Ask a Developer is not working.

82 Undead Mage
I'm not going to bother getting into the specifics of what was answered or why or any fansite articles bashing the process; it's been covered many times before.

But, at the core, I think we agree it's not working. While we could (and do) lament over the reasons why a scheduled Q&A based on question popularity doesn't sit well with people, the bottom line is it can't go on as it is.

We don't expect people will ever be completely happy with any Q&A. Regardless of how they're conducted we'll never get to every question, so there are always going to be complaints that we didn't answer the right ones. But Ask the Devs is different. While there are certainly arguments that answers didn't say the right things, or didn't give a firm answer on how a problem would be resolved, the process just doesn't work because of the format.

We've spent a lot of time discussing why it doesn't work, and while that's interesting to us, the bottom line is that once we've finished the role Q&A's with healers, we will be ending the Ask the Dev series.

Our goal with Ask the Devs was always to increase interaction with the developers, to provide a direct conduit to their thoughts and process. We're in the planning stages for a new Q&A process that will replace Ask the Devs, and while we're absolutely certain people will continue to be upset we didn't answer every question, we think it will overall be a far more successful approach.

Some things work, some don't. It's not a big deal. Glad you see something that doesn't work, and immediately look for a way to fix it. =)
Reply Quote
Am the only one who thought that wow-insider article was rant-ish and was extremely neck-beard-ish? The writer of the article made his own opinions known and told Blizzard they were wrong for not agreeing with him.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
I'm glad that Blizzard realizes that it's not working too well, but I'm also thankful that they tried and for the information that we did get.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
06/15/2011 10:40 AMPosted by Eru
Aaand Bashiok got in before me...

and his tone sounded kind of sad. It's ok Bash, we know the intentions are good and I trust you guys will keep giving it your best shots.
Reply Quote
82 Undead Mage
06/15/2011 10:44 AMPosted by Areh
Am the only one who thought that wow-insider article was rant-ish and was extremely neck-beard-ish? The writer of the article made his own opinions known and told Blizzard they were wrong for not agreeing with him.

I long ago stopped reading WoW Insider for this very reason, outside the lore articles.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Why can't we just get class Blues again?

Communication between the playerbase and Blizzard has definitely suffered in Cata, but after the insanity of WotLK I can absolutely understand the developers trying to find a better way to communicate.

But as it stands, things are just frustrating. Players aren't really concerned about their issues being addressed, but rather are more concerned that they're even being heard.

I think if you went back to a system where a Blue tried to regularly post on the various class forums, that would build up a relationship between the players and developers a little more and we wouldn't feel so much like we're just flapping in the wind.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Warrior
06/15/2011 10:46 AMPosted by Communism
I'm glad that Blizzard realizes that it's not working too well, but I'm also thankful that they tried and for the information that we did get.

agree with communsim
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
@ Mr. Bashiok

thank you for the post in this thread. you were as straight as can be and i appreciate that.
Reply Quote
82 Undead Mage
06/15/2011 10:54 AMPosted by Mooshield

agree with communsim

Communism really isn't an effective political system. =P
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight
There should be a Q&A on the irritants of WoW so that the developers get sent a big bolded voted up message about what they should be utilizing design resources to fix.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
I'm not going to bother getting into the specifics of what was answered or why or any fansite articles bashing the process; it's been covered many times before.

But, at the core, I think we agree it's not working. While we could (and do) lament over the reasons why a scheduled Q&A based on question popularity doesn't sit well with people, the bottom line is it can't go on as it is.

We don't expect people will ever be completely happy with any Q&A. Regardless of how they're conducted we'll never get to every question, so there are always going to be complaints that we didn't answer the right ones. But Ask the Devs is different. While there are certainly arguments that answers didn't say the right things, or didn't give a firm answer on how a problem would be resolved, the process just doesn't work because of the format.

We've spent a lot of time discussing why it doesn't work, and while that's interesting to us, the bottom line is that once we've finished the role Q&A's with healers, we will be ending the Ask the Dev series.

Our goal with Ask the Devs was always to increase interaction with the developers, to provide a direct conduit to their thoughts and process. We're in the planning stages for a new Q&A process that will replace Ask the Devs, and while we're absolutely certain people will continue to be upset we didn't answer every question, we think it will overall be a far more successful approach.

I think the biggest reason the Ask the Devs "didn't work", was the limited span of time players had to respond (and do so quickly on hot topics), the very limited nature of how they were allowed to ask the questions, and the fact that it was based completely on the limitations of this forum's UI mechanisms. Players can be as snarky as they want (and we really are just that most of the time), but as far as I'm concerned, it comes down to a flat out user unfriendly design structure and the fact that players were essentially fighting each other for a posting spot.

Can I assume that your next attempt at a design change for this venue of communication will be similar to a form based submission process that's open for more time than what the previous ATDs have been open for? I missed many of them, including the tanking one and very notably the damage dealing ATD, which I had a couple questions for at the time, but just gave up when I saw the thread was done with before I had even finished composing the question.

I guess what it boils down to is that the Ask the Devs was more like Ask the Devs (But only if you have no life or activities to do during the day). I realize that no matter what time of day a submission period is restricted to, some people will miss out on it. But the way ATD is set up now, it's almost as if they were only basement dweller material (to use a stereotype for the sake of argument).

Now I'm of no delusion that Ghostcrawler will ever realistically return to the forums in any way even close to what he did last year. It's not only not feasible with his workload, but in reality, there has to be some anonymity with regards to how things work simply because to do otherwise would invite one person taking the flak for everything (again as GC did last year). I'm just looking for a more open and robust submission protocol.

Tiny windows of opportunity where your question may as well have to be written with a laser on the tip of a pinhead aren't fun. Nor are they terribly productive in the rushed input that inevitably occurs when players have no real time to coalesce a coherent thought.

Here's hoping the future iteration of ATD will keep "the rest of us" in mind without being punitively restrictive. :)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

We are very interested in the Dev's thoughts and process. We also want to know that when we raise an issue that X class has Y problem in Z situation, and there's an easy way to fix it without upsetting balance (seemingly), that you at least acknowledge it.

I think it's less about not getting every question answered and more about the vagueness of answers, or the feeling that the Dev team didn't 'get' the question.

In this case you came out and said 'Tanks are balanced'. And most good tanks agree with you. But we still see quality of life issues and potential issues that affect the FUN of the game. That's high priority to most of us, as it is to you.

Anyway looking forward to the new Q&A whatever that may be.
Edited by Eru on 6/15/2011 11:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
While we could (and do) lament over the reasons why a scheduled Q&A based on question popularity doesn't sit well with people

Ok...lets.

Once again the community has ruined something good with complaints because they feel it was not going how they would do it.. So instead of getting some direct feedback sent to and from the devs, we get nothing for now. I was really looking forward to class specific Q&As but oh well. maybe with the new thing.

People will complain when you don't do something and when you do something. Maybe that is all the forums are for...complaints.

Bash, I ,for one, loved them and will indeed lament their loss.
Edited by Solaru on 6/15/2011 11:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
There should be a Q&A on the irritants of WoW so that the developers get sent a big bolded voted up message about what they should be utilizing design resources to fix.

That wouldn't work, you'd have half the community saying elitists are the problem, and the other half blaming casuals.

I think the only thing people would agree on is that the people who aren't themselves are the problem.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight

No offense but, the Blood DK Tanking sub-community did not take well the fact that DK Mastery is both:

- In a good place, according to the Dev's

- An actual model for how other Masteries might work for other Tanks (also, from the Dev's)

To add, in the Tanking Forums, we're currently discussing the features of Blood DK's going minimal avoidance, maxing Haste/Mastery and taking Hit/Expertise to prevent misses and maximize what little defense we have.

The spec (Blood DK) needs a quality of life consideration, I think, and so do many others as well, it seems.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight

I think its wise to end the series and try another route. I would suggest that one of the frustrating things I've heard players say (and felt myself) is that we really have no idea what the criteria for a question to be answered is/was. Just votes? Questions the devs think are important and then what was voted on? It was unclear if we were truly determining which questions got answered or not, at least it was to me and several people I know.

More important, I don't know that a dialogue with the players is really possible at this point. I think the game is simply too large for such a thing. There are too many players and they have too varied an interest for any of them to really feel that a dialogue is possible. People will always feel tanks get more attention than healers or warriors get more attention than bears or class X gets more attention than whatever that particular person is concerned about.

I suppose there's value in trying and I'm certain you understand the community well enough to know that there will always be naysayers. Perhaps outlining specifics about how you feel this communication should work would be a good idea. I think players believe communication means listening to input from the playerbase (and by the playerbase they mean them specifically). Saying you intend to give insight into what the developers are thinking is kind of a vague thing and open to interpretation.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest

I can tell by your wording you (and probably others) are rather disappointed in what has happened so I'll try not stepping on any more toes :(. Communication is when you talk to people, say what's on your mind, and what is bothering you. I understand that working for blizzard means not sharing what is on your mind. On the other hand, thinly veiled responses only serve to confuse players. There is a line of communication that existed that probably never will again now that blizzard is a MMO giant. But surely not all information has to be classified from us?

In any case I know I did my fair share of bashing today, so I just wanted to say thank you.
Reply Quote
ATD Tanking did fail quite hard...and it shouldn't be the community picking the questions it should have been the developers.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
I wouldn't be so offended if the answers weren't so blatently wrong and misleading.

Reminds me of the answer we got to why the Vengeance TT wouldn't be changed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]