BG target addon?

100 Human Paladin
Is there an addon that will make my target in a BG more obvious? I don't know if it's because I'm an "older" player (eyesight and all that), but when I'm in a crowd and everybody's running around in circles, I'm completely losing track of the enemy player I have targeted. It seems a large part of the problem is when a DK drops D&D, a mage casts Flamestrike, or a hunter uses one of his fire traps, the red ground effects render the red targeting circle completely invisible to me and I lose track of where my target went.

So what I'm looking for is an addon that will "highlight" my target with something other than a circle on the ground. Is there any such addon?
Reply Quote
19 Blood Elf Priest
No addon advice, but I find that enabling the enemy health bar helps. Press your V key and a red health bar will show over the enemy player's head. Makes it very easy to see who is low on health.
Reply Quote
71 Dwarf Hunter
I'm also of the older set but not quite to where you are yet, though occationally in mass mess I also lose track of where my target went on my rogue. However, in a recent patch, if you check your miinimap they've put this nice little yellow star type thing around your current target. The yellow parts will cover up any other spots from other players (enemies or friendlies, though not your own if it's a rogue up your butt). Perhaps that can help, too.

Good luck. Yay for us old(er) folks playing! Need moar imo! XD
Reply Quote
70 Blood Elf Hunter
06/06/2011 04:30 AMPosted by Phe
No addon advice, but I find that enabling the enemy health bar helps. Press your V key and a red health bar will show over the enemy player's head. Makes it very easy to see who is low on health.

I started doing this and it improved my tracking a lot. However, when snake trap, totems or pets are summoned, it still makes it hard to keep track of the opponent. Is there a way to disable the health bars of snakes, pets and totems ?
Reply Quote
42 Worgen Warrior
06/06/2011 07:21 AMPosted by Amoré

I started doing this and it improved my tracking a lot. However, when snake trap, totems or pets are summoned, it still makes it hard to keep track of the opponent. Is there a way to disable the health bars of snakes, pets and totems ?

If you go into Interface > Names at the bottom of that page you can change around what nameplates you see. You can un-check pets, guardians (like Shaman' elementals), and totems to reduce that clutter.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
click faster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuEyq8-tpa0
Reply Quote
89 Undead Mage
If you go into Interface > Names at the bottom of that page you can change around what nameplates you see. You can un-check pets, guardians (like Shaman' elementals), and totems to reduce that clutter.

I didn't know this! Thanks for the great information. This will help a lot when I'm healing on my priest. I've been just avoiding friendly shamans all together because of their totem name plate spam! lol
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I already have enemy nameplates turned on, and I use TidyPlates. I looked into my TidyPlates settings trying to find a way to make my target more obvious, but I guess I wasn't seeing it, or the tooltips aren't explanatory enough. I'll look again, and maybe see if the addon's Curse.com page has clearer instructions. Turning *off* pet and totem nameplates will help, too.

I'd also love to find a way to make tab-targeting ignore pets. I swear every Horde team I see in BGs these days is a mass of hunters and frost mages (and the occasional DK), and when I hit TAB to select the nearest target all I get is *Spider* *Spider* *Water Elemental* *Spider* *Ghoul* *Spider*... (I have to tab-target when there are a lot of enemies nearby, as I just can't click on the nameplates fast enough when they're zipping all over the screen.)
Reply Quote
19 Blood Elf Paladin
Spy is also a good one, it pulls up a click-able grid of people around you, even stealthies that are semi-visible because they are close.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
About a month ago I was searching for the same thing

Try the addon nameplateadvance

I am able to put a red arrow above my target and it will also draw a trail of green arrows to your target.

There are so many options to this addon that it took me about 3 weeks to tweak it for my play style. So don't let all the options scare you away, it seems really complicated at first.

Here's the link
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/nameplateadvance.aspx
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
@ Sindyr - I tried Spy last night, but it's clear I need to tweak the settings. The first BG I got into after installing it was WSG, as as soon as the two sides got near each other in the middle at the start of the match, it pretty much just became a list of everybody on the other side ;p

@ Vlox - that sounds like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! I'll check it out :)
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
@ Sindyr - I tried Spy last night, but it's clear I need to tweak the settings. The first BG I got into after installing it was WSG, as as soon as the two sides got near each other in the middle at the start of the match, it pretty much just became a list of everybody on the other side ;p

@ Vlox - that sounds like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! I'll check it out :)

The other ones I had found were Auto Marker and AutoMark, but they are probably out of date.
Reply Quote
39 Undead Rogue
try lowering Particle Density in your Graphics Settings
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
change your tab to "target nearest enemy player" in the keybindings to ignore pets/totems.
Edited by Spacepickles on 1/19/2012 2:39 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]