Fix the Frostlord Scythe

85 Blood Elf Mage
[quote]
But anyway, those cloaks are pretty sweet, huh?

Ok, after re-reading your post I see the sarcasm.

Yes the cloaks (that you can actually farm for) suck too since next week we'll all be able to buy the 359 Valor ones for JP instead.

Ha . . . Ha . . . Ha.

Actually, that makes me really sad. You're right, there's no reason to do the boss whatsoever.

:-(
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok... I really don't get this logic. A random drop you can't effectively grind for (the staff) which has awful itemization vs. a cloak I can run over and over and over again and roll need on when I want.... hmmm. Darn silly "logic" by Bliz.

Their argument would only make sense if the staves were 100% drops, but one could use every chance they have this year and not get the Scythe and one could kill Jindo every day for weeks and still not have it.

You can't say that either one has earned the staff by killing a particular boss if you're not going to give it to them for doing so.

Logic is a 4-letter word at Blizzard.
Edited by Zarcistiri on 6/21/2011 1:56 PM PDT
24 Undead Warlock
06/21/2011 01:50 PMPosted by Zarcistiri
Ok... I really don't get this logic. A random drop you can't effectively grind for (the staff) which has awful itemization vs. a cloak I can run over and over and over again and roll need on when I want.... hmmm. Darn silly "logic" by Bliz.

Their argument would only sense if the staves were 100% drops, but one could use every chance they have this year and not get the Scythe and one could kill Jindo every day for weeks and still not have it.

You can't say that either one has earned the staff if you're not going to give it to them for doing so.

This is proof that trash > boss. =D
85 Goblin Shaman
Making it ideal (stat-wise) now and it would stomp all over ZA/ZG weapons. It's fairly trivial to obtain so we're just not really willing to do that.

The solution we're considering would be to make it a 346 blue, but there are some designer-y issues and side effects of what a change like that would cause. Either way I don't think we would be keeping it purple and giving it Int or otherwise making the stats more ideal.

I'm confused as to how this became a choice between having the staff be ideal and have it be, you know, useable. Even with in, it wouldn't be perfect for every class/spec, since some would prefer spirit/hit/mastery. And, I mean, it's a rare drop that you have one chance per day at for about 2 weeks, I don't think that's really 'too easy' to get, especially after you talk about the cloaks, which are considerably easier to get and considerably more useful as well.

Then again, neither of the previous staffs had int on them either, so I guess you're just sticking with the theme? Still, the staff looks really really cool, and it'd be nice to get to actually use it for anything besides just RP.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
06/21/2011 01:49 PMPosted by Corwyn
Save the hassle, just make it a shard to roll on.

I don't know about the staff, but you can't shard the cloaks.
85 Troll Rogue

Wait wut? The tiny fire elemental dude will come back to the game? /jubilation!!!
Once I get it I'll only need a wind elemental companion to complete te set <3
I'll be like one of those silly shamans!

Like I posted earlier, his information as of the latest PTR build is inaccurate. The Scorchling is nowhere to be found in the Molten Front daily hub.

I was checking some stuff on the wowhead and there were some people claiming they got it in a bag you buy with 30 marks-of-whatever. The bag is called Zen'Vorka's Cache
http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=71631
Is this info outdated?
90 Human Paladin
It is a shame when you consider that some designer spent effort into making a nice looking weapon, and then some dart board game somewhere makes it unusable by those who should have benefited from it. But let's keep it purple - at least we can get a maelstrom crystal from it.
85 Troll Rogue
06/21/2011 01:58 PMPosted by Latira
It is a shame when you consider that some designer spent effort into making a nice looking weapon, and then some dart board game somewhere makes it unusable by those who should have benefited from it. But let's keep it purple - at least we can get a maelstrom crystal from it.

I'm not sure, but I think you can't DE it... or vendor it. :(
8 Goblin Warrior
06/21/2011 12:18 PMPosted by Bashiok

Not really. We're gonna get iLvl 365 capes from questing next week and iLvl 378 from Avengers of Hyjal at Friendly.

Chance for a pet or a useful weapon would be better.
90 Undead Warrior
06/21/2011 12:18 PMPosted by Bashiok

For the next week or so.
14 Night Elf Hunter
Considering that the drop rate is already low and then that at least 50% or more who actually get it can't use it I do not see how it will stomp over any ZA/ZG staff.

Because this staff doesn't do my casters any good and the cloak is just slightly better then the 346 I have on them I do not see any reason to run Ahune. 25jp? Forget it. I remember he dropped 2 frost last year, the same amout every heroic satchel gave. Now only 25 jp, not even vp? It's not worth the time and effort for me.
85 Undead Warlock
Given that this was actually a small upgrade for me, considering I was using 2 blue non heroic MH/OH, I went ahead and threw a power torrent on this thing, shortly after I realized it had no intellect on it. Now I feel like a total moron.

Lesson learned the hard way, I suppose.
100 Draenei Paladin
would it really be that much of a crime if it were similar to the staff from ZG? I mean its not like you get it all the time from the satchel and not like it will be around forever. never seemed to bother before that it was equal to heroics? the 80 version was equal to what you could get in the highest level wrath heroics.
85 Gnome Mage
Gotta love how the unique things in WoW get the uniqueness taken out of them given time. Why can't you keep the unobtainable pets/mounts/items in WoW like they are? Instead everything gets remodeled and released in another patch so that the people without said item can feel special. Am I alone in this thought?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Given that this was actually a small upgrade for me, considering I was using 2 blue non heroic MH/OH, I went ahead and threw a power torrent on this thing, shortly after I realized it had no intellect on it. Now I feel like a total moron.

Lesson learned the hard way, I suppose.

At least all that Stam will keep you alive longer and thats more hp for more mana! :D

edit: Haven't played a lock in a while, forgetting how they work :D
Edited by Zarcistiri on 6/21/2011 2:11 PM PDT
100 Tauren Druid
Before I post this I'd like to state that I've not fully read into all the banter in this thread. Simply because it's pretty obvious what it is ...

I personally just find it funny that an item that is for funzzies obtained through a dungeon that is for funzzies during an event that is for funzzies is having a debate about it's uselessness. I understand that in the past it may have been useful and such when it arrived every year. But ...

... it's for fun ...

If I were to find it'd I'd just keep it in the bank and equip it every now and then. For ... fun. Le gasp D=

Apologies in advanced for hurt feelings and angry fists. I just find it all silly =P

Like I posted earlier, his information as of the latest PTR build is inaccurate. The Scorchling is nowhere to be found in the Molten Front daily hub.

I was checking some stuff on the wowhead and there were some people claiming they got it in a bag you buy with 30 marks-of-whatever. The bag is called Zen'Vorka's Cache
http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=71631
Is this info outdated?

Ah, hadn't read about that. It's pretty funny that they force you to do 2 days' worth of dailies to even get a shot at that bag which rarely contains the pet when you already spent an entire month working up to that point.

Then again, if you weren't interested in unlocking the entire zone you could just blow all the Marks you get on the bag. But you have to unlock the entire zone to get the best Mark income, so the point is moot.

Pretty dumb that they'd add an RNG element to the tail-end of a month-long grind.
100 Human Priest
People really will complain about anything.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
... it's for fun ...

If I were to find it'd I'd just keep it in the bank and equip it every now and then. For ... fun. Le gasp D=

Apologies in advanced for hurt feelings and angry fists. I just find it all silly =P

You are only half right. The scythe is somewhat novel but it is not a novelty. It should be on par with other gear of it's level such as all other holiday boss gear.

If it were a novelty it would not have the stats it does. You wouldn't consider the flowers from Noblegarden to be a viable off-hand?
85 Human Warlock
Before I post this I'd like to state that I've not fully read into all the banter in this thread. Simply because it's pretty obvious what it is ...

I personally just find it funny that an item that is for funzzies obtained through a dungeon that is for funzzies during an event that is for funzzies is having a debate about it's uselessness. I understand that in the past it may have been useful and such when it arrived every year. But ...

... it's for fun ...

And yet the cloaks that can be farmed from the boss are not just for fun. Even though they'll be easily replaced next week, they are still valid cloaks to wear.

Honestly, one of the reasons my warlock is not level 70 anymore is because I like the scythe and I'd really like to have it. Yet even though my warlock attended the event every year as often as possible, I have yet to obtain any version of it. There are currently very few scythes in the game and this was the only one that would be useful to a level 85 warlock. If I wanted a "for fun" scythe, i would equip the one i have in my bags from the old level 50 warlock quest that doesn't exist anymore.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]