Solo Kael'thas Sunstrider: Tempest Keep

69 Tauren Warrior
I was wondering if it's possible for a warrior to solo Kael'thas Sunstrider in the Tempest Keep 25 man raid. I know hunters, warlocks, dks, paladins, and druids can solo it, but I don't know If a warrior can.

Obviously you'd be using the tactic of dragging them out far away from their spawn location, but the lack of healing is a set back (*snicker*).

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
I've actually been working on soloing this for the past few weeks. I've put in a few dozen attempts and the best I've done so far is about halfway through P3. I consistently down Capernian and almost down Telonicus before biting it. Remote Toy + Conflag + Fear (if Sanguinar catches up) is just too much to handle right now. I generally trinket the first Conflag in both P1 and P3, but usually end up getting destroyed by Remote Toy + Fear even if I get Capernian down before Telonicus arrives. I'll wager a guess and say that I could do it in full 372 gear, but that's just not a possibility for me right now.

P1 is easy with kiting. P2 simply requires the proper kill order. I usually enter P3 with only the Phaseshift Bulwark left up and my HP at 100% after RC+Enraged Regen. P3 is the hardest part (so far). I think Firelands gear is going to make this relatively easy to solo.

Fury soloing spec (Blood Craze, Second Wind, Field Dressing, Die by the Sword), Fury gear (you can't afford the dps loss from tank gear), Mending x 2, Prismatic Elixir, Drums of Forgotten Kings, Runescroll of Fortitude, Battle Shout...

I welcome any and all suggestions or discussion on how to get this down (other than just getting better gear).'

Edit: I've also been Frapsing most of my attempts. So if anyone is serious about collaborating on this I'll upload them for you to check out.

*removed since I need to do some testing before making this statement*
Edited by Sandbox on 6/10/2011 9:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Google kripparian or something, he solo's it as hunter if your interested in watching - shrug-
Reply Quote
92 Dwarf Warrior
You can loot all of the weapons from phase 2. You can set up a macro to equip the staff, use it, then equip whatever else you'll want to use to actually fight. The staff use effect will protect you from Toy and fear at least (it may not prevent conflag, it's been a while). The protection only lasts (30 seconds?) so you'll want to refresh it if it drops (I believe it looks like a bluish vaguely-shield icon).

You can also set up macros to only equip the bulwark when you want to use its effect, and use a better shield the rest of the time (though someone feel free to yell at me if the bulwark has a cooldown when equipped that makes this a bad idea).
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
You can loot all of the weapons from phase 2. You can set up a macro to equip the staff, use it, then equip whatever else you'll want to use to actually fight. The staff use effect will protect you from Toy and fear at least (it may not prevent conflag, it's been a while). The protection only lasts (30 seconds?) so you'll want to refresh it if it drops (I believe it looks like a bluish vaguely-shield icon).

You can also set up macros to only equip the bulwark when you want to use its effect, and use a better shield the rest of the time (though someone feel free to yell at me if the bulwark has a cooldown when equipped that makes this a bad idea).

Yup, I've been considering trying the staff, I'm just not sure how horrible my damage will be. I believe the buff goes away if you unequip the staff, so I'd have to dps with it. If I ever make it to P4, I already have a macro ready for the shield. I'd use it in P3, but it's generally not dead until part of the way through P3 since it blocks a good chunk of my attacks and it's the lowest on my priority list because it barely does any damage.

I still need to test whether equipping them puts the use effect on CD, but I highly doubt that it does. I'll check it out nonetheless.
Edited by Sandbox on 6/9/2011 1:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Pretty sure taking the staff off removes the effect. Just do it with a healer. Takes no time at all. Become more charismatic if you can't find a dozen healers to serve your every need.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
06/09/2011 02:48 PMPosted by Scybear
Pretty sure taking the staff off removes the effect. Just do it with a healer. Takes no time at all. Become more charismatic if you can't find a dozen healers to serve your every need.

thats not the point!

the point is that soloing stuff like this is AWESOME
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
06/09/2011 06:51 AMPosted by Sandbox
Edit: I've also been Frapsing most of my attempts. So if anyone is serious about collaborating on this I'll upload them for you to check out.
I am pretty interested. On my old main I farmed pretty much everything that was farmable for mounts and this is one I would like to try and lay my hands on. Really I think the second add phase will be the killer. I would have to double check but I'm pretty sure they have more hp this time around. It might just be split dps though when I pug it though.

Also TG > SMF for soloing unless your SMF weapons are waaaaay better than your TG ones. You get a huge chunk of extra Stamina (which boosts BT healing) from 2 x 2-handers.
I disagree. The cooldown on bloodthirst is 3 seconds and the attack speed on my weapons even with flurry proced is 2.68 so unless you have flurry proced AND you are using your special abilities exactly right you are wasting BT heals. Doing mag I found SMF to heal more than the stamina and mastery from a 2 hander could compensate for.

Actually I will check those numbers to be more specific...

BT heal with 2x wormbreakers is 1180
BT heal with 2x lavas pines is 1098
Difference of 82 hp

Enranged regen is 55% with wormbreakers 7746(sometimes 5)/tick
Enraged regen is 49% with lava spines, 6458/tick
Difference of about 13k hitpoints

As you can see the numbers don't differ that greatly. But now lets look at attack speeds.

Attack speed with flurry and wormbreakers is 2.68
Attack speed withOUT flurry and wormbreaker 3.36
Attack speed with flurry and lava spines is 1.92
attack speed withOUT flurry and lava spines 2.4

The above is what makes SMF win. Without flurry, TG can waste an entire cooldown of the bloodthirst heal if the proper abilities are not ready to be used and you are between auto attacks with flurry down. SMF even with flurry down will still get auto attacks in to use those charges of the BT heal. Let's also not forget SMF bloodsurge is a double attack where TG is a single.

So I think the question comes down to how much are you kiting and how much are you standing and slamming? If you're moving around more than standing and fighting yeah TG would be smarter because you are interrupting your natural attack speed anyway. If you are standing and pounding them down however SMF should be your choice.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Fair enough. I hadn't taken the time to really break it down. I made assumptions, and I'll have to spend some time working it through to see if I think SMF is indeed better.

06/10/2011 12:29 AMPosted by Cur
Really I think the second add phase will be the killer. I would have to double check but I'm pretty sure they have more hp this time around. It might just be split dps though when I pug it though.

Yup, P3 is the worst and they do have quite a bit more HP the second time around. I can't remember off of the top of my head, but I want to say it's either double P1's HP or close to it. I'll confirm later. P1 and P2 are quite simple if you kite properly.

I'm going to work on it this weekend some more. I don't have the video uploaded anywhere yet, but if you're interested I'll get it up. Send me in-game mail or something, I'd rather not post the videos here just yet.
Edited by Sandbox on 6/10/2011 9:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Dwarf Warrior
I didn't realize unequipping the staff would remove the buff. It applies to people in an area around you, so would it remove their buff too if someone swapped it? I've been fortunate to have folks with me to just spam the staff the entire fight and not have to worry about it. Is there any delay to the buff falling off? I was thinking maybe just hitting the macro every other attack, and macroing in a weapon re-equip to some attacks to do damage. It'd reset your swing timer I think so you wouldn't get any auto-attacks in, but I'm assuming this effort is getting done in prot where you don't depend on that for rage.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Each of the weapons have their own effects.

You can't solo this fight though, it's not possible. When Kael'thas Sunstrider gets to the mind control phase, the game will register no enemies in the room, and he'll reset. It's really annoying, but it is what it is. Bring at least 3 other people with you for Kael'thas Sunstrider, five total is better.

The other 3 bosses in TK are easy as pie though, so have at it. Just make sure you know the mechanics for Al'ar, or he'll 5 shot you during one of his phases.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
06/10/2011 09:34 AMPosted by Pitr
I didn't realize unequipping the staff would remove the buff. It applies to people in an area around you, so would it remove their buff too if someone swapped it? I've been fortunate to have folks with me to just spam the staff the entire fight and not have to worry about it. Is there any delay to the buff falling off? I was thinking maybe just hitting the macro every other attack, and macroing in a weapon re-equip to some attacks to do damage. It'd reset your swing timer I think so you wouldn't get any auto-attacks in, but I'm assuming this effort is getting done in prot where you don't depend on that for rage.

Yeah, I'm 99% sure unequipping the staff removes the buff from everyone. I saw a comment to that effect somewhere on wowhead. You actually have to do this in Fury right now for Bloodthirst heals and the dps. There's a pretty steep dps requirement for soloing. I'll fool around with some macros that deal with equipping the staff and shield.

Each of the weapons have their own effects.

You can't solo this fight though, it's not possible. When Kael'thas Sunstrider gets to the mind control phase, the game will register no enemies in the room, and he'll reset. It's really annoying, but it is what it is. Bring at least 3 other people with you for Kael'thas Sunstrider, five total is better.

The other 3 bosses in TK are easy as pie though, so have at it. Just make sure you know the mechanics for Al'ar, or he'll 5 shot you during one of his phases.

The only weapons that matter for soloing as a Warrior are the shield and staff, although I don't have any solid proof that either one helps (I hope to soon). MC ignores the tank. If you have a ghoul or worms or any combat pet out, you will get MCed. There are plenty of DKs that have soloed this. It's possible.
Edited by Sandbox on 6/10/2011 10:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
06/10/2011 09:44 AMPosted by Ryor
You can't solo this fight though, it's not possible

Ragewyn would like to have a word with you.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I believe his name is Raegwyn! Just sayin....I will be attempting this after I complete my T12 four set. Fury/TG. With the amount of Damage I should be doing and a few Speed potions ... after doing the math I believe this fight is going to be possible. I'm not an expert and a quote from the first video I ever saw of this fight comes to mind. (80 DK named Raegwyn soloing kael'thas)

P.S. keep trying you will get this!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
If you do the fight with multiple people, keep in mind you will need to also use the dagger to remove the mind control effect.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
06/10/2011 12:29 AMPosted by Cur
I am pretty interested. On my old main I farmed pretty much everything that was farmable for mounts and this is one I would like to try and lay my hands on. Really I think the second add phase will be the killer. I would have to double check but I'm pretty sure they have more hp this time around. It might just be split dps though when I pug it though.

Also TG > SMF for soloing unless your SMF weapons are waaaaay better than your TG ones. You get a huge chunk of extra Stamina (which boosts BT healing) from 2 x 2-handers.
I disagree. The cooldown on bloodthirst is 3 seconds and the attack speed on my weapons even with flurry proced is 2.68 so unless you have flurry proced AND you are using your special abilities exactly right you are wasting BT heals. Doing mag I found SMF to heal more than the stamina and mastery from a 2 hander could compensate for.

Actually I will check those numbers to be more specific...

BT heal with 2x wormbreakers is 1180
BT heal with 2x lavas pines is 1098
Difference of 82 hp

Enranged regen is 55% with wormbreakers 7746(sometimes 5)/tick
Enraged regen is 49% with lava spines, 6458/tick
Difference of about 13k hitpoints

As you can see the numbers don't differ that greatly. But now lets look at attack speeds.

Attack speed with flurry and wormbreakers is 2.68
Attack speed withOUT flurry and wormbreaker 3.36
Attack speed with flurry and lava spines is 1.92
attack speed withOUT flurry and lava spines 2.4

The above is what makes SMF win. Without flurry, TG can waste an entire cooldown of the bloodthirst heal if the proper abilities are not ready to be used and you are between auto attacks with flurry down. SMF even with flurry down will still get auto attacks in to use those charges of the BT heal. Let's also not forget SMF bloodsurge is a double attack where TG is a single.

So I think the question comes down to how much are you kiting and how much are you standing and slamming? If you're moving around more than standing and fighting yeah TG would be smarter because you are interrupting your natural attack speed anyway. If you are standing and pounding them down however SMF should be your choice.

Don't forget about mending.
The extra heals from your auto-attacks and the incresed attack speed also outweigh TG in terms of soloing.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Bryntroll, the Bone Arbiter x 2?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
I did this as fury with my ret friend, and we had trouble when we had to take on all 4 of his buddies at once, we got like 2 down, put all those ccs, stuns, conflags, etc really killed us.

He said if he went holy it prolly woulda been easier, may as well try that next time.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
I'm sure he meant you can't solo it AS A WARRIOR. Just as the next poster pointed out that if you have a combat pet out, you can get past the MC-part.... and we don't have have a combat pet.

/thread
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]