Ask The Devs #9 - Tanking (Answers)

100 Undead Priest
06/08/2011 04:27 PMPosted by Kabouters
And while it isn't possible to satisfy every individual, every individual does have a say. That's a valuable thing.

I'm sorry but this Q&A was pointless. Some of the questions asked were just stupid and should have been weeded out no matter how many upvotes they got.

Taunts not missing? Come on - what a waste of a question.
The leg patch? Another complete waste.

This is what happens when the pool of questions is limited to whatever happens to get spammed in a single thread before reaching the post cap. Since reaching the post cap in a Q&A thread takes only a few hours, the bulk of the forum readership (say, the people who don't read the forums until the evening) get screwed out of asking intelligent questions.

86 Tauren Druid
In each region, a community manager locks their local questions thread, sorts the replies (by upvotes), and then copies out the questions that got the most upvotes (along with the names of the questioners)....

Corollary: If you don't bother reading other peoples' posts on a thread, and just post your own version of a question somebody already asked, then that is an upvote your topic missed.
85 Night Elf Druid
Q: At the moment, tanks need to use addons to see threat levels and clearly see which mobs they have aggro with. With all the recent changes and updates being made to the UI, are there any plans to make seeing threat levels and aggro easier and clearer? – Castan (EU-EN)

A: We’d definitely like to build threat into the UI more, especially for tanks and for multiple targets. We try to keep our default UI relatively unobtrusive so that players can see the actual battlefield, but we realize this design goal can come into conflict with players’ need or desire to have copious amounts of information displayed. Finding the right compromise is something we wrestle with constantly and one reason why our UI changes tend to come more slowly than, say, class design changes.

I'm sure this may get lost in the storm of replies but please refer your UI designers to the addon Tiddyplates with the Threat plates module active. It adds a bar on top of the nameplate HP bar that grows from the center to indicate your threat on a target. It grows larger to the right the more solid your lead is but if someone else has threat the bar will grow left to show how far off you are and provides the name of who the mob is targeting. This is very simple, clean, and lets the tank see at a glance if they have threat, another tank has threat, or if they need to target and taunt off an overzelous dps. Not so needed on 1 or two targets but it is my favorate mod when I'm tanking 5+ targets at once.

the beauty of adding to the name plates (could even be an option you need to turn on in the interface panel) is that you dont have to display nameplates if you dont need the info. Those that dont need it dont have extra clutter but its an invaluable and clean tool for those that need it.
Otherwise nice assortment of answers. one or two I may not agree fully but its good info.
Edited by Merendel on 6/8/2011 4:58 PM PDT
85 Draenei Death Knight
Answer this please ..... When will DK's get there Duel Wielding Tanking back????? Right now it is near impossible to Duel Wield tank with the spells and abilities that we currently have. Are we forever stuck with just tanking with Two-Handed weapons or do you plan to let us choose what weapons we want to use? I for one loved Duel Wield Tanking and I know there is a lot of other players that love it as well.

Thanks for reading this.

Havensdeath a.k.a Havenslight
100 Troll Warrior

They said they answered the popular questions not the ones they considered valid. I.E they are asserting the community came up with dumb questions as they were the ones "voted up". My challenge was lets come up with some better questions that are not based on popularity.

Instead of just posting questsions that get voted up or down we could see if there is a consensus on what our problems are or not let the theorycrafters run wild as it were.

I'm at a point though where even if me, you and 20 other people asked a real important valid question it would only get pushed out the door for some idiotic question similiar to the taunts missing question instead.

Well thats just it if we start our own thread and a silly question is asked we can say why we think the question is ill advised (like taunts already don't miss please delete your post) we don't just post one question then vote it up or down.

Maybe it gets answered maybe it doesn't but at least we get our thoughts across, instead of endlessly complaining about how we are not being heard. i don't consider myself very intelligent nor a theorycrafter otherwise I would start one.

But if the developers have said they are happy with threat being a concern for tanks at the begining of a pull, my question would be is it is a concern for some classes and not others (for example the warrior part of the question was completely ignored).

If DKs are seen to be the successful model (in that survivability is directly linked to there resource usage), [how] do they plan to make other tanks similar... Paladins SOTT could add 10% block raiting but a block could lower it by 5% etc what mechanics are they toying around with.
85 Human Paladin
06/08/2011 03:45 PMPosted by Kaivax
And while it isn't possible to satisfy every individual, every individual does have a say. That's a valuable thing

We understand this, but that in and of it self isn't the crux of the problem. The fact there were extremely pointless questions answered is.

"Can you make it so that taunt doesn't miss?"
Any tank who spends a day tanking will realize this. Not only that this was a change made a while ago. Out of all the things that were highly rated, I see no reason for this to even be considered.

"Are there any plans to update the leg armor"
I realize this wasn't changed when the QA came up, but that doesn't mean it should have been answered when it is clearly in the patch notes.

"Have you ever considered adjusting DPS HP"
I fail to see how this is an "important" tanking question that required an answer.

I'm not going to sit here and dissect the entire QA but these are the couple that really stand out as...well...pointless.

The fact that "can taunts miss" is almost turning into a joke now because of this QA is kind of a problem.
Edited by Xayton on 6/8/2011 5:27 PM PDT
55 Blood Elf Death Knight
1. When will you (blizzard) let the TANKS ask the questions about TANKING?
2. Why even let some of these (obviously asinine) questions take the place of some very valuable ones?
3. Why answer questions that have been answerd year(s) ago by the PATCH NOTES? Let them use google (stop fueling the very lazy/ignorant people of the game, you are just making it worse that way)
4. Lets have another go with some REAL questions, shall we?
85 Human Death Knight
And while it isn't possible to satisfy every individual, every individual does have a say. That's a valuable thing

We understand this, but that in and of it self isn't the crux of the problem. The fact there were extremely pointless questions answered is.

It goes back to the same problems LFD has. People complain about bad tanks, healers or DPS and ask Blizzard to fix it, but it's not their problem. It's people. People are sometimes dumb.

It's noble of Blizzard to give everyone an equal voice here, but some people are... not smart. I don't think that means their opinions aren't valid, but I feel like they're holding us back.

e: I am all for a Meritocracy.
Edited by Communism on 6/8/2011 5:28 PM PDT
71 Gnome Warrior
06/08/2011 05:25 PMPosted by Tydrein
1. When will you (blizzard) let the TANKS ask the questions about TANKING?

We do. The sad thing is that since GC stopped posting such a HUGE disjoint has happened between us and them and this sort of idiotic Q&A type session won't fix anything.

I think bringing GC back to the forums is a million times better than this.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
So I have to reroll Warrior or gtfo? Because Death Strike spam and our mastery sucks.
85 Human Paladin
Q: At the moment, tanks need to use addons to see threat levels and clearly see which mobs they have aggro with. With all the recent changes and updates being made to the UI, are there any plans to make seeing threat levels and aggro easier and clearer? – Castan (EU-EN)

A: We’d definitely like to build threat into the UI more, especially for tanks and for multiple targets. We try to keep our default UI relatively unobtrusive so that players can see the actual battlefield, but we realize this design goal can come into conflict with players’ need or desire to have copious amounts of information displayed. Finding the right compromise is something we wrestle with constantly and one reason why our UI changes tend to come more slowly than, say, class design changes.

I'm sure this may get lost in the storm of replies but please refer your UI designers to the addon Tiddyplates with the Threat plates module active. It adds a bar on top of the nameplate HP bar that grows from the center to indicate your threat on a target. It grows larger to the right the more solid your lead is but if someone else has threat the bar will grow left to show how far off you are and provides the name of who the mob is targeting. This is very simple, clean, and lets the tank see at a glance if they have threat, another tank has threat, or if they need to target and taunt off an overzelous dps. Not so needed on 1 or two targets but it is my favorate mod when I'm tanking 5+ targets at once.

the beauty of adding to the name plates (could even be an option you need to turn on in the interface panel) is that you dont have to display nameplates if you dont need the info. Those that dont need it dont have extra clutter but its an invaluable and clean tool for those that need it.
Otherwise nice assortment of answers. one or two I may not agree fully but its good info.

This

and this again
85 Human Death Knight

So what you're actually saying is that it's not the Dev's fault that the "taunts missing" question was put forward and answered, it's actually your fault.

But it's not his fault. His job was to find the highest rated questions and he did.

People out there voted for that question. A LOT of people.
85 Human Paladin

So what you're actually saying is that it's not the Dev's fault that the "taunts missing" question was put forward and answered, it's actually your fault.

But it's not his fault. His job was to find the highest rated questions and he did.

There were MANY other highly rated questions that were a lot more valid then "taunts missing" yet somehow out of EVERYTHING it is an important thing to answer? No.
Edited by Xayton on 6/8/2011 5:35 PM PDT
90 Orc Death Knight
No matter how you look at it the answers to these questions are embarrassing. From the people who asked them and voted them up to the CM's that passed them to the Devs, and especially for the Devs on the answers they gave.

85 Human Paladin

I totally believe this. Only because there are so many DPS out there that don't tank. Its ok but it really made me "Snort" :D Its almost like every DPS that Aggros a boss with Burst Damage on a pull voted this up. Instead of realizing Vengence doesnt kick in until the Tank is hit a few times, they figure "Oh his Taunt must have failed, blizzard really needs to fix that" =D
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]