Call to Arms - An updated Arms PvE Guide

85 Troll Warrior
Level 85 Arms Warrior Raiding Guide

As we all know, balance changes occur almost every patch. For that reason, all the information in this guide is subject to change, I will do my best to update it as swiftly as possibly when something changes. I also suggest that when a new patch comes out with Arms Warrior changes you come back here and see if anything changed. [I will be posting any changes and their date in a post below the guide for quicker reference] It is also very possibly that i miss something, or post something wrong, obviously not deliberately trying to misinform but it happens, so feel free to point out if I missed something or you feel that something I say is not correct. In a civil manner please, no trolling.

Table of Contents/Quick links

I. TALENTS & GLYPHS: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2661297161#2

II. STATS, PRIORITIES AND REFORGING: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2661297161#4

III. GEMS, ENCHANTS, CONSUMABLES AND PROFESSIONS: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2661297161#4

IV ROTATION AND COOLDOWNS: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2661297161#5

Change Log:

Sunday, 12 June - First Version of the Guide is complete, Enjoy and vote for sticky!
Firelands Patch: Altough this patch delivered a solid 6% Nerf to Arms, It doesnt affect our stats or rotations at all.
Edited by Edgë on 6/30/2011 4:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
I. TALENTS & GLYPHS

Talent Specialization

Level 85 Raid Specialization with the required talents:
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LG0cfRMRurkcr

Although necessary to work our way down the Arms tree, the following talents are considered fillers and are therefore not required:

Drums of War [T2]
Throwdown [T6]

Talent Brakedown

Mandatory Talents:

Arms Tree:

War Academy: 15% Damage Increase to Mortal Strike and Slam, no need to explain this one. The buff to Victory Rush is also a nice little life saver.

Deep Wounds: Although it is not a noticeable amount of damage per tick this bleed adds up to a lot of damage over the course of a raid. Up-time is greatly benefited by Overpower having an extremely high crit chance from talents.

Taste for Blood: One of the main mechanics of Arms Warriors, this talent allows us to use Overpower when our Rend ability deals damage. It also increases the Crit Chance of Overpower by 60%, making it one of our best talents.

Impale: Increases the Critical Damage of our top 3 damaging abilities, Mortal Strike - Overpower - Slam, by 20%. Must have for obvious reasons.

Sweeping Strikes: Some players don't consider this to be a mandatory talent because it doesn't actually increase our single target dps. However, the main advantage of an Arms Warrior, is the ability to do insanely high AoE burst. Sweeping Strikes is a very important tool for us, and is therefore a must have.

Improved Slam: Reduces the Cast-time of our hardest hitting ability, allowing us to use it when Mortal Strike and Overpower aren't available. Must Have.

Deadly Calm: Our only exclusive cool-down, excellent ability to add burst via Heroic Strike spam. Must have due to the fact that many current fights are very demanding in terms of dps and burn phases.

Blood Frenzy: An excellent raid wide buff to Physical and Bleed damage on the target, and an increase in rage generation per swing. Must have talent, regardless of the fact that other classes carry the buff. The extra rage results in Arms Warriors never being rage-starved.

Lambs to the Slaughter: The main mechanic of the Arms tree, we owe a great deal to this talent for its part in making Arms PvE viable once again. Mortal Strike refreshes Rend, making it easier to focus on mechanics instead of having to track Rend. And it also provides a buff that stacked to 3 gives us 30% increased damage to our top damaging abilities. Amazing talent.

Juggernaut: Not only this talent allows us to charge in combat, making it an incredible tool for mobility during fights, it also gives us extra burst via increase Mortal Strike Crit Chance after Charge. It also unlocks Throwdown and Bladestorm.

Sudden Death: Colossus Smash adds a great deal of damage to our total, this talent procs of any melee hit including our Mastery. It is very RNG dependent, but when the stars align and you manage near 100% up-time on CS your dps will scare even the baddest boss. It also allows us to keep some rage after using Execute, which makes us even deadlier during the sub 20% phase of any boss.

Wrecking Crew: Mortal Strike Critical's now enrage you increasing your damage dealt. Not much to explain, great talent overall, fairly high up-time and allows you to time Deadly Calm with this and Trinket/Weapon Enchant procs to put some extra damage in the boss.

Bladestorm: The ultimate AoE ability, the thing that makes other classes jealous (besides our beards). Bladestorm is no longer an ability we use for single target dps as a cooldown, but It makes us the hardest hitting Burst AoE DPS in the game, even if its for a few seconds. Great for add fights.

Fury Tree:

Battle Trance: Gives us a 15% chance of getting a free ability after a Mortal Strike hit, typically you wanna time a Heroic Strike with it, since you shouldnt have Rage problems for your other abilities anyways.

Cruelty: Come on, this one even sounds Warriory. Added Critical Chance to our Mortal Strike, not much to be said about it.

Executioner: Provides an attack speed buff during Execute phases, adding not only melee swings but also Mastery procs and enough rage for an extra heroic strike every now and then.

Rude Interruption: Contrary to what many warriors say, at least one point in this talent is mandatory. A 5% damage buff in any fight with interrupts adds up to a lot, proof of it comes in the form of Logs for the Maloriak and Halfus encounters.
Edited by Edgë on 6/12/2011 4:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
Optional/Filler Talents

Arms Tree:

Field Dressing vs. Blitz: The benefits of Blitz in a raid scenario are limited to trash, I believe no adds in any encounter can be stunned so this talent is eclipsed by Field Dressing due to the fact that 6% extra healing can mean a lot in healing intensive fights (most of the heroic modes in the current tier) Neither option is great, but overall the best one for raiding is Field Dressing.

Drums of War vs. Second-Wind vs. Tactical Mastery: Drums of War makes our Pummel ability free, which added to Rude Interruption in the Fury tree it makes us the optimal interrupting class for any encounter. Second-Wind is a fairly terrible talent for PvE given the lack of Stun and Immobilize mechanics in current fights. Tactical Mastery is only chosen if youre going to be Stance Dancing for max dps, this is a more advanced version of Arms Warrior dps. For a regular non stance dancing raiding spec my personal choice is Drums of War, this is obviously only applicable if youre going to be interrupting in your raid, may wanna put points into Second-Wind if youre certain you wont interrupt.

Prot Tree:

Incite vs Blood and Thunder: Incite is a very slight dps increase for Arms since we dont really have much room for Heroic Strike except during Deadly Calm. Blood and Thunder on the other hand is a fairly significant AoE dps increase. Blood and Thunder is the standard choice.

Glyphs

Prime:

Glyph of Slam Glyph of Mortal Strike Glyph of Overpower

You can swap Glyph of Slam for Glyph of Bladestorm in the Halfus Wyrmbraker encounter and on Heroic Maloriak, however no other encounter benefits from that swap.

Major:

Glyph of Cleaving is the only Must Have. Glyph of Sweeping Strikes is highly recommended but not game-changing. The third slot can be Glyph of Long Charge for extra mobility, or Glyph of Colossus Smash if youre stuck with Sunder Armor duty. All other options are viable, but the aforementioned are by far the most beneficial.

Minor: Glyph of Berserker Rage Glyph of Battle are the better choices. The third slot can be filled with Glyph of Enduring Victory which is nice for intense healing phases with adds, or Glyph of Intimidating Shout in case you have to fear trash in a panic moment and dont want to risk pulling trash around.
Edited by Edgë on 6/27/2011 1:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
II. STATS, PRIORITIES AND REFORGING

Stat Priority:

Hit(8%) > Strength > Expertise(26) > Crit > Mastery > Haste

Strength: Our best stat point per point, nothing increases our damage like more Str.

Hit: 8% is our hit cap, this is equivalent to 961 Hit Rating. Any Hit rating over 8% should be reforged into something else, we don't use our melee swings enough to benefit from extra hit.

Expertise: Regardless of what simulators tell you, Arms Warriors MUST be expertise capped at 26 which is equivalent to 781 Expertise rating. Anything over that number should be reforged to a more useful stat.

Critical Strike Rating: Our best secondary stat after caps. You want as much as possibly without going under your Hit/Expertise caps. No such thing as too much Crit.

Mastery: A fairly good stat that increases our chance to hit with Strikes of Opportunity. Mastery is increasingly good and should be our main focus in any item that already has Crit Rating.

Haste: Nothing worse than haste, its everywhere and we dont really benefit much from it. Reforge out of it.

Reforging:

1) On items that have Crit Rating and Haste, use the Haste to cap Hit and Expertise.
2) Any item that doesn't have Crit Rating should have one of the stats reforged into it.
3) Any item that already has Crit Rating should have its other secondary stat reforged into Mastery.

III. GEMS, ENCHANTS, CONSUMABLES AND PROFESSIONS

Gems:

Red Sockets: Bold Inferno Ruby
Yellow Sockets with Strength Bonus: Inscribed Ember Topaz
Blue Sockets with Strength Bonus: Etched Demonseye
Meta: Reverberating Shadowspirit Diamond

If the socket bonus is not Strength, then use Bold Inferno Ruby. You can also use Etched Demonseye in red sockets if you're in dire need of Hit Rating.

Enchants:

Head: Arcanum of the Dragonmaw - Arcanum of the Wildhammer
Shoulders: Greater Inscription of Jagged Stone
Back: Enchant Cloak - Greater Critical Strike
Chest: Enchant Chest - Peerless Stats
Wrists: Enchant Bracer - Major Strength
Gloves: Enchant Gloves - Mighty Strength
Belt: Ebonsteel Belt Buckle with Bold Inferno Ruby
Pants: Dragonscale Leg Armor
Boots: Enchant Boots - Lavawalker
Weapon: Enchant Weapon - Landslide

Consumables:

Flask: Flask of Titanic Strength
Potion: Golemblood Potion
Food: Seafood Magnifique Feast or Beer-Basted Crocolisk

Professions

The current competitive choices for Arms Warriors are:

Blacksmithing: Provides one extra socket for your Gloves and Bracers. +80 Strength bonus.

Jewelcrafting: Provides three Bold Chimera's Eye. +81 Strength bonus.

Leatherworking: Provides a 130 Strength enchant to bracers. +80 Strength bonus.

Engineering: Provides a 480 Strength "On Use" effect to your gloves, which when used on CD adds up to roughly +80 Strength over the course of a fight. It also provides a massive movement boost for 5 seconds.

Enchanting: Provides a +40 Strength enchant for your rings. Total of +80 Strength.

Alchemy: Provides and extra 80 Strength from your Flask of Titanic Strength

The ideal combination is Jewelcrafting + Blacksmithing. This allows you to use the 2 extra sockets for Bold Dragon's Eye therefore increasing the stat bonus even further.
Edited by Edgë on 6/20/2011 2:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
IV ROTATION AND COOLDOWNS

Rotation

Arms follows a Priority System rather than a Set Rotation.

Single Target:

Charge -> Rend is your basic opener. Mortal Strike will take care of keeping Rend up through the Lambs to the Slaughter talent.

Once you have Rend up on the boss your priority becomes:

Colossus Smash > Mortal Strike > Overpower

Colossus Smash procs through Sudden Death should be used to maximize up-time, you do not want to clip the duration of CS. If you have CS up and Sudden Death procs, wait till your current CS drops and then refresh it.

Slam should be used as much as Rage/GCD allows without clipping Mortal Strike.

Heroic Strike should only be used when you have 70+ rage, or on Battle Trance procs.

AoE:

If theres 3 or more mobs:

Charge > Rend > Mortal Strike > Thunder Clap > Bladestorm

Once Bladestorm is over, use Sweeping Strike then follow your Single Target priority but replace Slam for Thunder Clap.

If theres only 2 mobs:

Charge > Rend > Thunder Clap > Sweeping Strikes

Follow your Single Target priority while using Thunder Clap to keep rend up on the target youre not attacking. (Mortal Strike will be refreshing the one youre attacking so pay attention to the timer on your other mob)

AoE Burst:

Charge > Mortal Strike > Sweeping Strikes > Bladestorm

When in an AoE scenario, regardless of how many mobs there is, Cleave replaces Heroic Strike in the rotation.

Execute Phase:

Your priority becomes
5x Execute (without letting the Slaughter buff fall) ->Colossus Smash > Mortal Strike > Execute

If you have Tier 11 4pc Set Bonus, you should use Overpower once every 25 seconds to keep the bonus up.

You can also switch to Berserker Stance once this phase begins in order to benefit from the 5% extra damage. You cant keep your 4pc bonus up without switching stances to Overpower every 25 seconds but the damage buff makes up for it. Priority remains the same.

Cooldowns

Deadly Calm: Removes all rage costs from our abilities. Should be used when you need extra burst. Also good if you ever find yourself rage starved.

Inner Rage: You shouldn't really find yourself with so much rage that you need Inner Rage during a fight. The only points where this spell is actually useful are AoE settings where you have extra rage and wanna Cleave spam, or during a burn phase where you have Bloodlust/Heroism and a 5 stack of Executioner and you may have some extra rage.

Recklessness: Not the greatest talent to be using during a fight since it involves switching to Berserker Stance to be used. Its good to start a fight.

Advanced Rotation

If you're the kind of raider that wants to do this, then you probably know it before I mention it and are wondering why did I leave it out of the guide. Well, I left Stance Dancing out of the main part of the guide and put it last because regardless of how simple it really is, its definitely not something every warrior can do properly.

With Mortal Strike refreshing Rend, the only ability that requires us to be in Battle Stance is Overpower. Since Overpower becomes available when Rend deals damage we can track when the attack is going to be ready. This leads us to the following:

Max DPS Arms:

Once Rend is up, you switch stances to Berserker and follow your regular rotation, switching back to Battle Stance in order to use Overpower and then again to Berserker. This results on a 5% damage buff for Mortal Strike and Slam.

For this to work properly you must take the Tactical Mastery talent in the second tier of the Arms Tree.

Stance Dancing can be done through 2 very simple macros, one with Battle Stance switch and Overpower, and one with Berserker Stance switch and Mortal Strike. HOWEVER, this method of playing is affected by your latency and fps, so be careful when using it.

Arms Stance Dance Macros:

#showtooltip mortal strike
/cast berserker stance
/cast mortal strike

#showtooltip Overpower
/cast battle stance
/cast Overpower
Edited by Edgë on 6/20/2011 2:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I personally like to use Heroic throw, CS, Long charge for my majors. Prevents me from ever needing to put sunder on my bars. Just an option to throw out there. =)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
Turns out i didnt need the room.

Enjoy.
Edited by Edgë on 6/12/2011 5:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
06/12/2011 02:34 AMPosted by Edgë
Field Dressing vs. Blitz: The benefits of Blitz in a raid scenario are limited to trash, I believe no adds in any encounter can be stunned so this talent is eclipsed by Field Dressing due to the fact that 6% extra healing can mean a lot in healing intensive fights (most of the heroic modes in the current tier) Neither option is great, but overall the best one for raiding is Field Dressing.

Blitz is excellent on Cho'gall. You neglected to mention the extra rage gain from Blitz, too.
As for your stat priorities, 8% Hit > Strength.
As for your professions, you forgot to add Alchemy. Double duration flasks and a +80 Strength bonus on them too.
Edited by ßamf on 6/12/2011 5:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior

Blitz is excellent on Cho'gall. You neglected to mention the extra rage gain from Blitz, too.
As for your professions, you forgot to add Alchemy. Double duration flasks and a +80 Strength bonus on them too.

I know Blitz has some applications, but the fact is that when it comes down to overall benefit through a full raid Field Dressing comes on top easily. You may benefit from Blitz once in a whole raid, making it a fairly bad talent.

As for the rest, yeah my brain glitched on the stat priorities, already fixed it. And ohyah Alchemy doesnt suck anymore.

What would i ever do without you, lol
Edited by Edgë on 6/12/2011 5:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior

I know Blitz has some applications, but the fact is that when it comes down to overall benefit through a full raid Field Dressing comes on top easily. You may benefit from Blitz once in a whole raid, making it a fairly bad talent.

As for the rest, yeah my brain glitched on the stat priorities, already fixed it. And ohyah Alchemy doesnt suck anymore.

Well, currently the added rage on Blitz is useful because of the charge bug, but yeah, in the next 2 weeks it'll be debatable.
For now, however, it really isn't.
EDIT: Requested sticky, requested the current guide be taken down.
EDIT2:
06/12/2011 02:42 AMPosted by Edgë
Heroic Strike should only be used when you have 70+ rage, or on Battle Trance procs.

Simcraft says 85+ rage, which I've found to be most agreeable as well.
Edited by ßamf on 6/12/2011 5:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior

Well, currently the added rage on Blitz is useful because of the charge bug, but yeah, in the next 2 weeks it'll be debatable.
For now, however, it really isn't.
EDIT: Requested sticky, requested the current guide be taken down.
EDIT2:
06/12/2011 02:42 AMPosted by Edgë

Simcraft says 85+ rage, which I've found to be most agreeable as well.

85 rage is the safer bet, its there cause it allows MS + Slam, If you wanna play it close you can even do it as soon as you get over 55 rage, but ideally anything over 70. Even then, I barely use HS at all.

Blitz is a solid choice, if youre not raiding HMs. Even in some normal mode fights the 6% is a lifesaver.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
taking blitz over field dressing is a horrible idea for raiding

stance dancing isn't really super important but if you feel so inclined the macro is

#showicon mortal strike
/cast berserker stance
/cast mortal strike

repeat for everything else
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Bump fore great justice. Sticky requested. Arms guide needs an update.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Curious as to why glyph of cleave is listed as mandatory, with no mention of cleave in the aoe rotation.
Edited by Crinthys on 6/12/2011 1:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
good job edge!

One thing I would consider adding would a section for proc mangement (addons) beyond just Power Auras.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
good job edge!

One thing I would consider adding would a section for proc mangement (addons) beyond just Power Auras.

Good catch. Like I said far from perfect and still a work in progress.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

Added the cleave part in AoE.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Provides three Bold Dragon's Eye. +81 Strength bonus.

wrong gem listed
should be Bold Chimera's Eye
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]