Completely new to API

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello,

First let me start of by mentioning I know little to nothing about programming language, etc. Basically what I have is a guild site hosted on wordpress.com, I was wondering is it possible to to install a realm status icon on my site even though I do not have access to the server side files?

Thanks
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
there are many website addons out there that are build to wp and other cms systems and they can use the api as well
Reply Quote
Web & Mobile Team
There are some pretty neat examples of JSON/Javascript realm status widgets in this forum. Without knowing too much about the Wordpress plugin model, I'm sure there is a way to create a small ajax widget to display that data.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
While it would be trivial to create a Wordpress widget to display realm status, wordpress.com limits you only to the pre-installed widgets for security reasons which means installing a third-party widget is out of the question.

The easiest way to get around it is to use an RSS widget to access a realm status feed, and I don't think Blizzard are going to provide one along with the new API (correct me if I'm wrong someone!). In the interim, I've whipped up a really quick and dirty RSS feed from the status API that you're free to play around with. I wrote it with wordpress.com users in mind so it's pretty inflexible, but it may work for you for the moment.

http://api.warmachineguild.net/realmstatus/?r=dathremar

Replace dathremar with the slug for your realm (dathremar for Dath'remar, aerie-peak for Aerie Peak, and so on), or a comma separated list of realm slugs. Each realm will display as an RSS item. I've added a couple of extra fields for those with more flexible RSS widgets to use to adjust display formatting to suit, but really if you've got the ability to use one of those widgets you can likely get a proper realm status widget instead.
Edited by Dakhan on 6/19/2011 11:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
06/19/2011 09:19 PMPosted by Straton
There are some pretty neat examples of JSON/Javascript realm status widgets in this forum. Without knowing too much about the Wordpress plugin model, I'm sure there is a way to create a small ajax widget to display that data.

Given this sort of request, could there be a future in which a few of these APIs have an "RSS" mode? Add "&mode=rss" to the URL and you get back a one-entry RSS feed containing a bare minimum content - for realm status, just "realm-name-here is up", for example.

Handy for people who either don't have the technical skill or don't have the access to do their own translation layer. And to save people like Dakhan from potentially massive server load, though maybe warmachineguild.net can handle it!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
06/19/2011 11:24 PMPosted by Cheevos
And to save people like Dakhan from potentially massive server load, though maybe warmachineguild.net can handle it!

It's on an otherwise unused Amazon EC2 micro instance - if load gets too much and it starts costing me money I'll have to pull it, but hopefully by then there'll be better solutions available.
Reply Quote
Web & Mobile Team
06/19/2011 11:24 PMPosted by Cheevos
Given this sort of request, could there be a future in which a few of these APIs have an "RSS" mode?

We put some thought into using Atom, but type and amount of data returned doesn't naturally fit into it. I'm not even sure if it makes sense for realms, much less the other APIs.
Reply Quote
Reviving an old thread.

There's this new thing called blink(1). It's a USB LED dongle that is programmable. Here's what I'd love to have. An RSS feed from Blizzard that sends a numerical value between 0 and 100, where zero means offline, 1-99 is a load average (if too granular, maybe 25 for low, 50 for medium, and 75 for high) and 100 indicates queues. That way I could pull the RSS feed into an IFFTT recipe and have my blink(1) glow different colors to indicate realm status.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
That would be pretty trivial for you to do on your own. Set up something that grabs the sever status (http://us.battle.net/api/wow/realm/status) and saves it, run every 15 minutes or whatever and compare it against the previous value. When it changes, create a new RSS feed item.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]