The forums are boring

85 Human Paladin
What's worse, is that this lame thread will be on the front page for about a month.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
You want boring? I've been studying financial law for about 8 hours now.

Jesus, I could use some good trolling now.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
This forum hasn't seen trolling in a long time.
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Rogue
This forum hasn't seen trolling in a long time.

you shut your stupid face

none of you are dumb enough to troll properly, from my perspective anyway
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Rogue
I just had a thought

The forums are boring, and as a result fewer people come to them. Seeing as the only active posts on the forums at any given time are guild recruitment posts (which are incidentally boring), one might think that things would be different than they are

Guild recruitment posts only have value if people are reading them. If so few people look at the forums because they are so boring, then very few people are looking at your guild recruitment posts, which drastically diminishes their effectiveness.

one of two trends should emerge if we assume people are rational:

either the guild recruitment threads will gradually disappear, leaving the forums utterly lifeless (sometimes people say forums get abandoned by everyone but the trolls, but in this case the trolls left first and it turned out they (we?) were the only interesting part)

or people with guild recruitment posts (or an with interest in guild recruitment posts being effective) will post interesting things on the forums, thereby drawing back the audience that will notice their recruitment threads. a possible corollary of this effect is that people will make an effort to make their guild recruitment threads themselves interesting to read, which would of course involve something considerably different than a copy/pasted information section and 7 pages of "bump."

I would end this little thought experiment with a call to action, but i feel like there are some obstacles to that. First of all, there are the people from pure, among whom were some of the best trolls (allurai, magladena, and magz himself come to mind, along with staunch, muney, and legions of others that weren't interesting enough for me to remember their names but were still much more entertaining than your average forum denizen)(slurp slurp). You guys need to repopulate the forums, but that's not the substance of the problem.

The forums became less interesting not because all of the interesting people left, but because the interesting people no longer had targets. like a predatory ecosystem, enrichment of the forums necessarily comes at the cost of some hapless fool.

In substance, resuscitating the life of these forums requires a massive influx of stupid people. I'd like to thank actioncat for his contribution in this regard, and if you could get your friends to start posting regularly we might have a chance at this

and for fuck's sake make an effort to make your recruitment threads interesting
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Rogue
it just occurred to me that your "insult pure" contest could be used to this effect, although it would have to take place on the realm forums. the reward could be gold rather than a run for faction-inclusiveness, but it could be a relatively small amount and you could hold them somewhat more frequently

i think "you could win x amount of gold if you troll pure good on the forums" would spread pretty easily by word of mouth ingame
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I just had a thought

The forums are boring, and as a result fewer people come to them. Seeing as the only active posts on the forums at any given time are guild recruitment posts (which are incidentally boring), one might think that things would be different than they are

Guild recruitment posts only have value if people are reading them. If so few people look at the forums because they are so boring, then very few people are looking at your guild recruitment posts, which drastically diminishes their effectiveness.

one of two trends should emerge if we assume people are rational:

either the guild recruitment threads will gradually disappear, leaving the forums utterly lifeless (sometimes people say forums get abandoned by everyone but the trolls, but in this case the trolls left first and it turned out they (we?) were the only interesting part)

or people with guild recruitment posts (or an with interest in guild recruitment posts being effective) will post interesting things on the forums, thereby drawing back the audience that will notice their recruitment threads. a possible corollary of this effect is that people will make an effort to make their guild recruitment threads themselves interesting to read, which would of course involve something considerably different than a copy/pasted information section and 7 pages of "bump."

I would end this little thought experiment with a call to action, but i feel like there are some obstacles to that. First of all, there are the people from pure, among whom were some of the best trolls (allurai, magladena, and magz himself come to mind, along with staunch, muney, and legions of others that weren't interesting enough for me to remember their names but were still much more entertaining than your average forum denizen)(slurp slurp). You guys need to repopulate the forums, but that's not the substance of the problem.

The forums became less interesting not because all of the interesting people left, but because the interesting people no longer had targets. like a predatory ecosystem, enrichment of the forums necessarily comes at the cost of some hapless fool.

In substance, resuscitating the life of these forums requires a massive influx of stupid people. I'd like to thank actioncat for his contribution in this regard, and if you could get your friends to start posting regularly we might have a chance at this

and for fuck's sake make an effort to make your recruitment threads interesting

...corollary...
...resuscitating...

You use these words, along with the proper use of "whom", yet you don't consistently capitalize. That's interesting, and certainly a step in the right direction, but we still have a lot of work to do to get life back into these forums.
Edited by Muneyus on 6/21/2011 8:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
it just occurred to me that your "insult pure" contest could be used to this effect, although it would have to take place on the realm forums. the reward could be gold rather than a run for faction-inclusiveness, but it could be a relatively small amount and you could hold them somewhat more frequently

i think "you could win x amount of gold if you troll pure good on the forums" would spread pretty easily by word of mouth ingame

Blizz deleted our post...

Therefore, they must not want the forums to be interesting.
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Rogue
i actually blame microsoft word for my lack of capitalization, as it does that for me. frankly unless i'm in work-mode or some similar situation where presentation maters i don't usually care, as capitalization hardly ever has any impact on meaning.

millimeter also never used capitalization, and i do try so hard to be consistent
Reply Quote
06/21/2011 09:26 PMPosted by Keydoglogger
frankly unless i'm in work-mode or some similar situation where presentation maters

PRESENATAOIN ALWYS MATERS
Edited by Funkychicken on 6/22/2011 7:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Rogue
i see what you did there

i didn't think i had the rep 'round these parts for people to go around pointing out my typos, although i guess i do have a report-button stalker so that's half the battle

well played sir, you sure showed me a thing or too
Reply Quote
Well I was going to make a joke about prized tomatoes. But, I went with the smash my face in the keyboard route. I played arcane in wrath, so you can understand why that would come naturally to me.
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Rogue
i would have gone with a latin mom joke, or maybe british as sometimes they refer to their parents that way

i guess most of the audience wouldn't get it... maybe it's over they're heads?
Reply Quote
I also had a drunk Australian joke ready, but I suppose that's a bit redundant.
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Rogue
yeah bruce

no poofters
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
Sorry but I have moved over to the Damage Dealing forums...that is where all the entertainment is at.
Reply Quote
NERF HUNTERS, they can move and shoot, it's not fair D:
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
NERF HUNTERS, they can move and shoot, it's not fair D:

I agree nerf them to the ground!! I kinda be in line with a mage though...you know where I can turn off my monitor and smash my face on the keys.
Reply Quote
06/22/2011 10:33 AMPosted by Sudden
I kinda be in line with a mage though...you know where I can turn off my monitor and smash my face on the keys.

I resemble that remark!
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
I wouldn't make that statement if it wasn't true. Look I'll even show you my proof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsicrxQxs14
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]