=/ How on earth did I get compromised!?

90 Human Paladin
1) I haven't played in almost 3 yrs now. And before I quit/stopped subcription, well.. I wasn't compromised then.

2) After I stopped playing, obv., I wouldn't have picked up any more add-ons. or even visited any WoW fan sites..

3) ugh. How is this possible!?!?!?!?!

4) I'm too scared to even look @ my account. I would rather not know.

5) I was thinking that I wanted to play casual. And.. now. very unhappy =P

(WHY AM I POSTING THIS.. OTHER THAN TO GRIPE ON MY HOME SERVER. LOL)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Should have let them keep the account for a week or two, you would have been lvl'd to 85 and probably had bags full or ore/herbs..lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
8-) *whew* nothin' changed in my account.. XD I mean.. I called Blizz & asked about my acct, and was told it was prob. compromised and that a GM would look into it.

I received an e-mail not long after, from GM ?? saying that it looked like it was compromised.

I checked myself. no............. stillgot all my silly TBC purple gear/gold/whatever other crap I had :O

and so. HURRAY. I may be back.. maybe. ;)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
lolololobo
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
*slap* D:

This is a completely serious matter 8-)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
AT
oh god i love cocaine
Edited by Loboshtiash on 6/22/2011 9:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Bears on crack :O This I gotta see!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
A chance to rekindle old romances? I think yes!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
You actually pay attention to phish emails from scammers trying to steal your login info? lolz. "Your account has been compromised, click here to check your account login" is one of the oldest scams in the book. They re-create a similar website to Blizzard's, but when you think you're logging into battle.net, you're logging into their site - giving them your password & login info.

Do not click links in emails from Bliz. If you want to check your account, go to your browser and actually type in battle.net or log into your WoW account through the game client.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
06/23/2011 08:23 AMPosted by Kodex

I called Blizz & asked about my acct, and was told it was prob. compromised and that a GM would look into it.

^ did you miss that part that she/he said?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
06/23/2011 07:55 AMPosted by Kythiara
A chance to rekindle old romances? I think yes!

qft
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I called Blizz & asked about my acct, and was told it was prob. compromised and that a GM would look into it.

They'll tell you *probably* compromised over the phone if they think there's a chance you screwed up and clicked on a phished email link - giving away login info to get you to buy an authenticator or change login info to prevent gold theft.

I get spam phished emails from "Blizzard" every day for about the last 3 years stating my account has been compromised.. nothing has ever happened. There are clues within the emails that makes them easy to spot as fraudulent..

And to think.. Blizzard could prevent all this if they simply sold gold in the first place. Hell, they could probably offer subscription rates at $5/mo if they subsidized lost revenue with gold sales. This would also eliminate the illegal gold farming market as well as severely reduce the number of innocent people getting their accounts hacked.

Might be against the "spirit" of the game by selling something they want you to collect in game, but the alternative (people who want to buy gold WILL buy gold, and others will get their accounts hacked to steal gold) is worse.

Similar situation with the US's war on drugs. Stop wasting money illegally overseas by legalization, regulation, and taxation of something that is a lesser of two evils. Like gold buyers, people who want to do drugs WILL buy drugs. So find a smarter way to go about it instead of fighing a losing battle that causes more harm than the alternative.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
You actually pay attention to phish emails from scammers trying to steal your login info? lolz. "Your account has been compromised, click here to check your account login" is one of the oldest scams in the book. They re-create a similar website to Blizzard's, but when you think you're logging into battle.net, you're logging into their site - giving them your password & login info.

Do not click links in emails from Bliz. If you want to check your account, go to your browser and actually type in battle.net or log into your WoW account through the game client.

this is why they told you it was compromised, what you need to do is make a new email address for your login and never use it for anything else, that way if you get a real blizzard email you know its true. i even get some emails that say blizzard.com on them, im not sure how they do it but theyre not legit emails and somehow they get that domain on there. you have to be really really careful. they have links that will even take you to a very realistic looking battle.net site. your old login email will continue to get scam/phish mail forever, and lots of it. after that its a matter of using a program that cycles through every single possible password and they have it again. i would also highly recommend getting an authenticator. 7 bucks insures that you never have to worry about it again. i always thought why bother but after you get hacked once you realize that 7 bucks is a bargain.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Hell, Blizz will sometimes even give you false "account compromises." I was locked out of my account numerous times when I was bouncing from base to base in Dirkadirkastan, and even once got an e-mail with "recovered" items (read: bunch of stuff I couldn't sell on the AH and had let sit in my mailbox for too long... thanks Blizz!).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Hai Cyphus! Long time no see!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman

this is why they told you it was compromised, what you need to do is make a new email address for your login and never use it for anything else, that way if you get a real blizzard email you know its true. i even get some emails that say blizzard.com on them, im not sure how they do it but theyre not legit emails and somehow they get that domain on there. you have to be really really careful. they have links that will even take you to a very realistic looking battle.net site. your old login email will continue to get scam/phish mail forever, and lots of it. after that its a matter of using a program that cycles through every single possible password and they have it again. i would also highly recommend getting an authenticator. 7 bucks insures that you never have to worry about it again. i always thought why bother but after you get hacked once you realize that 7 bucks is a bargain.

The amusing part is the email I'm referring to.. my yahoo.com email.. was never used for anything related to Blizzard. I have a private email that I've never given out for my battle.net login - strictly for this security reason. No one can attempt to hack my b.net accounts if they don't even know my login email.

My yahoo email that receives these phishing/scam emails from "Blizzard" are likely discovered through various forums related to WoW, but not related to my b.net account.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
OMG CYPHUS ILU <3 We should get re married in the hills again!

<3 Nessy
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
07/02/2011 01:35 PMPosted by Versedian
, sure it doesnt help you feel that much better, but I did eat him alive today, if I would've read this post sooner I woulda threw in a tbag and screenshot for ya.

Yeah, just like when you touched me outside org, right? I laughed for a good while. Never seen 2 druids, being you and Wrathlol, have more trouble with a PvE ret in my life.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I'm the original Cyphus...check the tabard when you inspect...I'm the first Cyphus ever, everyone else named cyphus copied me.

Get@me bro.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/05/2011 10:32 AMPosted by Cyphus
I'm the original Cyphus...check the tabard when you inspect...I'm the first Cyphus ever, everyone else named cyphus copied me.

News flash, no one gives a !@#$ and if they did it wouldn't matter because the OP is a lot cuter than you anyways.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]