World IPv6 Day

(Locked)

Community Manager
Wednesday, June 8, is World IPv6 Day, a day when companies and individuals around the world will be working to test their IPv6 support. Blizzard is getting involved, and so can you!

Beginning on June 8, players on the below realms will be able to connect to the game using IPv6. This isn’t a straightforward task and – while not extremely difficult – does involve research to ensure each component of your internet connection supports IPv6, as well as editing a game file with a text editor. While we’d love to have everyone participate, we don’t recommend taking part unless you’re already comfortable with technical aspects of your computer hardware, software, and World of Warcraft. If you aren’t comfortable tackling the task, or run into a snag while trying, don’t worry, we’ll get plenty of testing and you have our thanks for just making yourself more aware of IPv6.

If you’d like to know how to get started, or would like more information on what it’s all about, check out our IPv6 page: http://ipv6.blizzard.com/ and FAQ: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&tag=ipv6day

The realms that will support IPv6 on June 8 are:

Antonidas
Anub'arak
Blackwater Raiders
Bladefist
Borean Tundra
Cairne
Cenarion Circle
Cenarius
Darrowmere
Drak'Tharon
Drenden
Echo Isles
Farstriders
Fenris
Garrosh
Hydraxis
Hyjal
Korialstrasz
Lightbringer
Maiev
Misha
Mok'Nathal
Moon Guard
Nazgrel
Nesingwary
Nodrassil
Quel'dorei
Ravenholdt
Rivendare
Shandris
Shu'halo
Sisters of Elune
The Forgotten Coast
Tortheldrin
Uther
Vashj
Winterhoof
Wyrmrest Accord
Edited by Bashiok on 6/6/2011 3:16 PM PDT
- Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I can't believe it's almost IPv6 day! It makes me so warm and fuzzy inside. :3

Of course, I'd be happier if I still had my fully IPv6-compatible hardware. Stuff seems to break at the worst of times.
90 Tauren Druid
I can't believe it's almost IPv6 day! It makes me so warm and fuzzy inside. :3

Of course, I'd be happier if I still had my fully IPv6-compatible hardware. Stuff seems to break at the worst of times.

Pretty nice, what router are you using? Its worth make a hardware compatible list in the Forums->Games, Entertainment and Technology->Games, Gaming and Hardware

For end users I only know the hardware compatible with OpenWRT Project.

Sad that I am no longer in faculty or I could use the lab's router...
85 Draenei Warrior
I have NO idea what this means.

But, uh, good luck guys. With the IP. And the v6.

And stuff.
85 Human Paladin
Only for selective servers? Now I'm sad ;-(
85 Troll Druid
I was pumped, then I didn't see my server listed :( I am very sad panda.
90 Gnome Mage
With IPv6 some of the problems we were seeing with 32bit program clients that fed from the net were memory crashes when using 64bit Windows OS products. Have you already deployed or modified your client to use more than 3.1gb of memory when in IPv6 mode?
100 Dwarf Paladin
Too bad that my University campus hasn't announced anything about that day yet. You'd think that universities would jump ahead at the testing and implementation of new protocols, being institutions of progress and research.
Edited by Regnatia on 6/6/2011 4:13 PM PDT
94 Draenei Paladin
Quel'dorei, for real? Ugh, I figured when I transferred from that desolate backwater server to Stormrage we'd get more opportunities like this. There are probably 3 people there, that even know what IPv6 is.. /endrant
85 Night Elf Druid
06/06/2011 04:14 PMPosted by Taiki
desolate backwater server

That might be the reason for their choice: if something goes horribly wrong, it'll affect less people.

I think I'll make an alt on one of these servers.
Yet another event that Dalaran isn't included in, /sigh
- Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
06/06/2011 04:12 PMPosted by Santaclauss
With IPv6 some of the problems we were seeing with 32bit program clients that fed from the net were memory crashes when using 64bit Windows OS products. Have you already deployed or modified your client to use more than 3.1gb of memory when in IPv6 mode?

Wait, what? The address space limit is 2 GB on a standard 32-bit application. With patch 4.1, they made it large address aware so that players running a 64-bit operating systems can have as much as 4 GB reserved for WoW's address space.

32-bit players running into address space crashes will either need to lower their memory usage (turn down the settings/remove addons) or update to a 64-bit OS.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1658706617?page=8#145
90 Worgen Priest
Being a Network Admin and not having my realm Eonar on the list makes me a sad panda..
90 Worgen Priest
Also to note the web did run out of IPv4 Adress's few weeks ago there all payed for just not all in use.. AKA versizon is only useing maybe 1/2 of what they are paying for for future customers.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
/cry

mannoroth isn't supported...
86 Worgen Druid
Stupid question but how do we know if we can use Ipv6?
85 Troll Shaman
06/06/2011 03:12 PMPosted by Bashiok
Wednesday, June 8, is World IPv6 Day, a day when companies and individuals around the world will be working to test their IPv6 support. Blizzard is getting involved, and so can you!

June 8th is also my Birthday! =)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]