Why are rogues the least played class?

90 Human Paladin
Rogues lack....

... Actually? You know what? That's my post.

Rogues lack.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Not enough energy.
I is a rogue who quit.
I is a rogue who loved rogue before i quit.
I pvp'd lots! 'twas fun! But I still gg'd+quit.

Main Reason I Quit: Too many flashy toys and but very weak essentials. Inconsistencies = frustrations=notfun=gg quit.
90 Night Elf Rogue
Rogue damage is the worst of all pure classes, and pretty bad out of the hybrids. Additionally, we are the most limited class in terms of our pve contributions. If there is no room behind the bossbutt, there's no room for us.

The pvp stuff and WHY the pve stuff sucks so much I addressed earlier.

I've never heard a warrior say "I should go rogue". I've never heard ANY other melee say that.
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Id chalk it up as clunky mechanics as well as having 60% of their damage being passive.
70 Undead Mage
23 pages of people talking about how terrible playing a Rogue is.

I think there might be a problem, Blizzard.
85 Worgen Rogue
If I could transfer all my engineering goodies, my transformation items (bloodelf orb, etc.), and my achievements.................yeah, I would be playing my old main from BC.

Rogue just isn't very fun anymore.
85 Night Elf Rogue
Personally, I just don't like how auto-attack oriented rogues feel.
06/23/2011 03:43 PMPosted by Holybell
I personally think, as stated by others, we need a nerf to auto-attack and poison damage, and a buff to our special attacks, would be nice to have a feeling of more "control" to our dps than we do now.

The problem isn't white/poison damage, it's automatic damage ... damage done with minimal or no player action. I think poison damage could stay high if the following was done:

- Damaging (yellow) moves were balanced with energy regeneration to allow one move per 1-2 seconds (instead of 2-4s).
- Poisons were rebalanced (damage and proc% wise) to proc only on yellow hits.

That pretty effectively make poisons a player generated action.

The question it would bring up is how do not-Mut Rogues proc off-hand? Shiv is fine to proc CP/MN in PvP, but not so great to proc DP in PvE. Putting DP on mainhand to proc an OH Instant isn't very efficient. Blizzard would have to keep it in mind when re-balancing.
90 Undead Rogue
Whether people know why or not the fact is the class is extremely frustrating to play. Having a resource that generates on targets, DPS mechanics that revolve around DoTing/Debuffing a target, and even Self-buffs that reset when changing targets creates a huge penalty on any kind of complex multi-target situation for rogues and the class doesn't even bring top tier single target DPS in PvE nor impressive single target pressure in PvP.

On top of all of that the class is in a severe state of neglect. Since Beta to the upcoming 4.2 patch there has been very little revamping of rogue mechanics or rescaling of rogue abilities in order to calibrate DPS. Instead, devs do exactly the opposite of what they expressly stated they wanted to get away from, which was straight up Damage and Attack Power % modifiers. Sinister Strike, Eviscerate, Rupture, Killing Spree, etc... are all left rotting in the stone age of DPS while for 4.2 devs increase the melee damage modifier in the specialization of Assassination, which is silly when the theme of the tree is poisons. Rogues wouldn't even have gotten the Hemo buff if it wasn't for Backstab being positional and it's still not a DPS increase for the tree. Meanwhile, people playing the class watch specs like Feral have practically every damage ability get rescaled to adjust DPS.

A class that has no other function, isn't premier in it's role, whose mechanics are antiquated and stale, and who hasn't seen anywhere near the effort or rethinking other classes have in the last 3 years isn't going to be played by anyone other than people who either really like the archetype or lack the motivation to play another character. I know many people like myself that have experimented with other classes, but essentially played mainly rogue or just not played the game.

85 Blood Elf Rogue
Make Sinister Strike hit as hard as Bloodthirst imo.
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/23/2011 09:09 PMPosted by Undisputed
im pretty sure warlocks are the least played class right now

That's as of like, this month, and not by much.

But yes, you are the least played at the moment.
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/23/2011 10:16 PMPosted by Scamp
Make Sinister Strike hit as hard as Bloodthirst imo.

Make any of our stupid attacks not completely fail.

Well, mutilate is ok ish. Unless your enemy has plate or a shield, or gods forbid, both at the same time.
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Muti hit's relatively hard, but it's still a little low for it's cost imo.

Honestly I think they should change Assassin's Resolve from a 20% overall melee damage increase to a 40% increase to Mutilate/Backstab/Envenom, or something like that.

85 Blood Elf Rogue
Demo and Destro are lame, but I find Affliction pretty fun. The only thing I don't like is how much damage the Felhunter accounts for and how easily it gets killed.

The question it would bring up is how do not-Mut Rogues proc off-hand? Shiv is fine to proc CP/MN in PvP, but not so great to proc DP in PvE. Putting DP on mainhand to proc an OH Instant isn't very efficient. Blizzard would have to keep it in mind when re-balancing.

You know what? Nix that.

(1) Remove PPM and %Proc-on-Hit mechanics entirely.
(2) Yellow (player input) hits ALWAYS proc poison.
(3) White (auto attack) hits NEVER proc poison.

If energy/attack ratio is set for one attack every 1-2s instead of per 2-4s, then a 5 stack of DP (placed on MH) takes 5-10 seconds ... then starts proccing OH (Instant or whatever).

Mut doesn't get a higher DP/IP proc chance, but the ability Mutilate hits with both weapons. If Mutilate is on par with single (MH or OH/Shiv) weapon attacks per energy cost, the Mut will build DP at the same rate while also procing the poison on the other hand. That keeps Mut the poison spec.

Any spec could still proc an OH by using Shiv.

Overall poison damage difference between Mut and Combat/Sub could be adjusted in talents or mastery. Overall poison damage base (all specs) could be adjusted in the poison itself.
88 Human Rogue

You know what? Nix that.

(1) Remove PPM and %Proc-on-Hit mechanics entirely.
(2) Yellow (player input) hits ALWAYS proc poison.
(3) White (auto attack) hits NEVER proc poison.

If energy/attack ratio is set for one attack every 1-2s instead of per 2-4s, then a 5 stack of DP (placed on MH) takes 5-10 seconds ... then starts proccing OH (Instant or whatever).

Mut doesn't get a higher DP/IP proc chance, but the ability Mutilate hits with both weapons. If Mutilate is on par with single (MH or OH/Shiv) weapon attacks per energy cost, the Mut will build DP at the same rate while also procing the poison on the other hand. That keeps Mut the poison spec.

They really just need to do to rogues what they did to ret. In wrath rets dmg was mostly from seals and auto attack. Now its all shifted to active dmg (cs&tv) and the passive dmg barely is any of their dps now.

But they just don't want to give rogues burst/hard hitting moves ever again.
Edited by Whoknowz on 6/23/2011 10:59 PM PDT

They really just need to do to rogues what they did to ret. In wrath rets dmg was mostly from seals and auto attack. Now its all shifted to active dmg (cs&tv) and the passive dmg barely is any of their dps now.

But they just don't want to give rogues burst ever again.

Well, that's the point. Right now, poisons are procced off a mixture of auto attacks and yellow attacks, that makes them largely passive. If you proc them only off yellow attacks, you make them a sort of active damage. They do damage because you hit a button.

Of course, they'd need that 100% (off yellow) proc chance and players would have to be able to use yellow attacks more than once per 2-4 seconds. That too would make Rogues more fun to play, there's less waiting time.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]