Why are rogues the least played class?

58 Human Death Knight
rogues were a giant pain to level. if you fought a mob that did reflect damage, the rogue would have to eat after ever mob. recuperate fixed the leveling pain, but rogues are still more difficult to level than a lot of other classes.

rogues just aren't that fun....
19 Human Hunter
06/16/2011 01:15 PMPosted by Stabetha
How would you explain warlock's numbers being so low?

very awkward class to play right

Really unfun in pvp with no resto shaman stapled to you. People just demolish you at all levels regardless of gear.
100 Undead Rogue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiIEAs-XpsM

^______________^
87 Night Elf Druid
and yet people say shamans, and enhancement specifically don't get developer attention because they're such a small minority of the WoW population.

Maybe Shamans would be more than people's ALTS if they got their much deserved/needed attention.
90 Human Mage
Because they're sweaty. Nobody likes that.
85 Draenei Hunter
Rogues lack the strong flavor and identity that other classes have. Their defining characteristic is the ability to stealth, which is entirely irrelevant for PvE, and only a temporary advantage for PvP. Combo points might sound cool at first, until you realize "combo" means spamming the same button over and over.

So yeah, rogues are boring. That's why they always want to be top DPS, it's the only thing that ever made them fun.
Edited by Shintalia on 6/16/2011 2:52 PM PDT
32 Human Priest
and yet people say shamans, and enhancement specifically don't get developer attention because they're such a small minority of the WoW population.

Maybe Shamans would be more than people's ALTS if they got their much deserved/needed attention.

enhance is a spec, rogue is a class

The idea of fight mechanics revolving around the use of combination moves to unlock finishing attacks sounds like it has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, IMO the way its being implemented falls short of such expectations, and seems to unnecessarily penalize us.
85 Orc Warlock
Or blizz could do the right thing and give these classes the badly needed upgrades to make them similar to the other 8 classes.

By upgrade I mean mechanics upgrade.

This is a good point.
My question was more rethoric though. By that poster's thoughts, the census should read the same percentage for every classes beside the one on top.

I'm just always amused by how people answer those type of question based on census by a single answer.
Especially considering that warlock's number are the same as they were in Vanilla, even with the Fearing mechanic they had back then in PVP, or how they could top meters with a single spell in late BC.

actually, by 2.2 warlock population was 11%, today is 6%.
100 Troll Rogue
06/16/2011 03:50 PMPosted by Aycer
The idea of fight mechanics revolving around the use of combination moves to unlock finishing attacks sounds like it has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, IMO the way its being implemented falls short of such expectations, and seems to unnecessarily penalize us.

if you actually did more damage for each cp you have on the target or have different more powerful/useful abilities to use when you reach 2/3/4 cps then it would be fun, but, sadly, no such mechanics sexist.
85 Undead Warlock
rogues are the 2nd least played class. locks are the least played class now for several reasons.
100 Troll Rogue
06/16/2011 04:00 PMPosted by Asçendant
rogues are the 2nd least played class. locks are the least played class now for several reasons.

if you don't count alts, rogues are lower, but both classes are in need of mechanics revamps but will probably never get them.
06/16/2011 03:54 PMPosted by Redfang

if you actually did more damage for each cp you have on the target or have different more powerful/useful abilities to use when you reach 2/3/4 cps then it would be fun, but, sadly, no such mechanics sexist.

lul... you said sexist

On a serious note: I thought finishing moves(some atleast) did give better returns for more CPs when used, and at the very least using a 5CP finisher will still be more energy efficient than a <5CP finisher unless additional CPs actually give LESS return which would be downright stupid.

Either way, simply(directly) giving more damage(even if we could use it) isn't the kind of improvement I'm thinking of here. Combination moves and finishing attacks the way they are now are sort of just arbitrary.... that is, there is very little point to them. They exist, almost for the sake of existing, and do much else than hinder us for the sake of hindering us.

Yeah, to use a finishing move requires(for whatever/no reason) combo points(on a single target for some/no reason). That is sort of the same thing as saying it requires more energy than what the tooltip shows, and the most useful aspect of this mechanic that I can think of is the ability to control(to a degree) the amount of energy your willing to use on such an attack(at the cost of the attack itself) but it gets in our way to simultaneously fight multiple enemies, further penalizes a non ranged class on ranged fights, and short duration fights. etc.

I'm just thinking the whole combo finisher mechanic could be utilized in more useful, and meaningful ways than simply saying "you got to spend more energy for this attack".
90 Orc Warlock
I just can't agree to rogues to buffs. it's not that I hate rogues, I just remember all the times a fighting a rogue and having my ass handed to me.
85 Tauren Druid
I have to say that as a raid leader its almost impossible for me to understand why anyone would have anything but adoration for this class. It offers competitive dps and unrivaled utility - enough utility so that it can be used to trivialize several raid encounters. And there's little question as to its pivotal role in pvp. On top of all of that, it heals better than anything in this game aside from a dedicated healer - and even then its situational which one is better.
Edited by Jynks on 6/16/2011 5:12 PM PDT
1 Undead Warrior
Rogues have the fewest keybinds out of my 8 85s.

Hard to play? rofl. nice joke.

The only reason they're the least played is because of how outdated they are, oh and btw they aren't that bad anymore, warlocks are catching up in the least played category.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]