Ask The Devs #9 - Tanking (Answers)

85 Human Death Knight

There were MANY other highly rated questions that were a lot more valid then "taunts missing" yet somehow out of EVERYTHING it is an important thing to answer? No.

They were able to see exactly how many votes each post got. That was the number they were going by. It had nothing to do with how good the question was.
85 Human Paladin

There were MANY other highly rated questions that were a lot more valid then "taunts missing" yet somehow out of EVERYTHING it is an important thing to answer? No.

They were able to see exactly how many votes each post got. That was the number they were going by. It had nothing to do with how good the question was.

And that is part of the problem. in my eyes at least.
Edited by Xayton on 6/8/2011 5:41 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
Maybe they should make druid tanks better seeing as we can not block or parry and only have 1 ranged attack, also maybe tone down pallys a bit, seeing as they can block and parry and have many ranged attacks as well as silences and a multi target ranged attack, and TURN INVINCIBLE 2 times and INSTANTLY HEAL TO FULL HEALTH.
Plus I don't get any good tanking pieces off anything, no good boots or relics that I can see.
58 Gnome Death Knight

I'm sorry Commie, but I just cannot believe that a question about Taunts missing on the Latin America forums received more upvotes than a relevant question from the North America forums. I can believe the Legendary question got a ton of votes worldwide, but TAUNTS? No way, not even remotely plausible.
Edited by Ahasuerus on 6/8/2011 5:45 PM PDT
90 Tauren Druid
This was a very poor job. I would have happily waited much longer for decent communication from the devs.
85 Draenei Paladin
So people who keep up to date with changes are basically out of luck if a lot of people are clueless about something that happened months ago (taunts) or can be found on recent patch notes (tank leg armor)? Why is a question about dpsers HP in the tanking Q&A?

Being able to say "We just go with what's most popular" works well, I guess, but some editorial oversight would be nice too - I know people over on the tanking forum put a lot of effort into crafting questions on susbstantive issues they wanted some insight on and seeing our Q&A taken up in part by trivial questions was annoying, made worse by the fact that even the better questions weren't answered (as others have outlined above, it's not even political answers, it's flat out non-answers).

It's been said that the developers value productive, useful feedback about problems or issues people have. If so, why not move these sorts of Q&As to their respective forums, at least, so you might get a better sampling of what is worth looking into? As it is, if we're leaving the questions up to the whims of people who apparently missed out on mechanics for months, and the questions aren't likely to be answered appropriately anyway, what's the point?
This is basically how I feel about this. Of all the legitimate issues the tanks have, and they're all well discussed in the tank forums, these are some preeettttttttttty awful questions, to put it lightly. We don't care about DPS HP. We don't want questions asked that were changed months or even years ago. You don't have to answer questions based on incorrect facts (5 tanks in BC?). You don't have to answer questions about easy fixes you plan to put in the next patch, such as the new leg armor.

We want answers to issues that make a big difference to us. We got non-answers to some of the good questions that were asked, and factually incorrect answers to others. A lot of players, tanks and non-tanks alike, feel like it was a total waste of an Ask The Devs Q+A session.

So what can we do to improve this? As Lesaberisa posted, the class forums, and I guess the role forums for this issue, can play a part. Give us a warning about what the next topic will be in advance, maybe by a couple days, and the class and role forums can think of good questions to ask. Maybe the OP of the thread, ideally a knowledgeable member of the community, can edit his or her post to add the best questions asked, and then those questions can be taken up by the developers to answer. Or they can be asked in a standard Ask The Devs thread, and then the individual questions would be upvoted by the community. Maybe Blizzard could make a poll thread asking which of the listed questions asked in the thread in the role/class forums the community would like answered.

This also mostly solves the problem of not being able to ask a question because you were at work or school or otherwise busy that time of the day, because the window in which a question could be asked would be extended to a couple days rather than the ~5 hours it takes to cap an Ask The Devs thread.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
My question got missinterpreted and was not accurately translated from Spanish to English. What I wanted to ask is why Righteous Defense can still miss (on Maloriak adds for example). I know Hand of Reckoning does not.
100 Troll Warrior
06/08/2011 05:50 PMPosted by Madmartygan
My question got missinterpreted and was not accurately translated from Spanish to English. What I wanted to ask is why Righteous Defense can still miss (on Maloriak adds for example). I know Hand of Reckoning does not.

Are you sure it can miss? My undertanding is that this gets cast on a friendly target and that up to 4 mobs attacking that target get taunted?
81 Draenei Shaman
06/08/2011 09:26 AMPosted by Kaivax
Protection paladins do bring a lot of utility, but it is quite difficult to make a table comparing a paladin’s Divine Guardian to a Protection warrior’s mobility or a bear druid’s ability to cast Innervate

they're difficult to compare because one of those is laughably unimportant and never matters

(hint, it's the bear one)

A: Bears are getting a significant mitigation buff in 4.2 and we’re retuning their damage such that it’s a little easier to hold aggro at low gear levels, and a little harder at higher gear levels. While we definitely don’t expect the community to ever agree on anything, we’ve seen little evidence of a widespread concurrence that druids are “the weakest tank.” There are plenty of druid tanks out there, handling everything from Grim Batol to Sinestra. Tank balance overall is in a really good place. Players may focus on potential problems that could arise in the future but we also have ample time to address those problems should they occur. Gone are the days when we would just release a class into the wild and refuse to touch it again until the next expansion.

so that's a no on the ranged silence?

We’re pretty happy with how mastery has turned out. It scales well,

uh

Indeed. yay for wasting questions on stuff like "CAN WE MAKE IT SO TAUNT NEVER MISSES?" and "CAN WE GET STAM/DODGE LEG ENCHANTS NOW PLEASE??"

CAN WE MAKE IT SO EVERYONE IS CRIT IMMUNE THROUGH TALENTS, IT'S GETTING REALLY HARD TO FIND DEFENSE RATING ON GEAR FOR SOME REASON
4 Draenei Shaman

Nice to see they have Top People on making sure they translate things correctly. Now I'm curious if any other past questions might have been translated incorrectly.
100 Troll Warrior
Dont you guys get it even in this thread no one has been able to agree about the problems of tanking and what our issues are.

We have the druids screaming they are the worst
The Dks screaming they are broken
The warriors saying Initial threat is too weak
And the paladins asking why taunts are missing and why they suffer on magic damage orientated fights.

85 Orc Death Knight
what has the WoW community turned into? all u people seem to do is yell at Blizz in literally EVERY announcement or article they put out. Will u give them a break? their doing their job
100 Troll Warrior
06/08/2011 06:00 PMPosted by Asuun

Nice to see they have Top People on making sure they translate things correctly. Now I'm curious if any other past questions might have been translated incorrectly.

Or they just decided to reword it so that it reached a broader audience?
85 Human Paladin

All three of these are all more or less agreed upon at some level.

06/08/2011 06:04 PMPosted by Therealgor
And the paladins asking why taunts are missing and why they suffer on magic damage orientated fights.

I didn't realize we suffered on magic damage fights. Glyph Divine Protection and Mirror cover everything for me.
85 Gnome Warrior
Dont you guys get it even in this thread no one has been able to agree about the problems of tanking and what our issues are.

Maybe... But how many questions did they answer? Pretty sure that's only 4 or 5 topics/questions. They answered more than that. All of which were mentioned in SOME form of question in the Ask the Devs, and NONE of which (it seems) the relevant classes feel they got a REAL response to. I know that it seemed that the warrior threat question wasn't even acknowledge. And that's the problem. I do agree that if an Ask the Devs is specific to one area of the player base, it should be limited to those players. Not sure how, but putting the post on the relevant boards would be a good start.
90 Human Paladin

That's a legitimate issue. Perhaps one better suited for a bug report, but it's much better than how Blizz translated it. It also wasn't answered properly. Yet another failure to add to the long, sad list of poorly executed aspects of this misbegotten communique.
85 Human Death Knight
Best Blizz troll evar.
90 Troll Priest

Umm, the druid, dk, and warrior ones are actually generally agreed upon concerns from experienced tanks (i.e. not "I has tank!" forum trolls), backed up by quite a bit of data scattered about. *shrug*
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]