Alterac Valley - WoW Magazine

Community Manager
Tell us how you win Alterac Valley! World of Warcraft Official Magazine is looking for player tips and tricks for achieving a victory.

If chosen your name and text could appear in a future issue of the Official World of Warcraft Magazine.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Mage
Zerg Boss, Ignore everything/everyone else. Owait how to win AV.
Reply Quote
70 Undead Rogue
Cap a gy to cause a turtle. Duke it out in the field of strife and see what the outcome is
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Kill Korrak.
Reply Quote
81 Human Hunter
This is gonna be fun.............BRING BACK OLD SCHOOL AV

on your pvp Q&A it was the third most voted on question and y'all pretty much evaded it

QQ aside

How to win Today's abomination of AV

Back capping is essential 9 times out of 10 they cant kill your base boss with two bunkers or towers up, most of the time the opposing team wont leave a sufficient defense to defend them if you have a dedicated group recapping, defense wins games not blind zerging.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
If I choose to play offensively, I typically head straight to the Frostwolf Relief Hut to not only get the timer started but also minimize the risk of a turtle (For anyone unfamiliar with this term, this essentially means the other team defending to the point where they lack any real offense). In most cases two or three other people came down with me or arrive shortly after I do, so I like to whisper them and ask them if they will watch the East and West towers for me while I take care of the relief hut flag. The rest of the team will kill Galvangar and take care of Iceblood Tower and Tower Point, or recap our own bunkers. It isn't such a big deal if only three towers are destroyed because the other team's general is still very killable even with one tower up.

If I play defensively, I spend most of the game trying to take towers back. The goal is to keep my team ahead of the other team on tower timers, as this will put them at a severe disadvantage. Although it is possible to kill the other team's general with two towers up, and I've seen it done, for the most part it will never happen and is very difficult. After I've recapped a bunker, I head straight to another. I only have to reset the timer, not remain to defend it when there are other bunkers that are also at risk of being destroyed. Depending on what graveyard I will spawn at, getting myself killed can be an effective way of getting back to the North/South bunkers quickly. I find this is a safer method than using my Stormpike Insignia trinket because that often teleports me right into the middle of dozens of horde. I also place a Ring of Frost at the bottom of the tower from the top floor to prevent horde from entering while I'm recapping the bunker's flag.

Although I am certainly not the best, I hope this helps people who are new to the battleground. Good luck and remember that communication is key!
Edited by Kaoin on 6/2/2011 7:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Mathematically.
Whichever side is ahead (time wise) waiting for towers to cap will start on Van / Drek first. So if I see alliance cap East and West before horde caps North and South, I know that the only way to win is to recap one of their towers to put them behind us.

Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Pay blizzard 25 USD for faction transfer for each character you have from horde to allaince. That is the only way to win AV for horde. I personally dont have 250 bucks to take all my 85's to ally, so I canceled my account. The horde BG loss vs win ratio is to unbalanced.

For alliance, just keep on doing what you have been doing for 4.5 years. Zerg Drek.

Until vanilla AV is brought back with all the lieuts and generals, the map will be zerg. And a zerg strat favors allaince.

Basically this. Just the fact that this might even be a topic in the magazine is very depressing. At least talk about a battleground that gives equal chances on both sides.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I Start off by poping hero to make sure there is no way we kill the horde defending glav then cap the FWGY to ensure atleast a 45-50 min turtle.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Druid
If there is a stand still, make sure to get mines (both Irondeep and Coldtooth) and defend them. Defending it with more people will make it a lot easier to win stalemates (of course, don't have your entire team in there).
Reply Quote
70 Undead Mage
Roll alliance.

JK, defend the towers you take, which horde never does. They prefer standing at Van looking at him, pulling him over and over, as the alliance retake everything we turned.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Pay blizzard 25 USD for faction transfer for each character you have from horde to allaince. That is the only way to win AV for horde. I personally dont have 250 bucks to take all my 85's to ally, so I canceled my account. The horde BG loss vs win ratio is to unbalanced.

For alliance, just keep on doing what you have been doing for 4.5 years. Zerg Drek.

Until vanilla AV is brought back with all the lieuts and generals, the map will be zerg. And a zerg strat favors allaince.

Most of my characters have an above 50% win ratio in AV as horde.
This toon:
AV battles 295
AV wins 190

edit: and your win % in AV is way above 50% as horde... lol

Edited by Orango on 6/2/2011 7:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Cap towers, backcap, kill people gain resources Oh you mean new Alterac valley... Zerg boss and hope that the other team doesn't succeed in their zerg.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Don't expect the game to be the same if you change from an alliance point of view, to a horde point of view. Each faction plays the game differently in order to win.

For example, horde tend to try and defend Galv, but as an alliance, you never try and defend Bal, it just doesn't work.

If all else fails, just focus on capping towers until you get the hang of it. Towers = honor AND reinforcements.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]