Why are rogues the least played class?

2 Troll Warlock
I just never really liked the play style of rogues. There's no staying power you can't fight in the fray. As a rogue you jump in and assassinate people at low life or people away from the pack by there self. Then you have to run away like a little girl and restealth. It's just not fun.

This falls into the age old problem rogues face. Extremely good at small scale pvp and extremely bad a large scale pvp.
Edited by Sorluntopzak on 6/16/2011 10:18 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Mage
Rogue mechanics are based around a game that no longer exists.

People who play rogues now play them because they always have. Why create a rogue when you could be just as good (sometimes better) and have the ability to do other things?

Rogues don't have the big numbers (60-70% of damage is passive) and the class's mechanics feel like you are handicapping yourself at times. Moreover, Blizzard has made it apparent that they aren't willing to do the necessary work to really change the class.

Why play a rogue when there are 9 better classes?

Whatever. Rogues are a solid, powerful class both in PvP and PvE.
85 Blood Elf Mage

This falls into the age old problem rogues face. Extremely good at small scale pvp and extremely bad a large scale pvp.

That depends on what you're doing. Yah, rogues suck in a standoff in AV. But that isn't what they should be doing anyway. Especially now that they can heal themselves, they're better off going behind the enemy lines and capping stuff.
2 Troll Warlock

That depends on what you're doing. Yah, rogues suck in a standoff in AV. But that isn't what they should be doing anyway. Especially now that they can heal themselves, they're better off going behind the enemy lines and capping stuff.

I understand the "don't fight fair" play style is what rogues are supposed to do. I just don't think that's appealing to many players.

EDIT: At least to me there's a lot more thrill in going toe to toe with other players.
Edited by Sorluntopzak on 6/16/2011 10:34 AM PDT
100 Human Paladin
rogues have changed very little mechanically in the life of this game. after a while, it just becomes a boring class to play, and players don't like to be bored while playing a video game. this is especially true of people who play primarily pve - in pvp, rogues are extremely dynamic because of the various combat options they possess. in pve, though, play devolves into a very dull rotation and that's just not interesting.

also, since rogues aren't totally dominant in pvp the way they were in the first two expansions' worth of pvp seasons, rogue population in pvp is down now too.
85 Goblin Warlock
I thought Warlocks were currently the least-played class. Somebody posted the statistics a while ago, the percentages were marginal, but Rogues were actually surpassing Rogues quite a bit...
19 Human Hunter
New players don't know what is a: rogue shaman warlock is at the top of their head. Its very vague to people that don't play wow and just pick it up.

I would wager if rogues were called "assassin" their population would be much higher.

also:

-rogues gets low attention from devs (see warriors and mages as examples of high attention)
-rogues don't change much. a player that played a wow rogue 7 years ago and came back could play an 85 rogue within 60 seconds.
-rogues don't have any lore, its by far the worst class in that regard (see paladins as the opposite)
-rogue playstyle is repetitve in pve
-rogues used to be very difficult to level
-rogues do mediocre damage generally, you don't get the massive numbers flying across the screen other classes do. Sure evis envenom might top 50K+, some can classes double that easily.
-rogues dont bring any direct castable buffs and are seen as "selfish"
-rogues are looked down by other players due to ganking/griefing. holding a grudge and not rolling an alt because of them
-too many melee in the game. Death Knight is more fun to play and easier to level

That said, there are legions of lower level rogues.look at lower level bgs, they are littered with rogue alts.
imo warlock suffers from an identity crisis worse than rogues and overall from 1-85 seems the rarest class, they do not have the reserves rogues do sub-85.
66 Undead Priest
06/16/2011 01:38 AMPosted by Kouzidan
Why use a manual when this year's automatics are more efficient, faster, and easier to drive?

This so much. Also why I always considered Rogues the highest melee skill-cap class in the game.
85 Human Warrior
being a good rogue (in PVP) requires that you know how to fight 2v1. Mage, Warlock and Hunter are the only other classes that need this ability to be played to potential.

The best players time all their moves to regulate 2 people at once and "make it look easy", however as rogue is really the only melee that cant just tunnel to kills, people find it frustrating and you get the automatic vs manual feel that one of the first few posters wrote about. Why struggle with targeting macros, frequent target swaps and modifiers when you can just roll warrior and 3 shot people in a throwdown?

the same non-mechanic related usage of your character that puts a 1500 rogue in the 1900 bracket would push a 1500 warrior, ret or dk into the 2200 bracket.
85 Blood Elf Rogue
DPS is overrated.

I'd much rather do middle-of-the-pack DPS and be able to target swap on the dime and have good burst cooldowns instead of doing amazing sustained DPS but have ridiculous ramp-up and be punished for target swapping.

Although right now we do middle-of-the-pack DPS but also have no burst, long ramp-up and are punished for target swapping, so something's gotta give.
85 Draenei Shaman

So yeah, I would say old mechanics and all around neglect from the Devs really make the class less desirable than the others. At this point I really only play mine because I have no interest in grinding rep/titles/mounts all over again on another toon.

EDIT: I'm talking moreso from a PVE perspective.

DPS shaman here and I hear you on that. I want them to program achievements so they are account bound with their awards.
90 Human Warlock
http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php?serverid=-1&factionid=-1&minlevel=85&maxlevel=85&servertypeid=-1

Haha, though locks may be in a better spot damage wise right now, both Warlocks and Rogues are bottom for the same reason: the mechanics suck.

Aff; Hey I heard you like dots. Wow wouldn't it be fun to dot up lots of things? LOLOL Shadows Embrace + Haunt. LOL Nerf Soul Swap. NM.

Destro; I once hit things hard with spells I cast. Now I sort of hit things hard and have like 28239824 different spells to cast that all hit about the same.

Demo; I look cool sometimes. Better hope you never have to move while raiding!

All specs: Pets Do WAY too much damage.

This is why I exactly why I rerolled my lock, and I wont complain about damage really, but the class has gotten annoying with it's mechanics (ISF, shadow embrace etc)...Oh wait I am supposed to use the felguard??

As for rogues, I didn't find them much fun after level 10...maybe I will try again. :X
Edited by Darkmaster on 6/16/2011 12:21 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Rogue
1.) Ask for more complex rotations
2.) Get a crap-ton of extra spells/abilities to use that have 0 synergy with spec
3.) ????
4.) DO NOT WANT
85 Human Death Knight
actually according to wow census locks are currently the least played class
19 Human Hunter

Suiciding with killing spree has to be one of the most unique and unfun things in the game that no other class has to cope with.

"should I use this now? will I die? do I have deep insight? are adds nearby? is there fire that might happen in the next 2.5 seconds? I guess I'lll find out"
78 Goblin Rogue
Nobody likes being dead weight?

Seriously, we're trapped in one role. We're not the best class for that one role. That one role can be covered by every other class in the game, and done better by more than half of them on more than half of the fights in the current raid tier as well as the one on test. Melee damage is the best option for benching in every level 85 raid zone we've been shown (in fact, bringing absolutely no melee DPS results in an easier fight in the majority of raid content, and there are no encounters in which benching them will make the fight any more difficult,) and that's all we do.

There's no rational reason to play a rogue at the level cap. There's nothing we do well enough to recommend bringing us on a raid. A rational player should always pick a different class to play if the plan is to engage in multiplayer PvE.
Edited by Manzarrek on 6/16/2011 1:07 PM PDT
100 Troll Rogue
06/16/2011 01:10 PMPosted by Imatapir
There's no rational reason to play a rogue at the level cap. There's nothing we do well enough to recommend bringing us on a raid. A rational player should always pick a different class to play if the plan is to engage in multiplayer PvE.

How would you explain warlock's numbers being so low?

they are rediculously sucky to level, same with rogues.

When rogues got OP in low level BG's their population rose.

Now the only way to make it so there are more warlocks is to make them OP in low level bgs.

Or blizz could do the right thing and give these classes the badly needed upgrades to make them similar to the other 8 classes.

By upgrade I mean mechanics upgrade.
Edited by Redfang on 6/16/2011 1:14 PM PDT
100 Human Rogue
06/16/2011 01:10 PMPosted by Imatapir
How would you explain warlock's numbers being so low?

very awkward class to play right
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]