 alts had fantastic gear that would grow with them, but my main was stuck in leveling gear. My first few heroics were ugly, and I was booted from my random groups a lot. It took a couple of weeks to hoard enough badges to get my first piece of T9 gear, and only then did things start looking up.

If you have your sights on endgame PvE content, and you know you're an altoholic, focus on gearing up your main character first.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Life begins at 85....
everything up till then is just a warm-up.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Lol walk around ganking low level alliance/hordes for doing the same thing to you when you were trying to quest...
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
First thing you have to do with any character you have just gotten to max level, any max level, is figure out how to keep having fun with it. That's an overwhelming task if we're talking about your first 85, because believe it or not, there is more content available to you at max level than below max level.

There's achievements, dungeons, raids, quests, and gearing as the traditional sources of things to do. But think out of the box too, especially since some achievments have some crazy requirements. Collections are a lot of fun, and expensive. But being at level, the gold you can aquire is tremendous! There's mounts, pets, flavor items, old gear like legendaries and sets, and of course, you can collect gold too.

If you take nothing else from this, then remember this; the best thing you can do other than have fun, is find a guild of people wyou like and can learn from, because most of the content requires groups, and even if it didn't, most of what you could learn about the game, including your class, comes from players who have been doing it for months or years. This is so important if you intend to do dungeons and raids. Ya you will find trolls too, but finding the best way to dps, heal, or tank, will make your group happy and you as well. (i have almost seven 85s, and trust me, you never get tired of critting a mob for 60k because you pimped out your pally and now you know how to Templar's Virdict at the right time for massive amounts).

Whatever you do, do not get discouraged. Like life, you will find someone to be little you. Do not let it get you down, do not flame him back, think about what was said. You might be able to play better and you do not realize it. You might also have done everything correct. Either way, remember that the internet, and Warcraft, have plentiful amounts of ignorant, annoying, and negative people, so do not add to that community! If for no other reason, i know those people do not enjoy the game like the people who learn their stuff, meet other people with kindness, and generally just have a positive outlook on any encounter, boss or person.

P.S. Stay out of stuff on the ground. 90% of it will kill you. Always click the light well.
Edited by Gallron on 6/20/2011 6:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]