won't let me transfer toon to another account

(Locked)

90 Undead Warlock
i need to transfer this toon to another battle.net. i'm fine with paying $25.00 for it...but whenever it says:
Where do you wish to transfer your character?
and i click:
A different account

and type in the account, i get this:
An error has occurred.
The destination account must have been created by the same person as the origin account.

HOW CAN I FIX THIS?
thanks for any help :3
85 Tauren Paladin
You can't really. The problem exists with the name on the account. That doesn't change. Are you the owner of the two accounts? Because if you're not, what you're doing is against the rules.
90 Blood Elf Mage
Are both account details (first name, last name etc) exactly the same?
25 Night Elf Druid
In order to transfer across Accounts, the exact same person MUST be the registered Account Holder of both accounts. Period. No exceptions. The registered e-mail doesn't matter, nor does it matter WHO pays on the account. The one and only thing that does matter is the registered account holder. They must be identical on both accounts.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=20558

Account Restrictions:

- Transfers between accounts can be done only if you are the subscriber on both accounts.
- Trial accounts are not eligible to send or receive characters. To remove this restriction please upgrade to a paid account.
- Characters may not be transferred to or from a locked, suspended, or banned account.
- Customers with expansion accounts cannot transfer characters to a non-expansion account. The reverse is accepted.

The **ONLY** time the registered Account Holder's name can be changed is in the case of a LEGAL name change. Marriage would be one such example. Or in the case of a minor who shared the account with their legal guardian becoming an adult. In the latter case Blizzard will assist them in setting up a new account and transferring over certain characters. In either such cases the Account Holder would need to contact Accounts and Billing.
Billing:
Main Page: http://www.blizzard.com/support/wowbilling/
Email: billing@blizzard.com
Phone: 1.800.592.5499 (M-F 8am-8pm Pacific Time)
Phone (Australian callers): 1-800-041-378
Webform: http://us.blizzard.com/support/webform-us.xml?gameId=11

There are NO other exceptions to the above.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=20558

"Account Restrictions:

Transfers between accounts can be done only if you are the subscriber on both accounts."

"Can I transfer characters from one account to another?

Yes, you can transfer characters not just between realms but also between accounts where you are the subscriber. Please note that any attempt to transfer a character to or from an account where you are not the subscriber could be considered a violation of the World of Warcraft Terms of Use and could lead to Blizzard taking disciplinary action against your subscription account(s), including but not limited to warnings, temporary account suspension, or permanent account suspension, as determined by Blizzard.

To initiate a transfer between two accounts where you are the subscriber, you will need to specify the account name associated with the account you wish to transfer a character to, and answer the 'secret question' for the destination account. Without this information an account to account transfer will not be possible.

Who is eligible for account-to-account transfers?

Transfers between accounts are only allowed between accounts where you are the subscriber. We do not support the transfer of characters between friends, guild mates, or family members. To conduct an account-to-account transfer, you will have to answer the 'secret question' for the destination account, and the last name on both accounts must match.

Why is it set up that way?

Blizzard takes the integrity of its game and the matter of account ownership very seriously. For this reason, the sale of characters and accounts is expressly against the World of Warcraft Terms of Use, and the transfer of characters from one account owner to another is prohibited."

90 Undead Warlock
no they're not. but i do own both of them. i am paying for both.
90 Blood Elf Mage
If your name is not on an account, you don't own it. Even if you pay for it.
25 Night Elf Druid
06/18/2011 04:40 PMPosted by Yungjeezy
no they're not. but i do own both of them. i am paying for both.

Please read everything I posted above. I put a lot in to it, and it will answer all your questions.

90 Undead Warlock
My last name is on it.

It's my brother's account that I set up for him. Now that he no longer plays, he's giving it back to me.

The reason i need to transfer the character is, this account only has Burning Crusade. Where as the other account has Cataclysm.
90 Blood Elf Mage
Sorry, you still can't do that. It is HIS account, not yours. The Terms of use that all players agree to states accounts can not be transfered, sold, or gifted.

If you want to play cataclysm, you will need to upgrade your account to WOTLK and then Cataclysm.
90 Undead Warlock
So there is absolutely nothing i can do?

I have to just freeze one of the accounts?

I would think Blizzard would want all the money they could get, in which case, instead of just losing an account. They at least gain $25.00 for a transfer.
6 Gnome Rogue
Doesn't matter, it's not YOUR account.
90 Undead Warlock
My last name is on it.

It's my brother's account that I set up for him. Now that he no longer plays, he's giving it back to me.

The reason i need to transfer the character is, this account only has Burning Crusade. Where as the other account has Cataclysm.

It's his account. Not yours. You cannot play it. It doesn't matter if you paid for it. It is his.

The account belongs to the person who has their name on it. Not who pays for it.
25 Night Elf Druid
My last name is on it.

See? You didn't read what I posted.
85 Tauren Paladin
Just to help confirm what other people are stating, here's the link to the Terms of Use: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_tou.html

You may not purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, or offer to purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, and any such attempt shall be null and void.

The name on the account is the owner. Plain and simple.

I purchased Classic, Burning Crusade, Lich King, and Cataclysm for my dad's account and I pay the subscription on it. Guess what -- it's his account, not mine.
So there is absolutely nothing i can do?

I have to just freeze one of the accounts?

I would think Blizzard would want all the money they could get, in which case, instead of just losing an account. They at least gain $25.00 for a transfer.

And you can't play on his account, so if he's no longer playing, his account would be the frozen account.
90 Human Rogue
Lets say i have a character on this account and i just create a new account with the same name, i can transfer and have my cousin's character to the new one and we can play together?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
06/18/2011 08:05 PMPosted by Leanquiseine
Lets say i have a character on this account and i just create a new account with the same name, i can transfer and have my cousin's character to the new one and we can play together?

Let's make this really, really, really clear:

No one except the registered user of an account may play on said account. Your cousin cannot play on an account registered to you. Your BFF cannot play on an account registered to you. Your dog cannot play on an account registered to you. Only you can play on your account. The only exception to this rule is that a parent may let one (1) minor child play on their account. That's it.

So no, you can't do what you're describing, because either you're transferring a character to someone else's account or you're letting someone else play your account. Both of which are not allowed.
Edited by Sliceyaface on 6/18/2011 8:13 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
what happens if the account that you want to transfer your character over to another account that is not yours but you give permision because you are the owner of the account that you wish to transfer the character. Its just ive given up on world of warcraft and for my mates birthday i decided he can have my stupid druid :)
90 Blood Elf Hunter
No, you cannot do that. Ever.
14 Blood Elf Priest
10/28/2011 04:29 AMPosted by Astandis
for my mates birthday i decided he can have my stupid druid :)

You are not allowed to gift characters or accounts to other players.

From the FAQ:

Who is eligible for account-to-account transfers?

Characters may be eligible for transfer between accounts which are registered to the same user. To conduct an account-to-account transfer, you will have to answer the 'secret question' for the account you are transferring the character off of (source account), and the last name on both accounts must match. We do not support the transfer of characters between friends, guild mates, or family members.

You really should not necro old threads either. You're best to start your own when the thread is more than a few days old.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]