Battle.net Authenticator Changes

85 Goblin Shaman
While I like the idea, I was flipping out when I logged in and it didnt ask. I started to panic like I had been hacked. I quickly logged out. Went to Bnet and sure enough there it ask. I guess what Im trying to say is this could have been explained a bit better.
90 Night Elf Rogue
If they are young enough to need times set to play they are probably NOT old enough to play unsupervised.
53 Human Priest
I would rather have the option to input my small 6 digit code each login. It really is not that bad and I would rather have the security then not.
85 Draenei Shaman
THANK you ...phew.. I was scarred for a second.
90 Orc Hunter
You guys honestly take blizzard a multi-billion dollar company as fools?
If you think for a second that they didn't look through every single little flaw for this you are out of your mind.
85 Tauren Paladin
This should be an on/off toggle or it's fail. Come on Blizzard. Don't be stupid. It can't be that hard to give us the choice.
85 Blood Elf Priest
Would this work for the website as well, atleast to be able to post stuff. im tired of having to log in every few hours to make a post or reply.
93 Tauren Druid
If you think for a second that they didn't look through every single little flaw for this you are out of your mind.

One word: SONY.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
IS there anyway to make this optional? i have multiple people who use this computer and this was one ofthe reasons i bought the autenticator.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
06/16/2011 05:24 PMPosted by Khaarg
Might wanna read up on BGP, chief.

No, I think you should. Then come here and explain to all of us, how you, on any network, can casually use the routable IP address of another network and have all traffic routed to you.

Well...BGP is how you announce routes to particular IPs and IP ranges....perhaps that might have something to do with routing packets to the destination I want. And perhaps if I'm closer to you than the real host, my route will reach you before the "real" host can send out a correction. And perhaps such routing instructions can take a long time to propagate, so it could take a while to remove my contaminated routing instructions. And perhaps there's a history of security holes in BGP implementations.

Naaaaaah. Must be imagining it.
85 Draenei Shaman
I would much prefer to be able to opt out of this. I don't mind taking the extra 5 seconds to enter a 6 digit number.
85 Human Death Knight
This is a catastrophically bad idea. If thieves have tricked someone into downloading a keylogger to get the login info, they can just as easily immediately fake a login to bnet2.0 from the victim's machine.

Edit -- I said they would use a keylogger to get the authcode, when obviously they don't need that any more, just the login. Also, /facepalm

If they tried to login in from somewhere else, it would ask the for the code, wich they can't key log from you since you didn't put it in.

This is absolutely unacceptable!

If other people have access to or control of a PC you regularly log in from <a pc at work, school, your roomates pc, your relatives pc !!!!> they can now simply keylog your info and then use your wow acccount.

The authenticator was the one saving grace.........not any more.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make this an *optional* feature!

They'll keylog your stuff AND Use it on the same PC? If that was the case the problem is with you chooseing crummy freinds. I Will state this again. If they key log the stuff and try to log in from somewhere you've never been, it will ask for the code. If they can't get in, it will keep asking for the code.
Edited by Frostqueenie on 6/16/2011 5:36 PM PDT
90 Draenei Warrior

All I have to do to refute your example is think "Sony" - which is actually what I thought had happened earlier today when I didn't get an authenticator prompt. I thought maybe Blizzard finally got targeted and the authentication systems were taken offline.

I think anyone, whether it's a multi-billion dollar company or an individual, that decides to launch a major change in a security system with *no* warning, is a fool. They could have easily announced that they were working on this system earlier, but once again, it's distributed to the community without any advance warning.
100 Blood Elf Hunter
I know of players who do not have their own internet, they play from the same computer at the same internet cafe. They use an Authenticator to protect their account from "prying eyes", who my be reading the account names and passwords, over their shoulder.

Under this new system as soon as they the cafe, these "prying eyes" could then get on the same computer, log on to their B-Net account and rob them blind. The same applies to Collage dorm, roommates, spiteful girlfriends, and little brothers.
85 Worgen Death Knight
Please allow an "opt out" option for this. I bought an authenticator for a reason.

Take a look, Blizzard: Sony, Nintendo, etc, etc. The list goes on and on. You're just opening yourself to being hacked and added to the list.

IP spoofing...ever think of that?

This is such a horrible idea.
100 Human Paladin
It sounds great to me, thanks!
90 Orc Hunter

Well with their track record of bugs in the game its hard to think they consider "every little flaw".

You're seriously comparing minor bugs to account security?
They have different teams at blizzard that work with different things you know.
Edited by Kulthor on 6/16/2011 5:32 PM PDT
85 Troll Druid
Blizzard, I really hope you read these comments; first off, as numerously mentioned above, I LIKE having to put in my code.

Why? Cause it gives me piece of mind. See, I paid for this security for a reason. I'm going to repeat that:

I paid for this security for a reason!

If I'm not putting in a code, the safe feeling is gone, and therefore, the piece of mind as well.

If you want to change this for some silly convenient feature, then make it optional.
Edited by Zultok on 6/16/2011 5:42 PM PDT
85 Tauren Paladin
This is a terrible idea blizz, it goes against the whole reason why I bought an authenticator!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]