Ask Creative Development -- Round II Answers

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Awesome, about time.

I'm glad they cleared up the RPG Books, now I don't have to try and find them to buy anymore! :D

Which I bet is the only reason they weren't shot down earlier, they were just another part of a Warcraft marketing campagin. Stuff thrown together and given an official Blizzard sticker so it would sell heaps and make more money.

Now that the books are (as far as I see) out of print, there is no need to keep up the pretense that it was real and not just some accountants stupid idea to make more money. The Creative Development team must be relieved that they can finally strike off what they probably regard as an embarassing rush job example of money taking priority over lore.

Oh well, good answers, except for the Northeron one, i'm kinda sad they retconned the location, although I guess it makes sense. Why would the Wildhammers vacate a cursed Grim Batol for a location on the other side of Lordaeron? Better idea to move somewhere not so far away.

Although it does leave open the question of what is that vacant land above EPL...
90 Night Elf Druid
Now that the books are (as far as I see) out of print, there is no need to keep up the pretense that it was real and not just some accountants stupid idea to make more money. The Creative Development team must be relieved that they can finally strike off what they probably regard as an embarassing rush job example of money taking priority over lore.

You know, I may just have to go through the RPG's and make a list of things that came from them. It was not a small amount.
70 Blood Elf Warrior
Oooo.. Lore. I like this! *gobbles it up*
60 Night Elf Druid
Awesome, about time.

I'm glad they cleared up the RPG Books, now I don't have to try and find them to buy anymore! :D

Which I bet is the only reason they weren't shot down earlier, they were just another part of a Warcraft marketing campagin. Stuff thrown together and given an official Blizzard sticker so it would sell heaps and make more money.

Oh well, good answers, except for the Northeron one, i'm kinda sad they retconned the location, although I guess it makes sense. Why would the Wildhammers vacate a cursed Grim Batol for a location on the other side of Lordaeron? Better idea to move somewhere not so far away.

Although it does leave open the question of what is that vacant land above EPL...

People at Blizzard contributed a great deal to those books, and I very much doubt they had anything other than quality in mind when writing them. Whether or not that was the result is debatable; possibly their partnership with White Wolf/Wizards of the Coast/Swords & Sorcery did not give them the direct control they strove for. I cannot believe though that they kept the books as cannon sources for so long purely to promote their purchase.
The RPG discussion on Wowpedia, if it has not been posted already and you want to add something:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Forum:The_RPG_dilemma
85 Worgen Death Knight
Very interesting stuff, very nice to have more divulged about the trolls, the argent dawn and forsaken, and how the forsaken are coping with light.

The line about death knights is especially nice, awesome to get some clarity about a one-off line of dialogue that was never mentioned again.
90 Night Elf Warrior
It's basically the same thing they've always said about the table top RPG as canon but less ambiguous.

There is merit to the RPGs, but any contradictions or alterations in the game take precedent and if you want to cry foul or retcon then you're being overruled.

As he pointed out, we will of course see elements of the RPG used in the future of the game.
We just have no position now to claim the RPG can offer insights outside of vague speculation.
90 Night Elf Warrior
I feel bad for all the roleplayers that roleplay Spellbreakers.

And now, a cool iconic blood elf unit, gone.

At least give blood elf warriors a fancy title/order like our arrogant paladin cousins?

They said there are a small group still left. So pretend you're part of that group.
85 Tauren Druid
So this makes Tauren the only playable race we don't know the origin of. I'd be fine with a simple 'they evolved at the well of eternity.' Trouble is theres no equivalent troll to the tauren's night elf.

The titanic holograms in Ulduar and the Vault of Archavon depict Tauren; so we know that they are at least as old as the titans second coming. Are we then to assume that Tauren are similar to the Tol'vir: created to guard an as-of-yet unknown facility, and completely corrupted by the curse of flesh? This would help explain their deep racial connection to the earth a la the Earthen and their ilk.

But Tauren originate from the Desolace, and I've never heard any indication of a titan instillation on the westernmost tip of proto-Kalimdor...

So many questions.
Edited by Orrak on 6/26/2011 10:31 PM PDT
87 Human Warlock
Why is Deathwing hiding....

Where is he hiding....

Why are we waiting....

Oh, thats right his picture is just on the expansion pack box....

I love the Warcraft Lore, but the writers are too slow, time to bring out more.
Edited by Vaampira on 6/26/2011 11:32 PM PDT
90 Human Hunter
Since when is Deathwing hiding?

Last I checked he was still terrorizing the world and is slated to terrorize the world until he's defeated for the first time on each realm.
90 Undead Warrior

Not really. It just means that the Titans came twice. Once to subdue the Old Gods and reshape Azeroth, the second time to deal with the Curse of the Flesh that the Old Gods managed to put on their creations.

I dunno - the Ulduar chain of events seemed to go (if I'm remembering correctly):

Titans come to Azeroth and terraform the planet.
Titans leave.
Old Gods come to Azeroth and muck up the Titan's work.
Titans come back, defeat Old Gods, and put things back in order.

The C-Dev answer is contradictory to that - it states that the terraforming didn't occur until after the Old Gods were subdued.

It also doesn't mention, you know, the Earthen and the Mechagnomes and the assorted little "helper" races that the Titans had to create and leave behind as part of their projects.

I don't deny the possibility of poorly worded answer - I just think we might be catching Blizz in a bit of a slip-up where they're going back to old lore.

They answered the question as though it were stated: What races native to Azeroth were present during the time when the Old Gods were running rampant? They are not negating what they said before, they are merely answering the question to the best of their ability; while still trying to not back themselves into a corner lore wise.
Edited by Fluermorte on 6/27/2011 9:14 AM PDT
90 Undead Warrior
Awesome, about time.

Four of the RPG books can be found in Blizzard's online store. I'm sorry you had such a rough time of it.

Also, I would like to add that most of the developers (to some degree) enjoy D&D; it would be logical to assume they would make a set of guidelines out there for people who would want to have a Warcraft setting in their table top game. Just because it didn't turn out the way they wanted doesn't mean it was a mad gambit designed solely to make money off us rubes.
85 Blood Elf Warlock
@raktah COULDN'T agree more.
Expansion Idea:
Id love an expansion all about the titans and how azeroth was created. No smoke and mirrors anymore I'd love to see the titans themselves. Make Sargeras a raid boss, and put an EPIC quest chain that explains how and why he went mad. Oh and make a few more bgs and arenas XXXDDD
Pretty sure Sargeras is the most powerful character/creature/anything in all of WoW Lore and is responsible (even by extension) of 80% of the bad stuff that happens on Azeroth.

If there were a Sargeras raid it would probably be when Blizz feels they cannot continue the Lore anymore. At least existing lore...
90 Night Elf Hunter
Q: Where is X? (X = Calia Menethil, Turalyon, Alleria Windrunner, Med'an, Gallywix, etc.)
A: There are several "missing" characters in the Warcraft universe, but they are not forgotten! While we'd love to talk about these characters, doing so would spoil a number of the plots we have for Cataclysm and beyond. Believe us when we say that you will definitely hear about these characters when we're ready to talk about them!

hmmm...... I wonder if this also mean that the Crowleys (someone said at Blizzcon that goblins are going back to Kezan/Undermine in a future patch, im just speculating that worgen are going back to Gilneas), Queen Mia and Princess Tess Greymane might make a come back as well along with Calia Menethil, Gallywix, etc.
55 Goblin Death Knight
All very interesting. Keep these threads coming. Lore Q&As are my favorite.
90 Troll Hunter

06/23/2011 10:42 AMPosted by Bashiok
Are night elves related to trolls in some way
now i also quote now i cnat remember where that trolls are indeed the grand dads of the night/high elves, could have sworn it was in the wc3 RoC book... night/high elves were supposedly trolls that discovered magic also supposedly where troll freakish voodoo beliefs some from and after the high/night elves blew up the well thus sundering the planet trolls created 2 great tribes -gurubashi and the amani- sound familiar? night elves also look like us when you take into acout out colors and ears i mean give me a human nose and no tusks what do i look like? a night elf... know what else this means? trolls and night elves as well as blood elves are all related also... naga the fallen elves are also all related to them all so i'm gunna take a shot and say naga are gunna prolly be a playable race most likely for the horde but possibly for the alliance who knows but my bets on horde simply because alliance already got a "mob/factioned" race and thats the worgen also possibly related but i dont think so
90 Tauren Death Knight
So I guess that the reason I am an herbalist is so that I can make plants suffer and die to make me money. I feel like a cruel bastard.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]