Is Blizzard Done with WoW?

85 Troll Hunter
This is something I've been pondering lately. Has Blizzard decided to just cash out with World of Warcraft? It kind of feels like it lately, but hold on! Before you go and bite my head off let me get my point across. Let me explain where I'm coming from, then you're all more than welcome to rip me a new one.

My biggest concern comes in patch 4.2 with the coming of the Firelands. Yes, it seems like a promising raid but apparently it's two major content patches late. It also was supposed to include the abyssal maw instance, but that has been scrapped. I remember reading in one of the Blue Posts that they "feel the daily quests are so awesome leading up to the firelands, that they really didn't need the other instance. " I personally feel that's just saving face. From what I've heard those 'awesome' dailies are basically some of the most grindtastic quests they have put into the game recently.

Now why do I feel like the above mention means Blizzard has walked away from WoW? Quite simply it feels like the bare minimum effort. It feels token and slap dashed, which is a little bad since Firelands and Abyssal Maw were suppose, according to my knowledge, be launch included. It feels as if these daily quests are just a stall tactic in my honest opinion. It feels as if we are paying the same we have been for years for the bare minimum of content.

This recent expansion is actually the slowest in terms of content production. Burning Crusade was much faster in terms of pushing out content. It even managed multiple raid tiers in short periods of time. Why then is a game that has been around this long actually taking longer to push out content that just isn't as substantial? Is it because they have multiple projects they are working on? Well that can't be it because that would be silly to have only one team working on five different games.

4.1 was another point of contention for me. It just felt like it was something rushed onto stage to stammer and tell some stories about Trolls while Blizzard quickly tried to finish the Firelands behind the curtains. It felt like another stalling tactic, and a reskined one at that. Yes, ZG and ZA were beloved instances in their time. Yes the loot was lovely and yes everyone loves Trolls but what we'd love more than anything is fresh, new content. We would love for new instances, new lore.

It just feels, at least to me, like Blizzard has been putting as little effort as possible into all this. Sure, they remade the world but even then there are spots where it's just a coat of paint over some rust, with Theramore being a perfect example. All of the quests there are exactly the same since Vanilla. They haven't actually changed a single one. You're still discrediting deserters and fighting that kraken in the bay.

I know Blizzard can do amazing things. In fact I saw amazing things in Wrath of the Lich King, in fact I'm still exploring Northrend. Blizzard, I love you guys, you've provided a few years of wonderful entertainment for me and many others but it just feels like you heart isn't in it any more. There are things that need to be addressed and to be totally honest they have been danced around long enough.

Where is Abyssal Maw? Where is our multiple raids/instances per content? Where is the Lore? Where is Deathwing? Where is everything you've promised? Path of the Titans? Dance Studio? Updated player models?

We crave more content per major patch and we crave something more. We were promised a three course meal, and we were expecting just that. What we've been given so far has been rolls. Delicious, tasty, wonderful rolls...but they just aren't the meal we've been promised.
Edited by Tokíjin on 6/9/2011 2:52 PM PDT
85 Troll Hunter
06/09/2011 02:56 PMPosted by Willowfrond
What is this Project Titan?

No one knows. People assume it's their next major MMO, however. The thing is Project Titan has, or at least it should have, a different development team. People can't just say "project titan explains everything!"

We're paying the same price we have been since Vanilla, but this is the most barebones expansion to date.
Edited by Tokíjin on 6/9/2011 2:59 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
Blizzard is not done with World of Warcraft. You know it, everyone on the forums knows it, and every player that logs on knows it.
85 Troll Hunter
It feels like it. Sure, they still release things, and sure expansions will keep coming but will it be more of this 1 raid per tier? More dailies? More rushed together rehashes of old content?

NEXT EXPAC, NAX 3.0!
100 Human Mage
Given up? No.

Going in the wrong direction currently? Yes.
85 Human Warrior
Oh no, Daily Quests are bland.

Protip? Any quest you have to make available EVERY DAY is going to be bland. Why? Because you're doing it daily.

And if they weren't dull? People wouldn't do them. Daily quests are designed for people who just want to grind gold and rep- not people looking for a challenge, or looking for excitement. You want that? Go raid.
85 Human Mage
I don't know it. It really does seem like they're giving the minimum to stall but not stop cancelled subscriptions lately
85 Troll Hunter
06/09/2011 02:59 PMPosted by Donato
Do you know how amazing phasing is? Why would you want another instance when you can do quests that change the world infront of you, and give you nice rewards?

Because the instance was promised. Because those quests are daily grinds. It's the Sholazar Basin again. The same five quests done over and over the grind up rep with something that will become obsolete next patch. It's staling. It's sawdust, a simple filler. It's not substantial in any way, shape or form.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I completely agree with you. I think that they are too busy focusing more on the new MMO they announced a couple of years ago.
85 Troll Hunter
Oh no, Daily Quests are bland.

Protip? Any quest you have to make available EVERY DAY is going to be bland. Why? Because you're doing it daily.

And if they weren't dull? People wouldn't do them. Daily quests are designed for people who just want to grind gold and rep- not people looking for a challenge, or looking for excitement. You want that? Go raid.

And if you don't like raiding?
06/09/2011 03:02 PMPosted by Tokíjin
The same five quests done over and over the grind up rep with something that will become obsolete next patch

Psst, go play in the PTR, its waaaaaay more than 5 daily quests.

Also, why do you care about another raiding instance, you haven't even began raiding. Oh, wait, don't tell me, that's your alt and you have another toon decked out in heroic gear, farming Sinestra, stashed somewhere else. Amirite?
85 Undead Mage
tl;dr

BUT

It ~feels~ as if WoW is dying out. I could be wrong but that's how it feels to me. I hope that is not the case.
06/09/2011 03:03 PMPosted by Tokíjin
And if you don't like raiding?

The second instance was a raid instance too, not a 5-man heroic.
85 Troll Hunter
06/09/2011 03:04 PMPosted by Murianna
The same five quests done over and over the grind up rep with something that will become obsolete next patch

Psst, go play in the PTR, its waaaaaay more than 5 daily quests.

Also, why do you care about another raiding instance, you haven't even began raiding. Oh, wait, don't tell me, that's your alt and you have another toon decked out in heroic gear, farming Sinestra, stashed somewhere else. Amirite?

Nah. I don't actually raid all that often. I'm more of a pve-pvper with some roleplay once and awhile. This is my main.

I'm just feeling like even someone such as myself can notice the lack of content. It's actually making it harder to enjoy the game when I keep running out of things to do.
100 Tauren Druid
I don't think they have given up on WoW but I do think some of the things they are planning on adding or have talked about possibly adding to the game are tests to see how well it works out for there new game.
Why test something and see how a few people react to it when you can test it and see how thoushands react to it.
85 Troll Hunter

And a instance, isnt a time filler that will be obsolete next patch?

There are 60 random daily quests.. not 5 as you mentioned.

Also, there are other patches coming soon, and a legendary weapon in 4.3. I'm sure they will add what you want eventually. Don;t be so mad they didn't add it this patch. It probably wasn't ready.

Of those 60 how many do you get a day? How often will you have to do them?

I've been waiting for nearly a year for some substantial content to rear it's head. Something to get me excited or psyched up to raid. A new orange weapon is something I could care less about.

I'm not mad, just concerned. It feels like the bare minimum effort is being put into the content while still they continue to ask for the same price that they did in BC, which had vast amounts of content compared to Cata.
06/09/2011 03:06 PMPosted by Tokíjin
I'm just feeling like even someone such as myself can notice the lack of content. It's actually making it harder to enjoy the game when I keep running out of things to do.

Blizzard is not done with WoW, but clearly you are.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]