Alterac Valley - WoW Magazine

82 Blood Elf Paladin
1. Know what you're doing. Snide? Nah. AV is a big map, you need to know how it works.

2. Have fun!

Actually, reverse those. Having fun should be your number one priority, and honestly, is the only Real victory you can have in AV. aka, it's the actual victory. aka, it's the victorious persons victory.

Example: I recently discovered how much more enjoyable and calming BG's are when I don't have to ignore someone who can't believe they aren't gods each match! Now I just go to my "blank" chat tab, and I don't have to hear from anyone at all. VICTORY!
Reply Quote
60 Undead Warrior
The old and FUN way was originally to hold off the opposing force, gather enough resources to either upgrade graveyard defenders and deploy wind riders or cavalry to tip the scale of battle in your favour.

A last ditch defense effort would be to spawn the druid or shaman elites to bolster your defense and push back the opposing team. This can also help by allowing you to summon a Boss Mob to turn the tide of battle, this didnt mean decisive victory but made one hell of a fun fight.

Unfortunately now with the tickets, drastically reducing the time of the game and making it nigh impossible to summon or upgrade troops, this BG is a shadow of its former self. Currently the most popular strategy now is to simply run, run...keep running and hope that one of the 40 people on your team will go back to back cap.

In reference to the fourth word of my post, the current way to win AV is to not have fun, just run and try to kill the end guy first.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Zerg Zerg Zerg!

Did I mention zerging is a great strat?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Malcho, you've always been terrible at pvp. plz dont comment on strategy.

That would be great if pvp had character collision, but it does not. The choke points have far less value in this day, especially since the archers hit for less.

Unless the archers are immortal, this will only become more of a zerg as item levels rise.

Malcho, above statement just further proves why you should stay out of anything that is about strategy in pvp. You've never been good at it, all the way back to TBC.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
Since blues will actually be reading this id like to say bring back an old version of AV. Reinforcements make 90% of the BG mechanics useless.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Too many people are talking about "battlegroups". THERE AREN'T ANY MORE BATTLEGROUPS people. We all play together now.

I have played thousands of AV's across many characters. I usually play with 1 friend. We both have over a 50% win ratio as horde. (I am willing to bet the same goes for our alliance toons too)

As horde, you need to cap North and South before they cap East and West. If you cannot do that then you need to recap. PERIOD. The math is there for you. Whoever downs the towers first starts on Van/Drek first. Horde wins more often when they get an early cap on North and South.

Horde failings: Never enough guarding SHB or IWB. No one running North to cap those towers.
Alliance failings: Too many people mound sitting outside of Drek while we recap East and West.

Both of those can be done with 1 person. Rogue/druid sneaks up and recaps are easiest. 1 person can swing the game with a cap or recap.

On my non-sneakies I play 'bait'. I recall in to our base and create a diversion while my friend recaps.

Both sides have an unnatural obsession with Galv and Balinda. Downing them drops the opposing team by 100 reinforcements. It also awards XP in lower brackets etc. But if the game is not a turtle.. they are not strategic.

The problem is that new players or less experienced players only look at reinforcements and get demoralized if their number is lower. Or maybe worse, they feel overly cocky even though the opposing team is about to cap 2 towers which will drop reinforcements by 75 per tower.

Also: Mines are only helpful for turtles. They do not award XP or honor. They just increase your reinforcements by 1 every 45 seconds.

It is impossible to get everyone on the same page but there are usually 2-4 people (BOTH SIDES) that know this and those are the people you run into which make the game fun.

Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Tell us how you win Alterac Valley! World of Warcraft Official Magazine is looking for player tips and tricks for achieving a victory.

If chosen your name and text could appear in a future issue of the Official World of Warcraft Magazine.

Winning? Who cares? Generaly speaking I run around the field of strife 90% of the time looking for a fight. Why? In hopes that me not being of offense might lead to a turtle. I don't care one way or the other who wins anymore I just want turtles when I go in so I might actualy be able to fight another player. I'd say 80% of AV's are over in 10 mins and required little to no PvP. It's not fun, there is no player interaction unless you count 30 people crying about how someone capped IBGY interaction. And on top of it you rarely have to fight the opposing team to become "vitorious".

Fun AV's were anywhere from 2 hours to 3 days long, those have long gone. I haven't seen druids summoned since BC. The entire point of the battle ground has been lost. There is no real victory in AV anymore, just a race to see who can get the most honor so they can get thier next upgrade faster. Or if it's late at night, a race to see which team has the least amount of botters haning out in thier starting area.

There is no "Victory" in AV.
Edited by Rixii on 6/3/2011 3:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
How do we win AV?

Skill and aggression.
Reply Quote
I take myself plus one healer to Snowfall Graveyard and cap it, then guard it until we have RH.

I know, I can hear the groans already.

Here's the thing, at least in the Reckoning battlegroup - when 9/10 times the strategy is to zerg Galv, towers, and then Drek, people tend to blindly rush in and wipe the entire team, usually at Galv or TP. What happens? The dreaded turtle, which no one likes.

SFGY is the antidote to that. IBGY is better, but harder to defend, as it's right in line with the rushing Horde offensive. Everyone has to go a little out of the way for SFGY, which provides turtle immunity after it caps. If you wipe from SH onward, you rez at SFGY, and you can push forward.

Does this "win" Alterac Valley? More often than not, yes, because AV is as much about resurrection vectors as it is about objectives. Cynwise has a phenomenal, MUST read post about this:

http://cynwise.wordpress.com/2010/03/29/graveyard-control-in-alterac-valley/

Cynwise actually advocates against holding SFGY as it's a hindrance once you're past TP, but honestly, in my experience, in my battlegroup, it's rarely been that because the other side is equally unskilled about strategy.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I used to run some pretty Epic premades in Av. We had a 96% win ratio. Every now and then our counterpart, guild name SCORN, would come and give us a few headaches.

First thing i would call out is everyone needs ALL buffs. We would then put a feast on top of the lighpost a little back from the gates. Once everyone was buffed. I would asked for volunteers for a recall team (between 5-7). The recall team would equip their AV trinkets so they can recall and delay the horde big push. Usally these people are vets and very geared. The following Macro would then be posted:

/bg Group 1-2 Kill Galv -> East/West Towers + Choke Point & RH
/bg Group 3-4 Kill Galv -> Backcap SHB & IWB
/bg Group 5-6 IBT -> Burn it -> Backcap SHB
/bg Group 7-8 TP -> Burn it -> South to Drek
/bg ALL ROGUES & DRUIDS Straight To Drek!!

The battle is very fluid and is always changing depending on what the horde is doing or not doing. Once either North or South Tower gets capped, the call is put out for recall. The recall team will delay the horde long enough for the alliance to mop up in the south.

We overload the towers because they are the key to Victory. Thats why about 10 alliance are in each tower. However, once Galv is dead, and Stonehearth Bunker is tapped, its very important to dispatch your backcap crew. Usually the horde leave only 2 or 3 people in a bunker, so a full force or 10 alliance can brush them aside very easily (group 3-4). All rogues and Druids are to stealth (ignoring Galv) to the south where they start capping the relief hut and east and west towers. They do everything in their power to protect that area. Once each tower burns, the crew moves south untill all but the recall team, and back cap crew are ready to take down the horde general. All in is called, and we get easy honor.
Edited by Sabers on 6/3/2011 4:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Paradoxically, the only way to "win" at AV is not to enter it.
Reply Quote
25 Gnome Warlock
Make an alliance toon.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
I used to run some pretty Epic premades in Av. We had a 96% win ratio. Every now and then our counterpart, guild name SCORN, would come and give us a few headaches.

First thing i would call out is everyone needs ALL buffs. We would then put a feast on top of the lighpost a little back from the gates. Once everyone was buffed. I would asked for volunteers for a recall team (between 5-7). The recall team would equip their AV trinkets so they can recall and delay the horde big push. Usally these people are vets and very geared. The following Macro would then be posted:

/bg Group 1-2 Kill Galv -> East/West Towers + Choke Point & RH
/bg Group 3-4 Kill Galv -> Backcap SHB & IWB
/bg Group 5-6 IBT -> Burn it -> Backcap SHB
/bg Group 7-8 TP -> Burn it -> South to Drek
/bg ALL ROGUES & DRUIDS Straight To Drek!!

The battle is very fluid and is always changing depending on what the horde is doing or not doing. Once either North or South Tower gets capped, the call is put out for recall. The recall team will delay the horde long enough for the alliance to mop up in the south.

We overload the towers because they are the key to Victory. Thats why about 10 alliance are in each tower. However, once Galv is dead, and Stonehearth Bunker is tapped, its very important to dispatch your backcap crew. Usually the horde leave only 2 or 3 people in a bunker, so a full force or 10 alliance can brush them aside very easily (group 3-4). All rogues and Druids are to stealth (ignoring Galv) to the south where they start capping the relief hut and east and west towers. They do everything in their power to protect that area. Once each tower burns, the crew moves south untill all but the recall team, and back cap crew are ready to take down the horde general. All in is called, and we get easy honor.

I love AV.

That's a very good strategy, I believe rogues are the best for recall. Because most of the time I can ninja the capped towers up north, but if it's a bad alliance group it won't help no matter what you do. If it's a turtle, I go up to the south mine and defend the cap because if you cap towers you're going to get heavily zerged during a turtle.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Force the alliance into a confrontation. If you attempt to counter-zerg, you will lost 90% of the time. The 10% of the time is whenever they wipe because an annoying amount of warlocks/priests fear bomb their healers during their attempt.

AV is a broken jumble of unfun feces. Classic AV took skill. This is a PvE race with an alliance bias. I wouldn't care if it had a horde bias; it'd still be boring.
Reply Quote
Winning? Who cares? Generaly speaking I run around the field of strife 90% of the time looking for a fight. Why? In hopes that me not being of offense might lead to a turtle. I don't care one way or the other who wins anymore I just want turtles when I go in so I might actualy be able to fight another player. I'd say 80% of AV's are over in 10 mins and required little to no PvP. It's not fun, there is no player interaction unless you count 30 people crying about how someone capped IBGY interaction. And on top of it you rarely have to fight the opposing team to become "vitorious".

Fun AV's were anywhere from 2 hours to 3 days long, those have long gone. I haven't seen druids summoned since BC. The entire point of the battle ground has been lost. There is no real victory in AV anymore, just a race to see who can get the most honor so they can get thier next upgrade faster. Or if it's late at night, a race to see which team has the least amount of botters haning out in thier starting area.

There is no "Victory" in AV.

Basically what this guy said. It's very sad... As well as stated in earlier posts; AV is a mere shadow of its former being... Stated earlier: Since you guys are going to hopefully read these, or most of them - granted your purpose is to get actual answers - please drop reinforcements.

It isn't 'Alterac Valley' anymore. There is rarely ever actually any PvP involved. At all. It's all just defend the towers and kill your opposing faction's NPCs. Those of us who are saying 'OOH AV SUCKS CHANGE IT BACK' like among other things, it isn't because "it's how it used to be, back in the glory days..." it's literally because it was just flat out better. It was actual PvP and it was a tough battleground; it was FUN! That's the main thing you guys want for us, right? The fun of it? AV was that infamous battleground that you joined expecting an epic battle in the field of strife with Korrak, or a Snowfall turtle defense - or whatever.

I think the big part that irks myself and as well as a lot of other players, is that because it isn't PvP anymore, just defend/attack towers and kill opposing NPCs, is that it's just an honor grind. Nothing more than simply to get some honor to get some new piece of shiny loot or however one tends to spend their honor points - that's it. I mean, what's the 'fun' in that? Buying that piece of gear? I always thought the main portion of the amusement came from the adventure to GET the item, not simply the obtainment of said item. Somehow that doesn't seem to make sense.

It's just a plea from a very large portion, at least to my belief, of your playerbase that you drop the Reinforcements deal and bring back all the patrolling NPC's and such. Make it difficult and fun again. I can almost guarentee it would be one of the better decisions ever made... I don't mean this to be something that's entirely blamed on you guys, being the devs and such (well, for here probably just the forum moderators >_>). I just want to once again PvP in a large scale battleground.

Thanks for reading this annoying wall of text, and I apologize. I hope others will agree and I hope, some day, that it will be at least be acknowledged and we will be given some type of answer as to your plans about this BG. =/
Edited by Bückdich on 6/3/2011 6:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Here's a not often used strategy that worked amazing for one AV in during Wrath. I see many people talking about how great it would be if the Ice Lord or Ivus were summoned more often, but I've learned from experience that the real powerhouse NPCs of Alterac Valley are the Wolf and Ram Riders.

Here's how the strategy played out for myself and a group of guildies that were deadset on getting these guys summoned.

First we convinced the rest of the horde to turtle up at Ice Blood Graveyard. While this initial turtle was taking place, two of my guildies snuck into the Alliance territory and started killing rams to collect the 25 required ram hides.

Once the turtle was established, three of us began collecting wolves.* When the two up above were finished collecting ram hides they helped us finish up on wolves.

Now the key to this strategy, which we happened upon accidentally (because by this point the Horde was losing by about 150 reinforcements) is to keep turtling, but concede Ice Blood Graveyard to the Alliance and let them fully cap it before you unleash the Wolf Riders. You also want them to have Snowfall Graveyard.

This is because the path that the Wolf Riders take past Ice Blood and Snowfall is a very bloody path.

We let the Wolf Riders go as the Alliance were pushing into Tower Point. This was a team that had been slowly but surely pushing our Horde team back, but with the help of the wolf riders in under 2 minutes we wiped their entire team 3 times and retook Ice Blood.

This forced the Alliance to rez at Snowfall, who poured down the hill as our Riders moved forward with the AOE train. We wiped the Alliance effortlessly at least 3 more times before now taking Snowfall Graveyard.

How do I know how many times we wiped them? Because we went from being down 150 reinforcements to leading by about 100 reinforcements in a span of about 5 minutes. Needless to say we won that match after that ridiculous comeback. The riders actually carried us all the way to the keep and we successfully capped towers on the way, which finished the match when they turned.

But the key points to make this strategy successful are:

1. Full team turtle at Ice Blood GY;
2. Give up Snow Fall GY to the Alliance;
2. Send 2 or 3 people to kill rams right from the start. You don't need any more than that;
3. Have at minimum 3 people collecting Wolves, with the ram hide collectors helping out near the end;
4. Give up IBGY to the Alliance and wait for them to be able to rez there;
5. Once the Alliance are rezzing at IBGY and pushing Tower Point, summon the riders;
6. Support the riders with AOE and snares and cackle maniacally at the slaughter.

*FYI to Blizzard there's a bug in the game where every so often, when the player turns in a captured wolf to the NPC, the wolf continues to follow the player and a new wolf cannot be collected until the player is killed, which is a tremendous waste of time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]