Ask a Developer is not working.

24 Night Elf Priest
I was reading on wowjoystiq.com a column where the author claims the Ask a Developer: Tank thread didn't really work. I had recently tried to tank as a feral druid and also felt that the thread was a little lacking. I just couldn't put my finger on what.

If Blizzard has not had anyone read that column, you really should. It really did point out to me that feral tanking was not the way to go. And that if I really wanted to tank, I'd better level a warrior or paladin instead (and probably a paladin at that.)

I'd also like to throw in my two coppers on this feature: first, who's answering the questions? To be quite honest, I miss Ghostcrawler.

Second, the questions answered are often things that have been asked in the past Or just downright shouldn't have been answered at all. Case in point was the question about DPS health bars. Why were the developers answering that question in a "Tanking" thread? I thought the rules stated you had to be on topic. I'm surprised no one said "This is a DPS question. Why are we answering it?" Because it was highly rated?

I've also noticed that a lot of these "Ask the Developer" types of threads are used for a while and then inexplicably die. For example, the lore section had two rounds of answering our questions promising more and have yet to return. I have to wonder if after the DPS thread is answered, the quesiton threads will stop.

I'm not expecting a blue response. I actually expect this opinion thread will simply fall off the first page and in to obscurity. But there is no Suggestion forum any longer and no guarentee Blizzard would read this anyway. But at least I posted my thoughts. And besides, the "Ask the Developers" threads are locked.
Edited by Madia on 6/14/2011 8:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
i read the entire tanking thread yesterday and i was nothing short of a disaster.

it was offensive even.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
At least they're answering questions. By the way WoW Insider sucks
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
06/15/2011 09:25 AMPosted by Blackriver
At least they're answering questions. By the way WoW Insider sucks

you didnt read the tanking atd.

edit = and do you even know what your guild name means?
Edited by Recognize on 6/15/2011 9:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I feel like they want to look like they are addressing concerns rather than actually addressing concerns.

06/15/2011 09:25 AMPosted by Blackriver
By the way WoW Insider sucks

I've noticed this recently too. Not much content. A lot of the problems in that article apply to their site too. Doesn't make the article less true, but at the same time, I read all those problems on the tanking forum the day the tanking answers came out.
Reply Quote
06/14/2011 08:01 PMPosted by Madia
I was reading on wowjoystiq.com

That was your first mistake. WoWInsider is the National Enquirer of WoW news sites. They also have no grounds to criticize...have you ever read some of the retarded questions they answer in "The Queue"?

The ATD is working perfectly. People ask questions, the community votes, and the ones with the highest votes get answered.

If you do not like them, it is your fault for not voting up good questions and down voting bad ones. (I know down votes do not count but they can still bury a question and that will be the end of it)
Edited by Solaru on 6/15/2011 9:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
06/15/2011 09:22 AMPosted by Recognize
it was offensive even.
at least it wasn't a slap in the face.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
06/15/2011 09:33 AMPosted by Solaru
The ATD is working perfectly. People ask questions, the community votes, and the ones with the highest votes get answered.
Did you read the tanking answers? Maybe you didn't notice the lack of answers to the questions they selected. That was a big point of the article.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
I feel like they want to look like they are addressing concerns rather than actually addressing concerns.

By the way WoW Insider sucks

I've noticed this recently too. Not much content. A lot of the problems in that article apply to their site too. Doesn't make the article less true, but at the same time, I read all those problems on the tanking forum the day the tanking answers came out.

Not only this but their writers are not very knowledgeable.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
06/15/2011 09:35 AMPosted by Eru
Did you read the tanking answers? Maybe you didn't notice the lack of answers to the questions they selected. That was a big point of the article.

answering the taunt question is unacceptable.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
ask the devs is just a tool to placate people into believing they are being listened to it feels like.
What they answer 10 questions?
Reply Quote
06/15/2011 09:35 AMPosted by Eru

First...they did not select them...we did. I think that you and many others just did not like the answers, I found them OK.

06/15/2011 09:38 AMPosted by Recognize

Then maybe you (the rest of the community) should have not have voted it so high? I know I would have voted it down.
Edited by Solaru on 6/15/2011 9:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Not to be too pessimistic but I find the Ask a Developer segments to be a waste of time. Because, let's face it, they are now in a competitive MMO market. Anything they say will be held against them. Really the only things they can say is......

We like the way _________ is/are preforming. Someday we will go back and improve on _________ but that will not happen for some time. For now, __________ is/are working above our expectations.

<insert the optional subtext>
Patch 4.X will be exciting

You can tell me I am wrong, but I stopped reading after the first Ask a developer and I still haven't missed anything by looking at the Wowinsider article. I don't expect anything from the damage dealing thread either. I also know the people who are expecting answers to questions in that thread are going to be greatly disappointed.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight

First...they did not select them...we did. I think that you and many others just did not like the answers, I found them OK.

Then maybe you (the rest of the community) should have not have voted it so high? I know I would have voted it down.

@ Solaru - i have enjoyed many of your posts over a long while. but your defense of blizz here is a touch naive.

they are a cooperate machine - and i actually like that. but...i dont buy we voted that stupid question all the way to the top- and even if we did - the dude answering should have had some tact.

where is the consideration here? that question would have been stupid if it were asked a full year earlier.

blizz is in full court press PR mode.

edit = <---im recognize btw
Edited by Doubleagent on 6/15/2011 10:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@ Solaru - i have enjoyed many of your posts over a long while. but your defense of blizz here is a touch naive.

they are a cooperate machine - and i actually like that. but...i dont buy we voted that stupid question all the way to the top- and even if we did - the dude answering should have had some tact.

If you look at the question, it is from the Latin American forum. There might have been a push either there or on one of the LA servers to vote it up. It might not have taken much either(not a very active forum). If you were the GM of a mega guild and got all your members and maybe a few other guilds together...it might happen.

So what do we want to do here. Have Blizz not answer questions that are highly voted (even if it is because the ballot box was stuffed) or do we want them to answer the questions we, the community, vote most popular?

Let's just say...for the sake of argument...That it was a ringer tossed in. I still say "so what". I have liked the many times that Blizz has not taken themselves so serious in the past.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
if i am answering the concerns of any base, i would simply ignore the ones that have already been resolved, especially if we are dealing with limited resources (time/ space).

if it was me, and i gave a flying sht about my company - i would attach a pdf and answer every single one.

that or i wouldnt answer at all. i get they are playing a dicey game answering "random" questions. either do it or dont.

they seem to want it all here. street cred for being accessible to the players - but corp cred by not lending themselves to tough questions.

we can disagree here - but this is how i see it.
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Hunter
Which questions do you feel weren't answered?

In previous Ask the Developer Questions threads, you were able to use the forum search to view posts in that thread and then sort them by popularity. The highest-voted questsions were always the ones that were answered. For some reason I couldn't get a search set up to show specifically the posts in the tanking Questions thread. I'm not sure why.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I'm not going to bother getting into the specifics of what was answered or why or any fansite articles bashing the process; it's been covered many times before.

But, at the core, I think we agree it's not working. While we could (and do) lament over the reasons why a scheduled Q&A based on question popularity doesn't sit well with people, the bottom line is it can't go on as it is.

We don't expect people will ever be completely happy with any Q&A. Regardless of how they're conducted we'll never get to every question, so there are always going to be complaints that we didn't answer the right ones. But Ask the Devs is different. While there are certainly arguments that answers didn't say the right things, or didn't give a firm answer on how a problem would be resolved, the process just doesn't work because of the format.

We've spent a lot of time discussing why it doesn't work, and while that's interesting to us, the bottom line is that once we've finished the role Q&A's with healers, we will be ending the Ask the Dev series.

Our goal with Ask the Devs was always to increase interaction with the developers, to provide a direct conduit to their thoughts and process. We're in the planning stages for a new Q&A process that will replace Ask the Devs, and while we're absolutely certain people will continue to be upset we didn't answer every question, we think it will overall be a far more successful approach.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

Yes, we as a community selected them. So let's take an example to spell it out again.

Q: Have you considered normalizing initial Rage for feral druid tanks? For example, when a warrior uses Charge, it generates 15 points of Rage, which lets them use another aggro generating ability quickly, something that Feral druids tend to be a bit short on. Why in Cataclysm was the bear bonus health pool was reduced, as well? Their survivability always depended on the amount of health since they don’t have parry or shield block. Do you have any plans to improve bear tanking in the future? At the moment, it’s considered to be the weakest tank. Have you considered giving druid tanks an additional tool to pull casters at range? It’s the only tank class that doesn’t have a talent or spell to help in those situations. – Pødêrøsø (LA), Вирко (EU-RU), Амелья (EU-RU), Condenacion (EU-ES), Whitewnd (KR)

A: Bears are getting a significant mitigation buff in 4.2 and we’re retuning their damage such that it’s a little easier to hold aggro at low gear levels, and a little harder at higher gear levels. While we definitely don’t expect the community to ever agree on anything, we’ve seen little evidence of a widespread concurrence that druids are “the weakest tank.” There are plenty of druid tanks out there, handling everything from Grim Batol to Sinestra. Tank balance overall is in a really good place. Players may focus on potential problems that could arise in the future but we also have ample time to address those problems should they occur. Gone are the days when we would just release a class into the wild and refuse to touch it again until the next expansion.

They chose to combine 4 questions here. They completely ignored the first two. While I find the answers to the other two questions to lack substance, at least they are there. I come away from this question having gained no insight into QOL issues for bears like rage and a simple reason why HP was reduced. So, have you considered normalizing initial Rage for feral druid tanks? Bears got a mitigation buff. Anyway this has been discussed to death in the tanking forums, no need to get into any more specifics here. Point being, they didn't answer questions we picked.

Aaand Bashiok got in before me...
Edited by Eru on 6/15/2011 10:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]