Remove self from someone's friends list

85 Blood Elf Hunter
There is someone I have been friends with for a while but things have gotten weird lately. I just want to remove myself from their friends list and go my own way. Unsure how to do this I put in a ticket. According to the gm that contacted me there is no way to do that! I can put them on ignore but they can still see when I log in and out. I do not think this is acceptable and I am very uncomfortable with this person keeping tabs on me.
How difficult would it be to make an option to remove yourself from someones friend list? Just like the ignore feature but block them from not only speaking to you but seeing you and your activities. I do not think it is that big of a stretch.
Is there anyone else in the community that has had the same issues? Anyone that would like to see a similar resolution?
100 Blood Elf Warrior
In before someone says that you should server transfer.
85 Worgen Rogue
If it's RealID, removing them automatically removes you from them as well, since RealID is by consent only. Otherwise, the only way I can see it is by using the ignore I guess.

If it's really gotten to the point where you're uncomfortable with them at all, and if there's a reason, then you can try for a harassment report. Otherwise, you might just be overreacting.
100 Night Elf Druid
That would be nice if you put someone on Ignore and it would disable that other person from adding you to their friend list.
57 Goblin Shaman
And once Blizzard does that, should they also forbid him from being able to /who you? Him having you on his friend's list doesn't affect you in any way.
100 Blood Elf Warrior
05/27/2011 05:12 PMPosted by Duskheart
And once Blizzard does that, should they also forbid him from being able to /who you?

You say that like it's a bad thing.
85 Tauren Paladin
05/27/2011 05:09 PMPosted by Xanith
I agree. I like my privacy sometimes, espescially with my friend whos constantly like "FACKSHUN CHANGE PLS LOL" every time I log on.

How the hell did you get Cataclysmically Epic the same day you hit 85? :O
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I totally agree with this... How hard would it really be to that? But would removing yourself from their list prevent them from adding you again? If not, then it'd be a waste of time.

05/27/2011 05:05 PMPosted by Einchy
In before someone says that you should server transfer

Someone shouldn't have to server transfer because of someone on the server... I'd understand getting a server transfer if someone is constantly making toons just to spam you, no matter how many time you put them on ignore... But doing it because you don't want to be on their online list anymore... That doesn't make much sense to me. :|
Have you asked them to remove you from their list, or are you just playing "if I ignore them, they'll ignore me"?
Edited by Lydevil on 5/27/2011 5:34 PM PDT
30 Troll Druid
05/27/2011 05:19 PMPosted by Kelvin
I agree. I like my privacy sometimes, espescially with my friend whos constantly like "FACKSHUN CHANGE PLS LOL" every time I log on.

He's playing on an arena tournament realm.
100 Night Elf Rogue
05/27/2011 05:15 PMPosted by Einchy
And once Blizzard does that, should they also forbid him from being able to /who you?

You say that like it's a bad thing.

And once Blizzard does that, should they do a check for each character you load in the world to see if they're on your ignore list and simply not load them if they are?

Why do people need technical solutions for social problems?
85 Tauren Paladin
05/27/2011 05:24 PMPosted by Soxbox

He's playing on an arena tournament realm.

Oh, thank you both.
90 Tauren Paladin
05/27/2011 05:20 PMPosted by Bestial
Stop flirting with random strangers online and you wont get stalkers.

With all due respect, sir, you are ignoring the fact that humanity is weird by design. All you really have to do is say "hi" to someone, or respond to a greeting, and in their twisted mind, that 'means' something. Why is the fault automatically hers/his? Maybe the 'friend' is mentally unbalanced; a lonely weirdo latching on to the first nice person they met online...

Please think things through before making assumptions like this and posting them....
Edited by Fullobull on 5/27/2011 5:28 PM PDT
85 Goblin Priest

Is there anyone else in the community that has had the same issues?

Maybe you should act like a responsible person and face your problems and issues. You left out a lot of informations, but from your post, it sounds like you refuse to face this awkward situation with your old friend.

You cannot disappear, you cannot hide, you cannot flee forever, face it and grow up. It's true for real life and online gaming. Someday it's possible you will have to work or live in the same appartment with your ex, even if you both hate each others. Someday it's possible you'll face great humiliation and would like to never go back, but it will not be an option. Someday it's possible you have a fight with your best friend, and that he'll never forgive you and insult you whenever he possibly can.

If you don't want to be his friend anymore, tell him. Whatever the situation, try to be civil. Conduct yourself properly and act the way you would like others to act for you in the same situation.
Edited by Shastity on 5/27/2011 5:41 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Hunter
05/27/2011 05:27 PMPosted by Fullobull
Stop flirting with random strangers online and you wont get stalkers.

With all due respect, sir, you are ignoring the fact that humanity is weird by design. All you really have to do is say "hi" to someone, or respond to a greeting, and in their twisted mind, that 'means' something. Why is the fault automatically hers/his? Maybe the 'friend' is mentally unbalanced; a lonely weirdo latching on to the first nice person they met online...

Please think things through before making assumptions like this and posting them....

Thanks. Not in the habit of doing the above. I have been friends with this person for months and just recently had things go south.
I just think it would be a simple solution to have the ignore function remove you from the ignored persons friends list and prevent them from adding you to it again.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Did you try simply telling them to stop already?
85 Blood Elf Hunter

Is there anyone else in the community that has had the same issues?

Maybe you should act like a responsible person and face your problems and issues. You left out a lot of informations, but from your post, it sounds like you refuse to face this awkward situation with your old friend.

You cannot disappear, you cannot hide, you cannot flee forever, face it and grow up. It's true for real life and online gaming. Someday it's possible you will have to work or live in the same appartment with your ex, even if you both hate each others. Someday it's possible you'll face great humiliation and would like to never go back, but it will not be an option. Someday it's possible you have a fight with your best friend, and that he'll never forgive you and insult you whenever he possibly can.

If you don't want to be his friend anymore, tell him. Whatever the situation, try to be civil. Conduct yourself properly and act the way you would like others to act for you in the same situation.

You assume that I have not tried to resolve this. I don't think I need to give details in these forums, I didn't post this for gossip fodder. You don't know me so please don't judge me.
The purpose of this post was to see if anyone else would like this type of feature and to perhaps get the attention of Blizzard. If people would like something like this then maybe Blizzard would implement it.
I simply want to be able to enjoy the game without harassment. I would like a simple, quiet resolution rather than reporting them for harassment. Just because I do not want to be friends with this person any longer does not mean I want to cause them any trouble. Obviously, if things get really bad I would report them but they are not to that point yet so why not have a simple solution?
Edited by Risingwolf on 5/28/2011 6:23 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]