Can't tame beast :(

(Locked)

10 Undead Warrior
Hi, for some reason when i try to tame a pet it doesn't work. I'm not sure if im doing it wrong or i can't tame the beast.So, please someone comment ASAP.
MVP
86 Night Elf Priest
What level is your hunter? What level is the beast you're trying to tame? What is the name of the beast?

There are untamable beasts. You also can't tame anything of a higher level than you.
You are a warrior is why.

You can also only tame certain animals.
90 Night Elf Hunter
What level is your hunter? What level is the beast you're trying to tame? What is the name of the beast?

There are untamable beasts. You also can't tame anything of a higher level than you.

I discovered the emphasized part to be true when I rolled this hunter, lo, these many years ago. Otherwise my first pet would've been a bear, not a cat.
10 Undead Warrior
My hunter is a lvl 26, the beast is a lvl 25,and it is called highland strider.
10 Undead Warrior
In my other account that i have is a Blood elf hunter.
MVP
86 Night Elf Priest
06/22/2011 04:59 PMPosted by Yomamakill
My hunter is a lvl 26, the beast is a lvl 25,and it is called highland strider.

Okay, so that does sound like it should be working. Your hunter is high enough (10+) to have the ability to tame, the beast is lower in level, and that particular one isn't special requiring a Beast Mastery talent or untamable.

What exactly happens when you attempt to tame the beast? Look for error messages in red, such as saying you need to dismiss or stable your current pet first (haven't tamed a new one on my hunter in a long time - I don't remember if you have to stable the current pet first).
10 Undead Warrior
Well i haven never tamed an animal yet.
You start out with a pet now. You need to dismiss it before you can tame a new one. If you don't see one, try to revive pet, then dismiss it; both are spells in your beast mastery tab. Once you have done that, you can tame a new one.
10 Undead Warrior
But i have never tamed a pet.
MVP
86 Night Elf Priest
06/22/2011 05:54 PMPosted by Yomamakill
But i have never tamed a pet.

If you started your hunter before Cataclysm, usually there was a series of quests to have you temporarily tame pets so you got the idea how. Post-Cataclysm, you start with a pet at level 1.

Assuming you do not have a pet with you, have you trained all hunter skills at your trainer, including Tame Beast? Have that skill on your action bar.

<EDIT>
06/22/2011 05:49 PMPosted by Abuurdek
You start out with a pet now. You need to dismiss it before you can tame a new one. If you don't see one, try to revive pet, then dismiss it;

Realized you will need to do this if you've ever had a pet at some point and it got killed. If it got dismissed somehow, also try the Call Pet 1 spell which will have you whistle to attract it. Once the pet is there, use the Dismiss Pet spell and continue.
<END EDIT>

Go to the area where the animal is, well away from NPCs like guards who might come "help" you by killing it. Make sure your health is all the way up, as it is likely to attack you until the taming is finished.

Target the animal with the left mouse button (not the right, which will start shooting). Start the Tame Beast spell. It is channeled and you have to do nothing else until it is done. Don't move, don't shoot, nothing.

(At 28 you will learn the Frost Trap spell and can put that on the ground between you and the beast to give you a little more time to tame it before it can attack you.)
Edited by Eilethalua on 6/22/2011 6:02 PM PDT
10 Undead Warrior
I will try it, I will reply back later if it worked or not.
MVP
86 Night Elf Priest
Just for future reference, there's a forum specifically for guides for newer players and to answer and assist them with the game:

New Player Help and Guides
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011644/

This forum often deals more with issues in which things aren't working the way they should - as opposed to instructing on how to do things.

Not a problem that you're here. We're (mostly) friendly. But you can get a lot of useful tips and information there, not just for your hunter - but for any characters and playing in general.
10 Undead Warrior
Well i tried wat u said but it didn't work.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
If you only have one "Summon Pet" slot, and you still have your beginner pet there instead of a stable, you won't be able to tame anything else.
10 Undead Warrior
But i dont have any pets.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
When did you start your hunter? Before or after Cata came out?
10 Undead Warrior
After Cata.
Support Forum Agent
Hi, for some reason when i try to tame a pet it doesn't work. I'm not sure if im doing it wrong or i can't tame the beast.So, please someone comment ASAP.

Can you give me the name and realm of your Hunter, Yomamakill?
90 Blood Elf Hunter
06/22/2011 08:30 PMPosted by Yomamakill
After Cata.

Then unless you abandoned him, you have a pet hiding somewhere.
Edited by Scrinshee on 6/22/2011 8:38 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]