We redesigned Holy Shield

80 Blood Elf Paladin
"We redesigned Holy Shield, partially because paladin mitigation was going to be too good in the Firelands raid, but also because many paladins (though of course not all) told us they wanted a more dynamic rotation and less passive mitigation."

We just didn't ask the 99% of prot pallys that were raid leading if they thought this was a good idea...pipe down Theck ;)
90 Night Elf Druid
The Holy Shield change is great. It should've happened in Beta but hey they were doing enough with Paladins at the time.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Buff to good paladins, nerf to bad. My only issue is deciding on a keybind for my awesome new cd!!!

Paladins are now the CD tank!!!! Take THAT DKS!
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Buff to good paladins, nerf to bad. My only issue is deciding on a keybind for my awesome new cd!!!

Paladins are now the CD tank!!!! Take THAT DKS!

I already found it. It will replace my WoG keybind lawl :D
90 Night Elf Druid
Actually we will be basically fine for this tier without a change to mastery. If anything, we get to have our cake and eat it in t12 at the level where people will actually consider their choices of stats. Which is why it's not being prioritised anyway.

There's nothing stupid about the Holy Shield change. It's logical and awesome.
Edited by Slashlove on 6/17/2011 1:33 AM PDT
90 Draenei Paladin
Puts things into a very interesting perspective for Prot Paladins.

Do I continue to stack mastery to 102.4% damage to smooth damage intake and get the most out of the CD, or do I begin stacking avoidance to the now much higher breakpoint, providing potentially more overall damage reduction but reducing the effectiveness of this new cooldown and having a more spikey damage intake.

Tough choice.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Puts things into a very interesting perspective for Prot Paladins.

Do I continue to stack mastery to 102.4% damage to smooth damage intake and get the most out of the CD, or do I begin stacking avoidance to the now much higher breakpoint, providing potentially more overall damage reduction but reducing the effectiveness of this new cooldown and having a more spikey damage intake.

Tough choice.

I thought the overall avoidance cap was 102.4% is that just the cap for mastery? If so that changes many things that would have made us far better choices as tanks in the upcoming patch.
90 Draenei Paladin
Badly worded, 102.4% is the combined CTC you need to become "unhittable" meaning you never take 100% of the damage of an attack.

That's calculated via dodge+parry+Miss+Block.

Currently the break-even point for Mastery to provide as much benefit as dodge or parry is around 10-11% (each, not combined). This will go up to 17-18~% in 4.2

That means Dodge and Parry will be more valuable up to a much higher percentage of rating, which will inevitably mean less points invested into mastery, which means less combined CTC overall, however potentially more overall damage reduction by investing those points wisely.

My original post seems badly worded now that I go back and read it, hopefully this one is more clear?
90 Draenei Warrior
06/17/2011 01:44 AMPosted by Äshôk
I thought the overall avoidance cap was 102.4% is that just the cap for mastery? If so that changes many things that would have made us far better choices as tanks in the upcoming patch.
Once your block + parry + dodge + miss chance is 102.4%, more mastery does nothing for you, so instead of stacking mastery, you stack dodge and parry, while keeping the two ratings equal after buffs, and lowering your mastery so that you're just over 102.4% but not too far over.
-----
Attack tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
90 Night Elf Druid
The most relevant choice/tradeoff for Progression content is Stamina.
90 Night Elf Druid
That's not even a new angle of his insanity. I'm surprised we haven't been treated to a Ciderhelm rant from Monsieur Apocalypse.
85 Human Paladin
Currently the break-even point for Mastery to provide as much benefit as dodge or parry is around 10-11% (each, not combined). This will go up to 17-18~% in 4.2

That means Dodge and Parry will be more valuable up to a much higher percentage of rating, which will inevitably mean less points invested into mastery, which means less combined CTC overall, however potentially more overall damage reduction by investing those points wisely.

Those numbers assume you never hit Holy Shield. If you hit it off CD, the breakeven point for overall damage reduction goes down to around 13-14%, which will be almost unavoidable in Firelands gear.

Now, of course, TDR is not the only thing worth looking at. But anything else one might care about pushes one even further towards mastery over avoidance, so I just don't see any Prot Paladin stacking avoidance pre-102.4% in 4.2.
85 Night Elf Death Knight
I've never tanked beyond the 50's bracket on my Paladin, but didn't the ability used to be an "active ability" anyways?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
having been a tank since day 1 of BC and only quitting just this pats February because of burn out. i can say this, every paladin and his mother will macro new holy shield away to shield of righteousness. 10 seconds of 20% more block value is just worthless. you may never block ever! each and every time you use holy shield between now and Blizzard's next MMO.
85 Human Paladin
06/17/2011 12:24 AMPosted by Marrs
they wanted a more dynamic rotation and less passive mitigation

Yes in some fight like Chimearon we will "use it" to prevent a burst but in most fight we will simply macro it to CS / HotR ... making that ability sooo much more dynamic right ?

/facepalm.
90 Dwarf Paladin
10 seconds of 20% more block value is just worthless.

Not quite worthless - but is it worth the added hassle of trying to remember to use it? For such a relatively small amount of reduction it doesn't seem worth the hassle of trying to remember another cooldown. It would be simpler to just macro it to HotR to let paladin tanks worry about more important things.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]