Ask a Developer is not working.

85 Dwarf Paladin
06/15/2011 10:46 AMPosted by Communism
I'm glad that Blizzard realizes that it's not working too well, but I'm also thankful that they tried and for the information that we did get.

^^^^ this
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Our goal with Ask the Devs was always to increase interaction with the developers, to provide a direct conduit to their thoughts and process. We're in the planning stages for a new Q&A process that will replace Ask the Devs, and while we're absolutely certain people will continue to be upset we didn't answer every question, we think it will overall be a far more successful approach.

I'd like to see more Dev Watercoolers. Character Design, Class Design, Quest Design, etc... these can all be gone over to give us an insight on what really happens. More frequent Blizzcasts would be nice as well. They don't need to be video, just simple podcasts.

Follow this up with monthly or semi-monthly posts in the Class Role, Quest, Raid and Profession forums stating: "Here are your current concerns, this is what we think, and this is what we'll be doing in upcoming patches to address these." Not just from Greg Street aka Ghostcrawler but from a variety of people working on the game. CMs could gather the concerns and forward them on. These would tell us what you're thinking in designing the game, let us know you're reading the forums without clamoring for a BLUE post and provide feedback, even if it isn't what we want to hear at the moment.

I don't even know if you'll see this or if it will get buried but this is the feedback I would like.
Edited by Sorelai on 6/15/2011 12:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
If Blizzard thinks it needs replacing their must be more wrong than the ungrateful whinners who complained. (They always come out with any atttempt to communicate.)

Here is the code:

"The answers were worthless [insert "wrong", "waste of time" etc.)= I did not agree.
"The players are not being listened too." = I made a suggestion and they did not do it.
"The do not pick good questions." = They did not pick my question, or a question I wanted answered.

And so on.

The good news here, is that the company is still trying to communicate and plan to do so in the future. Oh, and as a foot note. I like(d) the feature.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
I'm not going to bother getting into the specifics of what was answered or why or any fansite articles bashing the process; it's been covered many times before.

But, at the core, I think we agree it's not working. While we could (and do) lament over the reasons why a scheduled Q&A based on question popularity doesn't sit well with people, the bottom line is it can't go on as it is.

We don't expect people will ever be completely happy with any Q&A. Regardless of how they're conducted we'll never get to every question, so there are always going to be complaints that we didn't answer the right ones. But Ask the Devs is different. While there are certainly arguments that answers didn't say the right things, or didn't give a firm answer on how a problem would be resolved, the process just doesn't work because of the format.

We've spent a lot of time discussing why it doesn't work, and while that's interesting to us, the bottom line is that once we've finished the role Q&A's with healers, we will be ending the Ask the Dev series.

Our goal with Ask the Devs was always to increase interaction with the developers, to provide a direct conduit to their thoughts and process. We're in the planning stages for a new Q&A process that will replace Ask the Devs, and while we're absolutely certain people will continue to be upset we didn't answer every question, we think it will overall be a far more successful approach.

Can you give any information on the new process? Will it answer more questions?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
06/15/2011 09:02 AMPosted by Madia
Page 4. Not even twelve hours.

Why is your character portrait still anonymous? I thought that stopped at 10 (or 11). Just curious o.O

That being said I will use this opportunity to say this.

I love that they TRIED. The Blizz Devs and Community Managers are TRYING and I respect that. And we are getting SOME answers. It's not a perfect system, we can now all see that because some answers are just silly. Regardless of high rating the taunt question really should not have been answered. I just recently got a tank to 85 and I already knew the answer.

They are trying though, they want to help, and they want you to learn from them. So I thanks Blizz and the Community Managers and everyone else for setting up GC's blogs, Watercooler, ask the devs, and anything else similar I may have missed.
Thanks from a Warlock. (I still hate you for all the nerfs though :( [I swear it's the shamans, not the locks' fault.])
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
06/15/2011 12:33 PMPosted by Igniz
Page 4. Not even twelve hours.

Why is your character portrait still anonymous? I thought that stopped at 10 (or 11). Just curious o.O

That being said I will use this opportunity to say this.

I love that they TRIED. The Blizz Devs and Community Managers are TRYING and I respect that. And we are getting SOME answers. It's not a perfect system, we can now all see that because some answers are just silly. Regardless of high rating the taunt question really should not have been answered. I just recently got a tank to 85 and I already knew the answer.

They are trying though, they want to help, and they want you to learn from them. So I thank Blizz and the Community Managers and everyone else for setting up GC's blogs, Watercooler, ask the devs, and anything else similar I may have missed.
Thanks from a Warlock. (I still hate you for all the nerfs though :( [I swear it's the shamans, not the locks' fault.])

If you haven't logged in on a certain character in a while it shows up as the shadowy outline.

And I agree that its a good thing they are trying to communicate with the players and I think its a great thing that they are looking at better ways to do so.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
If Blizzard thinks it needs replacing their must be more wrong than the ungrateful whinners who complained. (They always come out with any atttempt to communicate.)

Here is the code:

"The answers were worthless [insert "wrong", "waste of time" etc.)= I did not agree.
"The players are not being listened too." = I made a suggestion and they did not do it.
"The do not pick good questions." = They did not pick my question, or a question I wanted answered.

And so on.

The good news here, is that the company is still trying to communicate and plan to do so in the future. Oh, and as a foot note. I like(d) the feature.

Take it however you like, but I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts on a how Divine Protection is comparable utility to a Feral Innervate.

Or how your very Blood DK Mastery actually pans out with no unintuitive stat interactions or odd break points.

Or how a some poor guy on the LA forums got his question mistranslated and then butchered.

And so on.

Many of the questions WERE in fact bad questions. The moment a question began with "So Paladins can do X, but Ferals..." I already began to groan. Such comparisons are always thinly veiled QQ about grass-is-greener fallacy and the answers were appropriate to that, "Naw, Ferals are great, and we buffed your survivability in Firelands!" Might as well have the DPS ATD be nothing but class QQ comparisons with equally appropriate answers because that's the good such questions do.

But I suppose actually wanting a question that is posted to be... answered at all... is just me stamping me feet like a child right?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
The problem is us, we actually drive the blues away with our rants and QQ trolling and bs spam. I for one think we need to be interactive with the Devs, but we need to control ourselves and post in a calm and constructive manner, I am as guilty as the next guy. But do we really want to lose communication with the team? I feel they are at their wits end with us, and its mainly our faults for acting like spoiled bratish children.

As for the Q&A it was a good idea, I hope they will still communicate with us about class design and issues.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
i don't see all the fuss. Everyone got mad because some of the answers were "we think it's fine." It may not be the answer you wanted because you wanted them to change something. But it is still an answer. Now I know that the devs are looking to keep things the way they are and I can take that into account.

I think tanking is in a good spot right now. I (off)tanked in vanilla on a druid, which was near impossible. And I tanked on this guy in wrath which required me to hit my 2 macros over and over again. Right now it seems easier than vanilla druid and harder than wotlk pally, which is a decent spot to be in.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
06/15/2011 12:40 PMPosted by Fasc
Take it however you like, but I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts on a how Divine Protection is comparable utility to a Feral Innervate.

rooofl, that's some super good logic. How about we compare divine protection to barkskin and innervate to, i dont know, divine plea? Dang it seems like we have similar cooldowns afterall, some good for tanking, some lackluster.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
We've spent a lot of time discussing why it doesn't work, and while that's interesting to us, the bottom line is that once we've finished the role Q&A's with healers, we will be ending the Ask the Dev series.

In the end, it was a worthwhile experiment to attempt - especially since Devs have been pulled from responding on the forums directly. Which I understand, things are entirely too hostile here. However, the flaws in the Q&A system were pointed out after the first 2 and yet those flaws were ignored almost like a 5 year old plugging their ears and sticking their tongue out at the customers. Did it do more damage that good? It was probably a wash. The information provide wasn't anything people didn't already know and 90% of the answers were non-answer dodges. Such is the life of the PR rep having to address the community. We get it.

If you want a Q&A process that works...go back to the live Twitter chats. They last an hour, addressed 30-40 questions, and people got a lot more out of it than these hopelessly flawed popularity Q&As.
Reply Quote
71 Gnome Warrior
06/15/2011 10:38 AMPosted by Bashiok
Our goal with Ask the Devs was always to increase interaction with the developers

Instead it's made the community angry and made them feel like the developers aren't listening, don't care, etc.

I personally thought interaction with the developers (talking GC specifically here as he was the only one I did interact with in the Tanking forum) was excellent in WotLK. Even given that threads he would post in could sometimes get a bit silly (as people try to push their own personal agendas) we as paying customers felt that we mattered and that he genuinely cared about our concerns.

The way it is now a fleeting comment from a CM is nothing compared to how it was (no offense intended).

Please put through to the powers above that we miss GC and wish him and his glass of gin were allowed to post on the forums again. We promise we won't push him to explode on the forums like you know who.
Edited by Kabouters on 6/15/2011 12:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
Any chance we can find out what else the devs think isn't working right now?

That'd be cool to know... Like a list... Just for #!**s and giggles, you know?!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, these forums are horrible and the limited user input allowed into each topic is just a slap in the face to the the user base.

Using this horrible minute system as a way to communicate with the community is doomed to failure and it's showing in the Q&A results.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I honestly believe that any sort of Q&A is a good idea, but trying to funnel it through the forums just seems like a bad idea. The amount of WoW players who actually visit first party and/or third party websites relating to the game is larger than it has been in the past, but most of the people I know who do such things trend towards informational 3rd party websites over forums.

Now, if there was some way to develop a news bulletin of some sort in-game where we could ask questions and get updates I think that would be wonderful. I know we have the launcher, but many people skip past that quickly or disable it entirely when possible.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
06/15/2011 12:45 PMPosted by Sdg

rooofl, that's some super good logic. How about we compare divine protection to barkskin and innervate to, i dont know, divine plea? Dang it seems like we have similar cooldowns afterall, some good for tanking, some lackluster.

Irony on your part.

The fact that Paladin utility being compared to Feral utility at all is laughable, especially considering the comparisons were the strongest group defensive skill in the game being compared to... 6k mana.

Glad you can compare Barkskin to none of your own defensive CDs. You have those too remember?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
06/15/2011 12:44 PMPosted by Silkysmooth
WoW is big and hard to kill - but that doesn't mean total neglect of customers and their opinions won't speed it's decline and cost a lot of money.

yes and some of the things people QQ about are just absurd, and its those kinds of posts that get everyone inflamed and overshadow real issues. Those can go , wow may be smaller but the playerbase will be better. They dont totally neglect the customers, I dont know where you get that idea. And saying they made the game for hardcore elites is blatantly false, this game has never been more average player friendly. Yes there is hard content, but there is also average content, and lots of it if you ever get out of trade.

Its the players who are ruining most of the game for themselves, they whine its to hard..its too easy..there isnt anything to do..there is too much to do, wrong there is as much or as little as you want.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
06/15/2011 10:38 AMPosted by Bashiok
Our goal with Ask the Devs was always to increase interaction with the developers, to provide a direct conduit to their thoughts and process.

Well Since they either gave us non-answers by dodging the questions or short, non insightful answers "We think it's fine." I would definitely say it was a failure in that regard.

We're in the planning stages for a new Q&A process that will replace Ask the Devs, and while we're absolutely certain people will continue to be upset we didn't answer every question, we think it will overall be a far more successful approach.

Unless they plan on taking the time to visit the class and role forums and start answering questions that concern each class (and actually ANSWER them), that one is pretty much destined to fail as well.

The frequency of the replies would need to increase as well. When there is an issue going on with a class and topics have been open for weeks with no reply in sight.....I would certainly call that a lack of communication.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]