Ask The Devs #9 - Tanking (Answers)

85 Troll Druid
You should just stop doing Q&A's if they don't actually offer any intelligent information. This is insulting and it makes me wonder how much of a back burner project World of Warcraft has become for Activision-Blizzard.
Edited by Kaya on 6/8/2011 4:09 PM PDT
89 Blood Elf Death Knight
I call B.S.

The notion that the various QoL and mastery scaling issues with Blood DKs, not to mention all the other issues with Warriors and Druids somehow managed to get less votes then a question about something that was gotten rid of almost a year ago is absolutely ridiculous.

Imagine somebody upvoting a question about hunters mana issues in the new DPS thread. Preposterous.
90 Human Paladin
This is as good a place as any to be reminded that the devs do not choose the questions answered. We've done nine rounds of these, and used the same method to gather and compile the questions every time.

In each region, a community manager locks their local questions thread, sorts the replies (by upvotes), and then copies out the questions that got the most upvotes (along with the names of the questioners). I then take all of the different lists of questions from each region and combine them. Since our goal is to get as many questions answered as possible, when I'm compiling the final list of questions for the devs, I try to find where the #7 most upvoted question from North America is very similar to the #1 question from Russia and nearly identical to the #8 question from Taiwan. There are several of those every round, and they become highly valuable questions in a list of already-highly-valuable questions.

I also make sure that the list of questions going to the devs at least has numerous questions from each region. Because some questions can be combined, I often get to send the devs at least the top 3-5 questions from every region, and often the top 6-9 questions from most regions. In this round, that process resulted in 16 questions for the devs, but comprised 26 of the highest-voted questions across all the regions.

The devs answered all 16 questions that they were sent.

Would I have liked to send the devs 20 questions? Perhaps 120 questions? Of course. But I have to pick a reasonable place to end the list when I compile it. That cut-off usually presents itself, and as the compilation grows to 11, then 12, then 13 questions, there is a big dropoff in upvotes. With most rounds of Ask the Devs, that happens at around 12 combined questions. This round, it was 16 questions.

There's all kinds of things wrong with that process. First off, taking the top questions from a 3 server cluster (LA), and giving it the same weight as a region with over 200 servers is a very poor way to serve the needs of the majority of your clients.

Secondly, it was a very poor job combining questions. The topic of rage normalization is a different topic from bears needing a ranged silence, which is a different topic from the change to effective health. And yet someone they all got rammed together, and given an answer that only covered one of the questions.

The response were not proofread, or fact checked, at all. There was no patch 3.9. It doesn't exist. It's unprofessional to be referencing events that didn't happen.

There were no efforts made to cull out the questions that were already covered by previous major blue communications, such as the watercooller blog, or patch notes. It's one thing to include a question that might have been covered by Zharhym on the death knight forum, it's another entirely to answer a question that was already splayed on the front page of ever major WoW site, including the community site, and the launcher that everyone has to stare at every time they launch the game.

The anger isn't over the content, it's over the communication. Blizzard is doing a very poor job at it, despite the game being more competetivly balanced than ever.
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
06/08/2011 03:45 PMPosted by Kaivax
The devs answered all 16 questions that they were sent.

No they didn't. There was no mention of anything addressing Feral rage generation issues in the answer to that question. None.

Not only that, but they chose to compare the effectiveness of a Feral Innervate to Raidwall. What?

And then went on to claim that there is nothing unintuitive about Savage Defense.

I have no problem with which questions were asked (granted, there's no way that Taunt question should've made it in), I have a problem with the quality of the answers. There has not been a single blue post specifically about Feral Bears that has been entirely accurate since the start of Cataclysm. It's getting tiring having to correct the CMs on things they should already know.
1 Undead Rogue
LOL @ the taunt missing question.

Perhaps a little common sense on the part of the people parsing the questions would go a long way? Up-votes don't make the questions relevant. Many of the questions that were answered can be solved with a forum search.

Edit: Then again, since people up-voted the most inane questions, perhaps it's better that the devs don't listen to the "majority" that the casuals are always going on about. Clearly they don't know what they want.

The game is actually very balanced right now, perhaps too much so-- it's feeling a bit homogenized. But, since balance at all costs was the devs goal, I'd say they're on the right track.
Edited by Ohaidere on 6/8/2011 4:17 PM PDT
85 Worgen Druid
Oh, finally some feedback about this awful situation. Thank you for at least post something to clarify it.

Why not make multiple Q&A for every region then? I was passing by the EU Q&A questions and saw that they have only 11 pages of questions. We have ALWAYS 26 pages here in US forums. It would be a lot better if we had separete questions for each community like 10 from US, 5 from EU etc.

Or please estipulate a minimum voting up rates, like 150 or 200. Having a question that is marked as Highly Rated by 20 players competing for an answer with a question with 200+ HR method is not working as you can see.

edit: btw, it would be nice to see a feedback about the previous Q&As too. At least a post saying that you're-thinking about X topic or giving a detailed explanation about your point of view.
Edited by Dëva on 6/8/2011 4:19 PM PDT
90 Tauren Druid
I think it would be nice for druids and warriors to always start with a full tank of rage rather than empty, keep the rage build up after the same, but having enough rage to execute 2 hard attacks imo would eliminate a lot heart ache. *shrug*
11 Goblin Hunter
At the moment I feel we're getting about as much communication (ie: none) as we did did back in vanilla/bc, just with the odd blog post or Q and A that pretty much provide no info that isn't already in patch notes.

While democracy etc is the least worst of all options, these non-answer Q and As are just going to start getting ignored if they continue the way they are for the rest of the X-pac.
85 Human Paladin
In each region, a community manager locks their local questions thread, sorts the replies (by upvotes), and then copies out the questions that got the most upvotes (along with the names of the questioners). I then take all of the different lists of questions from each region and combine them. Since our goal is to get as many questions answered as possible, when I'm compiling the final list of questions for the devs, I try to find where the #7 most upvoted question from North America is very similar to the #1 question from Russia and nearly identical to the #8 question from Taiwan. There are several of those every round, and they become highly valuable questions in a list of already-highly-valuable questions.

Sorry but I can't believe it is a voting system that end up with this question ... "Can you make it so that taunt doesn't miss, just like you did for interrupt abilities?"

Any tank that play their class for more that 2 week know that it cant miss. This question alone show how you guys totally FAIL with the tank questions. 5 tank in 25 man raid anyone ? Yeah right we all vote for a 5 tank raid thing ... seriously many question was pathetic and the "good" question end up with answer that ether piss off the community (Druid you got innervate right ?) or didn't answer the question at all (Mastery for plate tank anyone ?).

Sorry But I don't trust any blue post from now on ... if its not in the patch note, talk to the hand, could care less about what you guys say.
Edited by Earthquakes on 6/8/2011 4:18 PM PDT
Why were there only 2 questions answered from NA? And who the hell would ask about missing taunts, 5-tank-fights, and the leg armor THAT WAS IN THE PATCH NOTES? Very disappointed.
1 Orc Mage
"... and the 4.3 legendary will have much more narrow appeal. We don’t want to fall into the trap of making legendaries too formulaic."

Another legendary? in 2 consecutive patches? :O
90 Troll Warrior
Heres a challenge why don't the more intelligent of the community start another thread "the real tank Q&A", at the very least I am sure they would look at it even if they don't post.

What I see is questsions were asked and answered.

Some of the community says there were stupid questions

Community manager says "well you guys asked them"
90 Orc Warrior
06/08/2011 09:26 AMPosted by Kaivax
A: We don’t currently balance around the assumption that tanks cap hit or expertise. We’re definitely looking at ways to make reliably hitting more attractive to tanks in the future, though. Currently, missing is just a compound to the issue discussed in Question #1. Getting tanks to care about threat stats, not for the threat benefit (but for a mitigation benefit), is one potential direction. For example, DKs want to make sure their Death Strikes hit because of the mitigation benefit. Druids care about crit because of Savage Defense. We speculated at one point that we could make Shield Block (and now Holy Shield) require a successful hit to do their jobs. We’re not sure we will go that direction, but it’s one idea. We would of course compensate tanks for any potential loss of predictable mitigation.

The issue isn't that hit/exp aren't attractive to tanks. They're very attractive. We love having those stats.

The problem is that we can't gear for hit and expertise in any way without gimping our survivability.

I don't think there isn't a tank alive that wouldn't love to explore their threat stats more. The fact is gear = less dying. Period. If our stats were split in such a way that, say, we could freely pick within "survival" and "threat" rating pools without sacrificing one for the other you'd see a lot more tanks interested in the notion.

Just adding a forced requirement to a stat we can't stack is just going to further frustrate us.
23 Goblin Warrior
I read these and... I honestly feel like nothing was answered at all. I was hoping for actual answers, instead it seems like we got "working as intended" or some other trade mark response.

Also.. For the leg enchant/taunt question.. I think we got trolled..... Hard.. Who the hell would even bother answering that...
Edited by Gaphlipt on 6/8/2011 4:26 PM PDT
90 Draenei Warrior
06/08/2011 04:16 PMPosted by Wartrider
Why were there only 2 questions answered from NA? And who the hell would ask about missing taunts, 5-tank-fights, and the leg armor THAT WAS IN THE PATCH NOTES? Very disappointed.
It wasn't in the patch notes when the Q&A was up and was a pretty valid question at the time.
-----
Attack tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859

85 Human Paladin
If you enjoy how Blizzard answer a question about "taunt missing" please visit this post.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2650315378?page=1

You will find a list of pointless and stupid DPS question from the "ask dev about dps" section. So go vote and see if blizzard will answer question like ... "Will my DPS go up if I use a weapon?" ... and many more funny dps question.

Have fun !!!!
Most of those pointless question are highly rated already .. keep voting.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]