Why are rogues the least played class?

85 Worgen Rogue
I've heard people say this numerous times in forums. Why is this?

Is it because we can only DPS and we are middle of the pack in terms of raid performance?

is the class too hard to play in PVP effectively?

Go...
85 Night Elf Rogue
Why use a manual when this year's automatics are more efficient, faster, and easier to drive?
85 Night Elf Warrior
06/16/2011 01:38 AMPosted by Kouzidan
Why use a manual when this year's automatics are more efficient, faster, and easier to drive?

This. I brought up this point with my guildies earlier this week when i noticed even amongst all our alts we only have 1 rogue who is played regularly.
All other melee can get around the fact that ranged is clearly superior currently by tanking or healing. But if your going to play a pure dps class your only going to play a rogue if you really really enjoy it because by rolling another class you can either do superior dps or have a viable offspec to raid with.
90 Troll Rogue
The numbers are what you want them to be, if you know what you are doing you can pull great numbers.

As a rogue I can keep my damage taken as the lowest in most raid encounters, saving that precious healer mana. this should count for something
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Rogues are just...old.

Old, outdated mechanics and the few new ones we have are horribly flawed (Ex:Bandit's Guile).

We are a victim of change. With Cataclysm came the neutering of burst damage and strong CD's, the two token Rogue niches. Rogues needed a major overall before Cata came out to make us properly fit it with the Devs new philosophy on how the game should be played...but we never got it.

So yeah, I would say old mechanics and all around neglect from the Devs really make the class less desirable than the others. At this point I really only play mine because I have no interest in grinding rep/titles/mounts all over again on another toon.

EDIT: I'm talking moreso from a PVE perspective.
Edited by Scamp on 6/16/2011 1:55 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Mage
Rogues are a good, solid class. They're just really hard to play in PvP so people don't stick with them.
85 Blood Elf Mage
Easily the hardest class to play well in PvP at max level. You wouldn't know that down in the level 10 bracket.
85 Night Elf Rogue
So yeah, I would say old mechanics and all around neglect from the Devs really make the class less desirable than the others. At this point I really only play mine because I have no interest in grinding rep/titles/mounts all over again on another toon.

I'm in the same boat.
60 Draenei Death Knight
Because the class is pretty damn boring.

edit: I'll elaborate. The playstyle is boring. Always has been. People put up with it because rogues were pretty strong in BC. Now that they're not, a lot of people who played rogues back then have shelved them, because the playstyle and they're no longer strong. And because the playstyle is boring, no one bothers leveling a new rogue once they reach level ranges where they can no longer lolambush people anymore.

Out of all classes, rogues have seen by far the least changes over time. And when I say changes, I'm not talking about damage adjustments.
Edited by Callofbooty on 6/16/2011 2:07 AM PDT
90 Undead Rogue
There was a time when endgame gear wasn't so easily obtainable or plentiful. A time when 'hybrid' only meant that the class had the potential for multiple roles not that it could preform multiple roles throughout a raid, batch of content, or season.

I can say with little doubt that a majority of people who played Hpally in s8 and stuck with the class in s9 have both full Holy and Ret sets and have so for a while. Same with druids and same with some shamans. Most core raiders that play hybrids work for and have off-spec gear to adapt and adjust raid composition for encounters and player/class availability.

So as pretty much everyone here realizes if your class is a pure without a top tier spec of some kind then the desirability is low. Add in other factors like melee/range advantages and focus on making the leveling experience easier and more enjoyable and you will get yourself a low pop class. Blizz doesn't seem to interested in fixing it either.
85 Blood Elf Mage
06/16/2011 02:00 AMPosted by Ballzzdeep
Easily the hardest class to play well in PvP at max level. You wouldn't know that down in the level 10 bracket.

My rogue hit 85, bought some crafted gear and 2 set bloodthirsty with being honor capped from leveling + 1 tol barad. Less than 1700 resil and hit 2200 the next day with my friends in 3's while wearing all blues and greens, not a single purple except my s8 pvp trinket.

Yeah, hardest class to play in pvp.

Let's see that rogue and that team.
90 Undead Rogue
06/16/2011 02:00 AMPosted by Ballzzdeep

My rogue hit 85, bought some crafted gear and 2 set bloodthirsty with being honor capped from leveling + 1 tol barad. Less than 1700 resil and hit 2200 the next day with my friends in 3's while wearing all blues and greens, not a single purple except my s8 pvp trinket.

Yeah, hardest class to play in pvp.

Trash got carried to 2200 news @11.
80 Orc Warlock
Glads dont post on alts. We know you suck
90 Undead Rogue

Lol yeah trash, coming from Mr. Duelist there.

I wouldn't call it carry, I'd call it a faceroll class playing a faceroll comp in RMP and getting the rating for my t2 weapons 1 day after dinging in blues and greens.

And hell, I'm not even bragging about that because 2.2k is %*#@ rating. Just saying how easy it is to pvp on a rogue. Unless you're the poster above me in full vicious and t2 weapon but will forever be a lifetime Duelist.

You didn't even understand the statement.

Anyone playing any class in crap gear can be carried to 2200. Especially a rogue in RMP. It says nothing about any class.

Mr. Looks people's rating/achieves up while posting on lvl 2 alt.

80 Orc Warlock
they are 1400 because they arent being carried
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]