Alterac Valley - WoW Magazine

90 Human Rogue
Listen up, young'uns, here are some tips for winning in Alterac Valley.

1) When you call your ram or wolf riders, *then* is the time to pop your shredders. You want the most force behind your pushes, all at once. Summon Ivus or Lok'holar to keep your enemies distracted. Only after they have drained the enemy forces should you push ahead with your Ram/Wolves and summon the shredders.

2) Don't get Captain Ryson's All Seeing Eye unless you know what you're going to do with your track humanoids buff. Get it with a purpose. A 5 man group with this buff is much better prepared to take on a tower/bunker than one without, so don't waste time if you don't have a plan.

3) Minefields - use these to LOS melee, in a sense.

4) Don't spend *too* much time picking the icecap and mining thorium, but if you have some spare time while guarding a node, it's a decent way to get your repair costs covered.

5) Harpies in the caves are great spots to farm runecloth. Again, don't spend too much time there, but every once in a while it's a nice break to help you level your first aid.

6) Snowballs and The Unstoppable Force. Both of these are great for knockbacks. You can use snowballs to knock back afk'ers out of your tunnel entrance. The Unstoppable force, for those who have exalted rep in AV, is great for knocking your enemies off the bridge near Dun Baldur. The 30 seconds it will take for your enemies to run back up the hill is as good as killing them.

7) Kite Korrak to your guards. Your team's guards are there to help you, so let them. A single warlock is enough to kite the blood rager, so let him work for his raid spot so you can claim the most strategic graveyard - snowfall.

I hope this is a very helpful list and finds its way into the WoW magazine so that new players can start learning these important strategies.
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Warrior
There's not really any one strategy or surefire way to win in Alterac Valley. I have found a couple of things can really help though:

1. Keep an eye on the map. Using the overlay map (SHIFT-M) or the regular map (M) to see the big picture. It will give a clear idea of what objectives should be next. It tells you where your teammates are, what may need defending, what could possibly be weak for attack. You may even spot an opportunity to really win a coup against the enemy team.

2. Graveyards can sometimes be as (or more) important than towers. Defending graveyards nearby contested towers can boost your team in many ways. Attackers at the front lines can resurrect here and boost defensive forces before moving on again. Enemy teammates must resurrect even further back. Enemies often do not bother defending a contested graveyard, so it may be possible to simply run up and recapture the point for your team. Be warned though, causing enemies to resurrect further into their own lines can hamper your own team's offense. Again, be sure to look at the map and make the best decision!

3. Sometimes both teams are good at defending their towers from being captured. If you find yourself in a "defense heavy" Alterac Valley, make an effort to (either yourself or your teammates) capture the mines. These defensive games tend to last a long time and can come down to simple attrition. One team controlling both mines makes an enormous difference.

4. If you are fully exalted with either the Frostwolves or the Stormpike Guard, be sure to pick up that faction's reward trinket. It will allow you to instantly return back to the center of the main base for your faction in Alterac Valley. This especially handy for switching to defense if you are far away on offense.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
06/03/2011 11:44 AMPosted by Megabad
yes I was MR LNE

I don't know you dude. For all I know you used Warcraftrealms history page to look my guild history up. Also, I have been PvPing since AQ and never did pvp with that guild, unless you're a certain person and I only have to say it's a real shame you're trying to drag my name into the mud when you ninja quit 2vs2 arena teams at night. I am pretty well aware of strategy especially in AV. After you gear up enough, the archers do not matter. When I was merely in S2 I could ride around the damn towers and get pelted for minutes without dying.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid

1) When you call your ram or wolf riders, *then* is the time to pop your shredders. You want the most force behind your pushes, all at once. Summon Ivus or Lok'holar to keep your enemies distracted. Only after they have drained the enemy forces should you push ahead with your Ram/Wolves and summon the shredders.

2) Don't get Captain Ryson's All Seeing Eye unless you know what you're going to do with your track humanoids buff. Get it with a purpose. A 5 man group with this buff is much better prepared to take on a tower/bunker than one without, so don't waste time if you don't have a plan.

4) Don't spend *too* much time picking the icecap and mining thorium, but if you have some spare time while guarding a node, it's a decent way to get your repair costs covered.

5) Harpies in the caves are great spots to farm runecloth. Again, don't spend too much time there, but every once in a while it's a nice break to help you level your first aid.

6) Snowballs and The Unstoppable Force. Both of these are great for knockbacks. You can use snowballs to knock back afk'ers out of your tunnel entrance. The Unstoppable force, for those who have exalted rep in AV, is great for knocking your enemies off the bridge near Dun Baldur. The 30 seconds it will take for your enemies to run back up the hill is as good as killing them.

7) Kite Korrak to your guards. Your team's guards are there to help you, so let them. A single warlock is enough to kite the blood rager, so let him work for his raid spot so you can claim the most strategic graveyard - snowfall.

I hope this is a very helpful list and finds its way into the WoW magazine so that new players can start learning these important strategies.

This.
Reply Quote
Just listen to BG chat, when someone says not to do something that's usually exactly what you need to do. Going for the quick win in Alterac Valley is the surest way to lose. It is one of the longer BGs and it, in turn, generally rewards more honor and experience.

In my experience Horde usually win by playing heavy defense and alliance usually win by playing heavy offense. I haven't seen alliance win an AV by defending since before the Burning Crusade.

As horde, if you want to piss of all of the alliance transfers, capture snow fall graveyard. It forces the alliance forces that die to spawn back ahead of the horde push. It usually results in a win because it splits the alliance offense up into pieces. If the horde is coming behind the alliance push and recapturing the towers and graveyards the alliance offense will be so small that it will not be able to win. To speed up the process the horde usually lets the alliance pass through after some of the towers have been secured.

As alliance it is mandatory to keep one of the graveyards behind the horde push up and make sure that the horde cannot recapture their towers. Galv is not necessary and its probably a better idea to capture snowfall graveyard and iceblood graveyard until the frostwolf relief hut can be taken. Don't attack Drek until at least two towers are burning.

Of course all of this is based off of my experiences with my different characters and I don't play alliance much these days.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
DGALV.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
06/03/2011 01:08 PMPosted by Malcho
yes I was MR LNE

I don't know you dude. For all I know you used Warcraftrealms history page to look my guild history up. Also, I have been PvPing since AQ and never did pvp with that guild, unless you're a certain person and I only have to say it's a real shame you're trying to drag my name into the mud when you ninja quit 2vs2 arena teams at night. I am pretty well aware of strategy especially in AV. After you gear up enough, the archers do not matter. When I was merely in S2 I could ride around the damn towers and get pelted for minutes without dying.

Sir, I was one of the original core members of LNE. I also got my warlord tag while there, as a leader of those bg's. This hunter is no longer my main, but rest assured, I know what I'm talking about.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Is this some retarded joke ??

A) The 3rd most asked question int he Q*A was asking why did you guys break AV into the zerg PVE race that it is now....

B) The most popular topic in the BG forums here is "Fix AV" (U know.. make it fun again.. make it unique with all the stuff in it)

Now they are asking this for their mag ??

wow.. just.. wow
Edited by Mðx on 6/3/2011 6:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman

lol A+

*sniff* ... remembers the good times
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Alterac Vally is one one of my favorite battlegrounds but, it only has 2 (viable, in my opinion) strategies Turtle or Zerg. I remember AV back in the day, it was truly a real battle. I like the concept of reinforcements it means are some point the battle will end, which is a good things considering how long battle lasted in the past. Some battles could (and did) go on for days. A good number of NPCs were removed to make it more player on player, but now days a good rogue can sneak in and cap a tower/bunker solo and the NPC are just a minor annoyance.

Here are a few suggestion that (I think) might make Alter Vally a more interesting and challenging battleground (heck they may give you ideas for other BGs).

Bunker Kill Order
One Idea I have to eliminate the zerg strategy have the bunkers deploy NPC defender long the route to the next bunker. So in order to move on the the next bunker you need to capture and destroy before you can move on. A good way of doing this would to have the NPC that are defending the area lose some buff that the bunker provides making it possible for them to be more easily dealt with.

More NPCs
Where fighting this battle with the Dwarfs or Orcs not for them. I'm fine with leaving the attacking to the players. But the NPCs Need to playey a large part in the defense. Bunkers should be have more guards. Guards that can detect stealth units (just like city guards but not as powerful). A single player should not be able to waltz in and take a bunker/tower singlehandedly. NPCs should also announce that their bunker is under attack before its captured so players can respond and help defend. At key choke points you expect to see NPCs defending those points to slow players down. You also expect there to be guards defending the forward commander. And you expect to see Orcs and Dwarfs NPCs duking it out in the center of the map (it is a battle after all). Not saying the NPCs should fight the battle just be a large part of it.

These are just a few ideas I have that could make Alterac Vally (and other battleground) more enjoyable.
Edited by Terresta on 6/3/2011 9:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Step 1: Buffz

Step 2: Get Bal

Step 4: Get Vann.

Simple and easy :)
Reply Quote
I think it's cute that alliance people are responding with these well written/thought out strategies when they don't really need them. Its like Brock Lesnar explaining in detail how he beat a middleweight puncher. :P
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Warrior
06/04/2011 08:57 PMPosted by Jak
I think it's cute that alliance people are responding with these well written/thought out strategies when they don't really need them. Its like Brock Lesnar explaining in detail how he beat a middleweight puncher. :P

I think some of the horde deficiencies come from perceptions about what has to be captured and what has to be held. I played AV pretty extensively horde side too. There are a number of disadvantages:

1. Bunkers take longer to clear because of the numbers of archers that must be killed.
2. Snowfall graveyard is generally looked down upon as "Snowfail." I do not think this is so at all. It tends to lead to longer games when the horde takes it because the alliance gets pushed back, but I think Horde tends to fair better in longer games, and it provides a good safety net if IBGY and the SHGY are taken.
3. Horde seldom take advantage of the fact that most of the fighting between Stonehearth and Stormpike GY can be bypassed. Most players are content to 18th century battle-line it.
4. The Frostwolf aid station is much more exposed and harder to ninja than the Stormpike Relief Hut. It has the advantage of once it's taken, it is harder to ninja back than Stormpike. Even baddies tend to notice.

That's not a lot of advice there for horde. Honestly, I always capped Snowfall and my teammates hated me for it. But we won those games. So you tell me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]