Battle.net Authenticator Changes

(Sticky)

MVP
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
I've seen a couple of threads asking about the change to the Authenticator and why they aren't being prompted upon login, so I figured i'd port over the announcement from Zarhym here for those who may have missed it.

If you use an authenticator – and we hope you do – you may soon notice that an authenticator prompt may not appear with every login. We’ve recently updated our authentication system to intelligently track your login locations, and if you’re logging in consistently from the same place, you may not be asked for an authenticator code. This change is being made to make the authenticator process less intrusive when we’re sure the person logging in to your account is you.

We hope to continue improving the authenticator system to ensure the same or greater security, while improving and adding features to make having one a more user friendly experience. If you don’t already have a Battle.net Authenticator attached to your account, don’t wait until it’s too late - http://us.battle.net/en/security/checklist

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2674529777
MVP
Bump because I've seen a couple of questions about this recently.
90 Gnome Priest
So with the authenticator by-pass active, does that mean we will still occasionally be asked for an authenticator code when logging in, even if we've been logging in from the same location consistently?
Reply Quote
MVP
12/05/2011 07:57 PMPosted by Merlon
So with the authenticator by-pass active, does that mean we will still occasionally be asked for an authenticator code when logging in, even if we've been logging in from the same location consistently?

I don't believe so, no. If you have the by-pass active, it should not ask ever, if it remembers your location.
Reply Quote
Quality Assurance
Ok last time i used WoW remote, ( i use the physical authenticator), the main thing that frustrated me was I had to type in my login info every time I engage in an auction, etc.,

Very annoying, not to mention that the app lagged my Samsung Galaxy android lot lot so I got rid of it....

You don't need to enter credentials for EVERY auction, just once per session. This is a necessary security measure.
Reply Quote
Quality Assurance
There has been some confusion with the the latest Battle.net Mobile Authenticator for the Android (v1.1.3). We made the following change to the widget:

Once an authenticator widget has been created, press the refresh icon to get an authenticator code. This change was made to reduce battery consumption.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ok last time i used WoW remote, ( i use the physical authenticator), the main thing that frustrated me was I had to type in my login info every time I engage in an auction, etc.,

Very annoying, not to mention that the app lagged my Samsung Galaxy android lot lot so I got rid of it....

You don't need to enter credentials for EVERY auction, just once per session. This is a necessary security measure.

It does it far more often than once per session (though I guess if you define a "session" as "every 90 seconds or so that would be accurate). Very annoying, especially with all the login errors.
Reply Quote
Quality Assurance
I believe this is directly tied to the login errors, though I have had very few problems with the hard login myself on either iOS and Android.
Reply Quote
I have had nothing but problems with my mobile authenticator tonight,and I never did before.I cant remove it because I havent changed my cell number on my account and it wants to send the sms notice to my old cell phone,kwhich I no longer remember the number,and the authenticator just is being a pain,and I have done everything that the troubleshooter has asked,even resyncing it...nothing works.I am a little perturbed because I just added a time card to my account and now I cant play....any suggestions anyone?I can't even submitted a support ticket about it.....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]