Stats, Equipment & You; A short explanation.

85 Night Elf Warrior
This is something that I feel should be clarified, for those of you new to the game, not only does this benefit you but also benefits others:

Armor Types:

Cloth (no spirit) : Mage, Warlock, and on some occasions Shadow Priest.
Example : Shadowblaze Robes

Cloth (with spirit) : Priest.
Example: Robes of the Burning Acolyte

Leather with Agility : Rogue, Feral Druid ( Enhancement Shaman / Hunter up until level 40 ).
Example: Sark of the Unwatched

Leather with Intellect / Spirit : Balance or Restoration Druid ( Elemental / Restoration Shaman up until level 40 ).
Example: Scorched Wormling Vest

Strength Mail : Paladin / Warrior armor up until level 40.
Example: Mail Combat Armor

Intellect Mail : Restoration / Elemental Shaman ( Holy Paladin level 1-40 although rare to find at lower levels )
Example: Circuit Design Breastplate

Agility Mail : Enhancement Shaman / Hunter level 40+
Example: Voltage Source Chestguard

Strength Plate ( With Haste / Critical / Hit / Expertise / Mastery ) : Level 40+ Fury or Arms Warrior, Retribution Paladin, Unholy or Frost Death Knight.
Example: Battleplate of Ancient Kings

Strength Plate ( With Dodge / Parry / Mastery ) : Blood Death Knight, Protection Paladin and Protection Warrior.
Example: Battleplate of the Apocalypse

On some occasions you will find gear that looks as though it would work for Damage Dealers or Tanks, I/E the example by Cogs below, Here you would have to look at the socket bonus, if its a combat stat it's probably damage if its avoidance or stamina then it is more than likely meant for a tank; although it can be used as an upgrade for a Damage Dealer in a situation where nothing better is available.
Example: Dragon Bone Warhelm

Intellect Plate : The only class that benefits from this is Holy Paladin, as of this time there are no other actual classes or specs that benefit from this.
Example: Breastplate of Avenging Flame

Trinkets:

Intellect Trinkets with effects that start to proceed into effect via damaging effects are shared between : Shadow Priest, Mage, Warlock, Balance Druid, and Elemental Shaman.
Example: Bell of Enraging Resonance

Intellect Trinkets with effects that proceed into effect via healing spells or effects are shared between : Restoration Shaman, Holy Paladin, Holy and Discipline Priest, and Restoration Druid.
Example: Fall of Mortality

Strength Trinkets with effects that proceed into effect via damage are generally for damage dealing plate classes.
Example: Crushing Weight

Agility Trinkets are used for both Feral Damage Dealers and Tanks, along with Rogues, as well as Hunters and Enhancement Shamans.
Example: Essence of the Cyclone

Most tanking trinkets have dodge or parry on them, with mastery effects or parry or dodge. Also many tanking trinkets have an effect that if your below a certain % of health that it will go into effect. Druids have no use for parry so those types of trinkets will be for Death Knights, Paladin and Warrior. Dodge Trinkets would be shared between all types of tanks.
Example: Gift of the Greatfather or Symbiotic Worm or Throngus's Finger

Look in the post below for a URL of a chart and a more streamlined light reading version.
Edited by Artilis on 6/16/2011 7:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Plate with strength and crit/hit/haste = plate DPS
→ fury/arms warrior, frost/unholy DK, ret paladin

Plate with strength and dodge/parry = plate tank
→ prot warrior, prot paladin, blood DK

Anything with agility = non-plate physical DPS and feral tanks
→ enhancement shamans, hunters, rogues, feral druids

Anything with intellect and hit rating = caster DPS
→ balance druid, shadow priest, elemental shaman, mage, warlock

Anything with spirit = healers and hybrid DPS casters
→ priests, balance/resto druids, elemental/resto shamans, holy pally

Breakdown by class/spec (ascending armor type):

Mage, warlock = cloth with intellect
Priest = cloth with intellect and spirit

Feral druid = leather with agility
Balance/resto druid = leather with intellect and spirit

Hunter, enhancement shaman = mail with agility
Ele/resto shaman = mail with intellect and spirit

Ret pally, frost/unholy DK, arms/fury warrior = plate with strength
Prot pally, blood DK, prot warrior = plate with dodge/parry

This isn't exact, but when gear drops this is how players will assign it and call out people to roll on it. For example if the raid leader calls out that mail caster gear dropped, shamans are expected to be the only class rolling on it.

Cloaks

Strength + parry/dodge = plate tanks
Strength - parry/dodge = plate DPS

Agility + dodge = bears
Agility - dodge = non-plate physical DPS

Intellect + spirit = healers and hybrid caster DPS
Intellect + hit rating = all caster DPS
Intellect - spirit - hit rating = casters

Now, if my original post was a bit confusing, or the text above didn't clarify it more, Icedragon along with this wall of text above has made a nice little chart that you may find helpful.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9126/statchart.jpg

My thanks to Icedragon, Jay, and Cogs on their input as well as contributions thus far.
Edited by Artilis on 6/16/2011 6:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Nice work. I think you did a pretty good job here. It's nice to separate all these types of gear
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
Don't forget that some gear is easily mistakable for other roles, and sometimes you need to pay attention to things as small as the socket bonus to know what role it's for, such as:

Dragon Bone Warhelm
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I would first emphasis that gear type matching doesn't matter as much until 50 when you get leather/mail/plate specialization for dps/healers. In fact, until 50 the stats are more important than armor type. From my experience the biggest number of players who gear improperly are level 40-50 hunters/shaman/paladin/warriors who simply wear mail/plate because they can not that this new plate drop has stam/intellect on it and you are a fury warrior.

Cloth (no spirit) : Mage, Warlock.
Example : Shadowblaze Robes

Cloth (with spirit) : Priest.
Example: Robes of the Burning Acolyte
These two pieces are virtually identical for an S. Priest.

Both items have the same Intellect and Stamina. One as 227 spirit the other has 217 hit. For an S. priest the equates to a +10 hit rating difference. Sure the added benefit of spirit would be mana regen out of combat only. The cloth w/o spirit has 10 extra mastery than the spirit cloth.

Now I"m not sure what S. Priests stat weights are but looking at the socket bonus.

Spirit piece, would likely drop a +40 INT (red) and +20INT/+20something [probably hit if needed for s.priest] and get +20 mastery) or ignore the socket and get +40 Intellect for a total of +80 intellect.

Cloth piece one could ignore the socket bonus and drop in +80 intellect as well or go for socket bonus and use to +20/20 gems and have +60 intellect and +20 from each blue gem.

But I would concede that Shadow Priests do kinda fall under a special category. And the spirit piece would fill an offspec (disc/holy) but the piece w/o spirit would need to be swapped out for a healing spec, but I would note that S. Priests can generally use the same gear as mages/warlocks while healing priests value spirit. Also, once an S. Priest is hit capped, they should no longer look for gear w/ spirit (or replace curent gear w/ spirit with caster gear that doesn't have spirit/hit on it).

Lastly:
Strength Trinkets with effects that proceed into effect via damage are generally for damage dealing plate classes.
Example: Crushing Weight
Edited by Jåy on 6/16/2011 8:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Language sometimes plays into the confusion when looking at pieces of gear. What kind of gear just dropped? Who would wear it?

Plate with strength and crit/hit/haste = plate DPS
→ fury/arms warrior, frost/unholy DK, ret paladin

Plate with strength and dodge/parry = plate tank
→ prot warrior, prot paladin, blood DK

Anything with agility = non-plate physical DPS and feral tanks
→ enhancement shamans, hunters, rogues, feral/guardian druids, brewmaster/windwalker monks

Anything with intellect and hit rating = caster DPS
→ balance druid, shadow priest, elemental shaman, mage, warlock

Anything with spirit = healers and hybrid DPS casters
→ priests, balance/resto druids, elemental/resto shamans, holy pally, misweaver monk

Breakdown by class/spec (ascending armor type):

Mage, warlock = cloth with intellect
Priest = cloth with intellect and spirit

Feral/guardian druid, brewmaster/windwalker monk = leather with agility
Balance/resto druid, mistweaver monk = leather with intellect and spirit

Hunter, enhancement shaman = mail with agility
Ele/resto shaman = mail with intellect and spirit

Ret pally, frost/unholy DK, arms/fury warrior = plate with strength
Prot pally, blood DK, prot warrior = plate with dodge/parry

This isn't exact, but when gear drops this is how players will assign it and call out people to roll on it. For example if the raid leader calls out that mail caster gear dropped, shamans are expected to be the only class rolling on it.

Cloaks

Strength + parry/dodge = plate tanks
Strength - parry/dodge = plate DPS

Agility + dodge = bears
Agility - dodge = non-plate physical DPS

Intellect + spirit = healers and hybrid caster DPS
Intellect + hit rating = all caster DPS
Intellect - spirit - hit rating = casters
Edited by Icedragon on 10/9/2012 6:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Ice would you mind if I took your post there and edited it into my 2nd, I'd like to actually get this about as clear as possible, that way new players that actually happen to come and look at this forum will get an idea of what kinda gear they'd be wanting to go for.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
06/16/2011 02:31 PMPosted by Artilis
Ice would you mind if I took your post there and edited it into my 2nd, I'd like to actually get this about as clear as possible, that way new players that actually happen to come and look at this forum will get an idea of what kinda gear they'd be wanting to go for.

Use my words however you please :)

I also have a visual for stats, if you'd like to link that as well:
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9126/statchart.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Don't forget that some gear is easily mistakable for other roles, and sometimes you need to pay attention to things as small as the socket bonus to know what role it's for, such as:

Dragon Bone Warhelm
In most cases, a Plate dps that would roll on something like this would likely still find it an upgrade over iLevel 346 and can benefit from expertise and mastery and a strengh gem.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
thank you very much :D

Edit: I think I clarified your point now Jay. Take a look and tell me what you think.
Edited by Artilis on 6/16/2011 6:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Lots of reading O_O
Reply Quote
This is very nice, Artillis. Thumbs up and Voted.

06/15/2011 11:17 PMPosted by Artilis
Intellect Mail : Restoration / Elemental Shaman ( Holy Paladin level 1-40 although rare to find at lower levels )

It should be noted that questing rewards, particularly Dungeon quests, are itemized much better then in the past. Leveling this Paladin right here as Holy, and have managed to pick up some fair armour pieces for my spec.
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
This is really well done! I sent a link out to several of our newbies in guild. Voted for sticky!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage

It should be noted that questing rewards, particularly Dungeon quests, are itemized much better then in the past. Leveling this Paladin right here as Holy, and have managed to pick up some fair armour pieces for my spec.
1-60yes, but 60-70 there seemed to be a lack of mail gear for my resto/elemental shaman. And I did see several rare (blue) Int/Agi/Stam mail which is back from when hunters had mana I'm guessing.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

1-60yes, but 60-70 there seemed to be a lack of mail gear for my resto/elemental shaman. And I did see several rare (blue) Int/Agi/Stam mail which is back from when hunters had mana I'm guessing.

The OP might want to note that Burning Crusade was the 1970's of WoW. Everyone wore bright colors and gear that was incredibly screwed up. We all regret that time in our leveling lives.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
This is a super resource for a catababy like me. Only thing I know is what I want/dont want as a warlock, but since I am starting a Pally, I have been freaking out at the plate options.
This helps clarify this.

Bump!
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Hunter
Only you would take the time to sit there and type all this useful information out hun <3 xD *bumps*

Read it and learn people~ :3
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
Bumped for moar reading!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Bump for great justice!
Reply Quote
62 Night Elf Hunter
Very nice. Back to the top, and requested as sticky! :-)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]